Thread: Resting brisket

Resting brisket

I am planning to cook a brisket and it needs to be on the table at a specific time. Since I don’t want to pull it off before it is done I’ll plan to put it on early enough to ensure that it is done.

If it cooks quicker than I plan how long can it rest in a cooler?
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

Line with plenty of towels, above and below the meat. It will last 3-4 hours and still be warm, tender and juicy!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Line with plenty of towels, above and below the meat. It will last 3-4 hours and still be warm, tender and juicy!
    I'll second this. Foil, towels, cooler. It'll be almost as hot as when you pulled it. I always shoot for the meat to be finished about 2 hours before we eat. Gives a little built in cushion in case it was slower than expected. For a packer trim I use the 1.5 hour guesstimate. I trim a little fat off but not much.

4. Member
    Wrap in aluminum foil and put it in a 48 qt. cooler with the fat side up for two hours...if you need it to be in the cooler for longer, wrap in towels...

5. Member
    You need to let the brisket rest/breath for 5-10 min before you wrap and put it in a cooler or it will keep cooking. No idea why fat side up or down would make a difference once its cooked, but wrapping it in towles is a good idea. It can stay 4-5 hours easy wrapped like that in a good cooler.

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC