Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Chatterbait I made

Here is the chatterbait I made where I am trying to duplicate the original Phenix bait. My bait is on the left and the Original Phenix is on the right. My blade I swiped from a chatterbait that was laying around because I needed a black one. Still working on the best way to paint blades black but what does everyone think?

Allen
    Last edited by Munkin; 12-08-2018 at 04:50 PM.

I think you mean "Bladed Jig"

Looks like a good match to me.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Looks good to me!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    Nice match!! Looks good.

5. Moderator
    Nice

Very nice !!
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

7. Green Fish Bait Brewery
    Allen, good looking baits.
    As for the blacking if the blades, try these options;
    1. Heat the blades and spray black powder or dip in fluid bed.
    2. Try some gun barrel black coating liquid
    3. Heating them and tossing into cold water may get you a smoke color you like.
    Ron
    Green Fish Bait Brewery (FB)
    Veteran

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walking Dead View Post
    Allen, good looking baits.
    As for the blacking if the blades, try these options;
    1. Heat the blades and spray black powder or dip in fluid bed.
    2. Try some gun barrel black coating liquid
    3. Heating them and tossing into cold water may get you a smoke color you like.
    1. Always end up with too much paint but I will give it another chance.
    2. Does not work on stainless steel as I tried.
    3. That didn't work either and I tried motor oil, water, pepsi.

Allen

Mountain dew?

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Mountain dew?
    I want them black not greenish.

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Munkin View Post
    I want them black not greenish.

Allen

HMMMMMMMMMMM

12. Member
    Allen, those are nice and I have a question. Is that a custom head or a Sparkie head?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smalljaw67 View Post
    Allen, those are nice and I have a question. Is that a custom head or a Sparkie head?
    Sparkie head that I sanded the hook slot to accept the wire trailer keeper.

Allen

I always used a figure 8 link and a spinnerbait hook. I made a few weedless ones using an Arkie mold. I didn't even own any of the 30* degree hooks until I bought a bullet nose jig mold last year. When I saw this thread, I went down to my tackle bench and found that the 30* hook fits perfectly in my Sparkie mold. Now, I'm going to have to make a few like yours! I hope I can get them to hunt as well as many of my figure 8 link baits do.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I always used a figure 8 link and a spinnerbait hook. I made a few weedless ones using an Arkie mold. I didn't even own any of the 30* degree hooks until I bought a bullet nose jig mold last year. When I saw this thread, I went down to my tackle bench and found that the 30* hook fits perfectly in my Sparkie mold. Now, I'm going to have to make a few like yours! I hope I can get them to hunt as well as many of my figure 8 link baits do.
    I gave up on the figure 8 links. The ones I bought are weak and bend very easily. Never could get the right ones.
    LET'S GO BLUES!!! WILL WE MAKE THE PLAYOFFS IN 2024?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Dude 365 View Post
    I gave up on the figure 8 links. The ones I bought are weak and bend very easily. Never could get the right ones.
    Same here.

Allen

Looks like the original has a 30* leg hook and you are using a 60* leg hook. I like 30's myself.

So, I made 6 baits this afternoon using the 30* hook. I only had one issue...breaking the hook eye when trying to open it. I broke 7 hooks in the process. Back when I made a few baits using an Arlie mold, I had to open the hook eye using a punch. I recall that I had to use many light taps with a hammer to avoid breaking the hook eye. I thought that I was using light taps this afternoon,but broke 7 hooks in the process. Is there a secret to opening the hook eye that I’m missing? BTW, I’m using the Mustad 30* hook. Could it be tempered differently than the hooks that you all are using?

I use a punch in a drill press. So you have controll of the pressure opening the eyelet. Put a piece of metal/aluminum with a hole larger than the hole in the hook eye, On the edge of the metal. Place metal on top of a piece of wood to raise off the table. With punch in drill press, Lower the punch into hook eye on the hole. Only open the hook eye just enough to get the blade on. Some hooks are "Harder" than others. Those are the brittle ones and need more care.

20. Member
    The drill press method Mike told me about works best as I have not broken any hooks so far. In my experimenting I found the Mustad 32886 hook broke way more often than the Gamakatsu ones.

Allen

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast