Front Deck Creaking

Just purchased my first Skeeter, 2018 FX20, after being in an older Ranger for quit a while. Still getting used to boat, and the aluminum grid on front deck. Is it normal for the front deck to creak when walking on lids? It doesn't creak while standing up in very front running trolling motor, just when on lids.

My 18 ZX 250 did the same thing. Took it back to Dealer and he called Skeeter. Just in front of the rod lockers on mine (the center storage on yours) where you step onto the front deck area there is a partition under the deck. This partition was cut just a little long and everytime you step on the front that part of the deck flexes down just a little and rubs on the top part of the partition underneath. Skeeter knows about it and told my dealer to get in the rod locker and trim the partition just a little. They did it and problem solved, took them about 45 minutes. My buddies new ZX had the same problem.
    2018 Skeeter ZX 250
    2018 Yamaha SHO 250
    Minn Kota 112 Ultrex Link
    Lowrance Elite Ti 12 and Elite Ti 9
    Dual PP Pro Series II
    Atlas Hydraulic JP

3. Member
    17 fx 20 of mine did the same thing. I just tightened up the bolt inside the lid that attach the deck to the walls of my rod lockers. I run KY lake and the screws will back out after a few months. I keep the tools in my boat and tighten them back up. If your not running much chop they won't back out but it is what it is. Good luck. I've got a pic but never have much luck uploading on this site.

4. Member
    Was a couple of things, hinges and divider on port side rod locker. Tightened and lubed hinges, took out the divider and replaced the weather stripping, added a little weather stripping where divider makes contact to where it mounts. Seems to have fixed it, time will tell
    Last edited by Brent Mason; 12-10-2018 at 08:29 PM.

5. Member
    My 2010 did it sent back to Skeeter etc but in end no permanent fix. I figured out they recarpeted boat so thicker carpet helped. My conclusion is its the edges of the lids (aluminum on aluminum with flattened carpet in between as lids flex they creak. Tried everything you will read here but what I did was buy marine self adhesive seal tape (taco makes??) and instantly solved. Lids fit tighter, more water resistance, no flex. I think stuff I got 1/8" thick (you do not want too thick or effects lids? I did it (3) years ago and still perfect. After several trips to dealer and factory, tightening screws, adjusting lids etc I figured this out in my garage. Easy fix about $50 and if tape/foam comes off etc. easy to cut and place another. Stuff I got is not an open foam so doesn't hold water etc...its marine grade. Hope this helps somebody