Thread: A-10 touch pad

A-10 touch pad

has anyone else been having trouble with their pad? I had to replace it when I got the boat and it's gone out again. Is this common? Kinda expense to keep replacing. I have tested it, pulled plug and used jumpers to activate the pumps and all and everything works. Plug it back in and nothing except bilge which is a more direct connection.
    1999 Pantera Classic
    1999 Merc 200hp EFI

Actually the bilge connection is the same. Disconnect the power and see if it ‘reboots’ and works properly. If the touch pad is the rectangular model they have been extremely durable and thousands are in operation. Cleaning the terminal block on the transom also may improve connections as these are stainless, though still corrode some.

3. Member
    Well I've tried the reboot but to no avail. Pulled the pad out , circuit board so nothing to repair. Guess I'll see about another. This one lasted 2 years.
    1999 Pantera Classic
    1999 Merc 200hp EFI

4. Member
    I have a 2013 and on my 3rd one so far. Just saying

We honestly have had limited numbers of issues with the A10 and only changed because of the Vendor.

We would check the ground quality if you have had two fail. Poor grounds are a major factor on electronics and while the A10 is about 16 years old, there are definite time challenges on some connections.

6. Member
    I read that there is a newer panel "Vision" that has switches. Any truth to this?
    1999 Pantera Classic
    1999 Merc 200hp EFI

Yes, though it doesn’t directly interchange and the dependability is not improved in our opinion. We only changed due to a vendor issue as the units dependability was extremely high with very low percentages of failure. It was one of the most dependable electronic components we install. That includes pumps, graphs, stereo and more.

We wanted this part replicated and the new company was determined to “improve” it. It was a learning process to even meet the dependability and failure rate. While we feel that may be so now, only time will tell. The previous unit was long proven over time.

8. Member
    Is there a way to test the touch pad to see if it is the problem? Also doe's the new pad come with a new plug and pig tail?
    1999 Pantera Classic
    1999 Merc 200hp EFI

They do not like to get wet! I can tell you that! I was in a down pour in my 16 caracal and mine bugged out, started filling up the livewells on its own. Had to cut the manual power off at the battery because it would not stop. And switch it on as needed to bilge out the boat. Going to run a bead of silicone around my bezel on the puma this year.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

The Vision models have definitely been a little challenging on water. They are not a regular A Ten and have a higher failure rate.

I don't want to steal a post from the OP but I am looking at a 2006 Pantera Classic and the owner states that bilge, accessories and horn on touchpad do not work (he wired up a different switch for the bilge) and that the fix is simply a new touchpad ?

Since the other functions on the touchpad work it concerns me that it may be deeper wiring issues ? Are my concerns valid or would a new A10 touchpad likely fix it?

Thanks,
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

It most likely is a ground or touch pad on a 2006 model.

Then again, it’s a 13 model year aged boat. It could be a component failed and the circuit protection won’t allow operation and the parts simply need replaced. Hot wiring the components bypasses the circuit protection and they will function till the wires burn up or the switch fails.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    It most likely is a ground or touch pad on a 2006 model.

Then again, it’s a 13 model year aged boat. It could be a component failed and the circuit protection won’t allow operation and the parts simply need replaced. Hot wiring the components bypasses the circuit protection and they will function till the wires burn up or the switch fails.
    thank you!
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

14. Moderator
    I'd recommend you go to the terminal panel on the transom and ck and clean all the grounds and positives on it.. I have found most issues are there and not the A10.. I often times find corroded terminals or broken wires or both and clean or repair them and everything is good again.. Good Luck

15. Member
    I have thought about that, but if I take the plug off the A-10 and ground the neg. pin and jump the pos pin to the other function pins the pumps and all work. Put the plug back in the A-10 and only the bilge pump works. I'd like to test the pad but I don't have a plug to hook up to lights to test pad function. If you don't feel that is a good test, jumping the plug, I'll go back in and inspect the neg. and pos. connection.
    Last edited by BassCat'99; 12-18-2018 at 09:04 PM. Reason: add more info
    1999 Pantera Classic
    1999 Merc 200hp EFI

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCat'99 View Post
    I have thought about that, but if I take the plug off the A-10 and ground the neg. pin and jump the pos pin to the other function pins the pumps and all work. Put the plug back in the A-10 and only the bilge pump works. I'd like to test the pad but I don't have a plug to hook up to lights to test pad function. If you don't feel that is a good test, jumping the plug, I'll go back in and inspect the neg. and pos. connection.
    Sounds to me like jumping is creating a good ground, then plugging it back in reverts back to the bad grounds. I would check the grounds as Sherm said. I've seen that problem on Basscats before also.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

17. Member
    Hadn't thought of it like that, thanks Mr. Jones. I'll go back in there and try a good thorough cleaning of the grounds. You and Sherm are usually spot on.
    1999 Pantera Classic
    1999 Merc 200hp EFI

Any place we put a ground tie would be a point of corrosion, though we prefer the main block and it focuses the ground issues and connections to one easily traceable spot.

19. Member
    Thank you BCB for helping too, I'm to much a novice to really know where to start. Thank you all for all this info.
    1999 Pantera Classic
    1999 Merc 200hp EFI