Merc 250 Pro XS analog or digital controls?

This is probably a dumb question but how would you tell the difference? After driving my buddy's new Ranger with the Pro XS 4 stroke. I was amazed at both the lack of any clunking or cable feel when shifting. Also the throttle response on the hot foot seemed to be instantaneous and no resistance felt. I asked him if he had digital or analog control, and he didn't know.

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jchips View Post
    If you have a dts engine, you won't have hydraulic steering; hence no Seastar unit at the engine.

DTS engines (FourStroke, ProXS, and 300Rs) have a front mount hydraulic steering cylinder on the CMS (conventional midsection) models. Verado models have an integrated hydraulic steering cyclinder. Externally, the DTS and mechanical engines are physically the same. The only difference will be in the controls and hot foot.

Thank you guys...

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    This is probably a dumb question but how would you tell the difference? After driving my buddy's new Ranger with the Pro XS 4 stroke. I was amazed at both the lack of any clunking or cable feel when shifting. Also the throttle response on the hot foot seemed to be instantaneous and no resistance felt. I asked him if he had digital or analog control, and he didn't know.
    Serial Number tells the tale pretty clearly.

Some good info above, but since there are CMS models that ARE DTS engines, some of it didn't necessarily apply.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davidwademarine View Post

DTS engines (FourStroke, ProXS, and 300Rs) have a front mount hydraulic steering cylinder on the CMS (conventional midsection) models. Verado models have an integrated hydraulic steering cyclinder. Externally, the DTS and mechanical engines are physically the same. The only difference will be in the controls and hot foot.
    +1, with the exception that externally there are some differences relating to the Conventional Mid, Verado Mid, HD Racing Mid/Trim, etc.

Serial Number tells the tale pretty clearly.

Some good info above, but since there are CMS models that ARE DTS engines, some responses didn't necessarily apply (and were removed).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor