Making jig skirts

I'm thinking I might like to try my hand at making jig skirts. Can anyone offfer any points where to start, best tools, etc? Thanks

2. Member
    Fishingskirts.com has about every color made in skirt material. They also have videos to show you how to make the skirts. As for skirt tool it is a personal preference? I like the basic $5 pen looking tool and have been using it for years.

Allen

3. Member
    Its pretty simple. doesnt cost a lot to start making skirts.
    Watch a couple videos and you will be all set. Then you can start buying more skirt colors and having fun with all the color combinations
    98 Triton TR21, 200 Johnson Venom
    2011 RAM 1500 Loramie Longhorn

Lure Parts Online has some really cool colors.
    LET'S GO BLUES!!! WILL WE MAKE THE PLAYOFFS IN 2024?

5. Member
    Do you all just use the pencil type tool?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rosuallu View Post
    Do you all just use the pencil type tool?
    I assume you mean for putting on the bands. Don't do that if you plan to keep the jigs very long. The bands will rot. Wire tying is the best.

7. Member
    The bands are easiest to use just stay away from the any that are not black. Besides if you decide to then wire tie them you can just do it in front of the band.

Allen

8. Member
    Fishingskirts.com gets my vote. I mostly hand tie with thread anymore but if you are just starting out, the cheap pencil tool is the way to go. instead of the rubber bands, use the small o rings that fishingskirts.com sells, they last longer and give better flare IMO.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jig_Man View Post
    I assume you mean for putting on the bands. Don't do that if you plan to keep the jigs very long. The bands will rot. Wire tying is the best.
    I actually meant for creating the skirts. say I wanted to mix colors, what tool do people use? An din terms of hand tying with either thread or wire, I assume that you have to tie it directly to a jig head where a rubber banded skirt you can add later?

Sorry for all the questions but thanks for the feedback. I really am a newbie to this.

With the rubber skirt collars you can make a bunch up and use them as needed and then either keep the rubber band on there or tie with copper wire or floral wire and slide the band off to use again. Wire tied jigs handle skipping better as the skirt won't slide down the hook shank. Rubber collars can rot over time as well. When tying, yes you are tying directly onto the collar of the jig just underneath the head. When tying you can position your colors how you want with a little tension on the wire. then when you are happy with how it looks you can cinch it tighter...not too tight but tight enough keep it in place. then twist the tag ends of the wire and snip it with about 3-4 wraps remaining and fold that down and give it a squeeze with needle nose pliers and your all set. PM me and I will babble some more if you need help.
    LET'S GO BLUES!!! WILL WE MAKE THE PLAYOFFS IN 2024?

11. Member
    Look up smalljaw's videos on youtube, best I've found for hand tieing jigs both with wire, and thread. Fishingskirts.com has a ton of good video content as well.