Help with question needed, Possible switch to Garmin

I'm currently using Lowrance products on my boat and was considering a Garmin product with Panoptix capabilities.

I'm also interested in the mapping feature of the Garmin.

My questions for you Garmin experts:

1-can a map created on a Garmin Echomap 93sv be saved to an SD card and then be used in another Garmin unit?

2-could the made map/sd card from the Garmin be used in a Lowrance product? My thought for this one is no.

Thank you, Tony.

Hi there,

1. Yes
    2. I don't believe so, no. It's proprietary.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    Hi there,

1. Yes
    2. I don't believe so, no. It's proprietary.
    Exactly what I had thought.

I make maps of Canadian lakes I visit that don't have maps available and the Echo mapping appears to be the best fit for this process. Immediate use versus uploading and waiting weeks to create a map.

Further research is needed before choosing what would be the best Garmin unit for mapping and using the Livescope system.

Thank you for responding.

4. Member
    If you are going with echomap then it must be a plus model. 73 is the smallest you can use but most (including me) recommend nothing less than 9". The QuickDraw system is the same on all Garmin's that have it but the better the transducer, the better the mapping.

SE Kansas grass grower

ROCK CHALK

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twh57 View Post
    Exactly what I had thought.

I make maps of Canadian lakes I visit that don't have maps available and the Echo mapping appears to be the best fit for this process. Immediate use versus uploading and waiting weeks to create a map.

Further research is needed before choosing what would be the best Garmin unit for mapping and using the Livescope system.

Thank you for responding.
    There are some lakes in Ontario I wish I had Quickdraw for years ago

6. Member
    Do you make mapping for lowrance in Reefmaster?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ring fry View Post
    If you are going with echomap then it must be a plus model. 73 is the smallest you can use but most (including me) recommend nothing less than 9". The QuickDraw system is the same on all Garmin's that have it but the better the transducer, the better the mapping.

SE Kansas grass grower
    I agree with the larger screens. I currently run 4 Lowrance hds 10s. I purchased a gen3 9 touch and didn't like the smaller screen, although only 1 inch smaller. Size does matter besides women.

Still researching the Garmin line but looking at the Garmin 1022 with a Garmin plus 93sv with transducer cv52hw-tm from Cabelas($599) and then the panoptix livescope.

Using the 1022/panoptix livescope at the front of the boat and the 93sv package at the console for mapping.

Any thoughts pro/con on this setup would be appreciated.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by natrix View Post
    Do you make mapping for lowrance in Reefmaster?
    I do have the reef master program. My main computer is an apple and the reef master is more user friendly(my opinion) with a windows operating system. So I struggle using a windows laptop.
    I would like to find someone willing to help tutor me with the reef master program. I did like the map I was a able to create with reef master.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by twh57 View Post
    Using the 1022/panoptix livescope at the front of the boat and the 93sv package at the console for mapping.

Any thoughts pro/con on this setup would be appreciated.
    you know that the 1022 and the 93sv chirp plus can't be linked together. They will not share anything.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coachallen View Post
    you know that the 1022 and the 93sv chirp plus can't be linked together. They will not share anything.
    Oops, that's why I am still researching and asking for help from the people/experts in the know.

Thank you for that bit of info.