Thread: Z185 livewell

Z185 livewell

Hello,
    Is there a replacement timer switch I can install that will give me more options than the current timer on/off option on my 2018 model?

I would like a low/med/high if possible.

Thanks,
    Last edited by StevenMCC; 12-08-2018 at 01:59 PM. Reason: edit

2. Member
    Has anyone plugged an aftermarket timer in such as the Leisure Lectronics VARIABLE Livewell Timer Aerator Pump 12V Switch for Boats? I can just unhook the current and use this unit hidden under the dash. I may 3d print a box to hold it.

Still would like to know if there is a direct replacement so I don't have to do a work around.

The current timer does not cycle enough to keep fish all day from this year of use. I have lost a couple and had others I didn't think were doing well at the end of the day.

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I have not heard of a direct replacement. However, if you are open to other possibilities before trying to follow that substition plan you’ve outlined, have you tried running your livewell on constant, or plugging the overflow and then recirculating on timer? I’ve never been in a Z185, but the shallower Ranger livewells keep fish quite a bit healthier if you can make the water deeper. Plug the overflow with a standard bilge drain plug, pump in fresh water until it’s just below the fill nozzle (so that aeration still takes place), and then run your pumps on recirc as much as your battery allows. It also helps to use a good treatment such as G Juice. I’ve found that raising the water level just 2 or 3 inches can make a big difference to the fish. It gives them more water to hold dissolved oxygen, deeper water might stay a bit cooler, and deeper water also gives them more room to swim around, which helps their respiration. Just some thoughts.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

4. Member
    On that thought I can permently raise the water level with L-shaped pipes let the water get several inches deeper before draining? Have 3d printer can modify...Boats at Knox till spring, but I think I will raise the level and add a timer.

Has anyone moved the overflow hole up in their livewell to get a little more depth?
    Last edited by StevenMCC; 12-10-2018 at 06:41 PM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenMCC View Post
    On that thought I can permently raise the water level with L-shaped pipes let the water get several inches deeper before draining? Have 3d printer can modify...Boats at Knox till spring, but I think I will raise the level and add a timer.

Has anyone moved the overflow hole up in their livewell to get a little more depth?
    I don't have a picture on me, but this is exactly what I did. I bought a 90° elbow of PVC. It was a loose fit so i used electrical tape to make it a tight fit. This raised my water level by about 2 inches and seems to give fish a lot more room. I have had no trouble with water sloshing out while running. I may 3d print a better fitting one later.

But the thing I have found helped the most in keeping fish alive was to buy some of the fin clip weights. These weights clip on the anal fin of the fish and keeps the fish upright and on bottom. Seems to keep the fish calmer and they don't have to waste energy to hold themselves vertical. Especially deep caught fish. Since I started using these I have not lost a fish yet.
    2018 Ranger Z185
    Yamaha 150 SHO w/ Tempest 23P
    Ultrex 80 Link
    Helix 10MDI & 12MSI G2N at console
    Helix 10 M+DI G4N w/ M360 and Garmin 93 w/ LiveScope at bow
    Atlas Jackplate
    12' Talons

6. Member
    Printed a cover that I will try in the spring. This is version 1 and will be flexsealed taped on to raise the level 3-4"

7. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Looks nice, Steven. As I posted earlier, I’d engineer the setup so that the spray nozzle still has some room to spray, so that oxygen is picked up in the air and mixed into the water. I don’t know precisely how important that function is, but since all aeration systems are designed with several inches of air space between nozzle and water level, I’d emulate that as well as possible. When I plug my livewell and raise the water level a few inches, I turn the spray nozzle to the side, so that the spray travels a bit farther before entering the livewell contents. Of course, you probably have this taken into account already.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

8. Member
    Has anyone replaced the 800gph pumps with 1100 gph pumps? The main difference I see is the 5amp fuse verse 6 amp(have never seen a 6A fuse). Just trying to get my livewell working better to meet my needs...

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenMCC View Post
    Has anyone replaced the 800gph pumps with 1100 gph pumps? The main difference I see is the 5amp fuse verse 6 amp(have never seen a 6A fuse). Just trying to get my livewell working better to meet my needs...
    Every time I hear of someone doing this, it leads to them turning around and saying the livewell over fills now. It’s nice to be able to pump in more water at a faster rate but if you’re trying to use the system as it was intended, the overflow will not be able to keep up with the additional GPH.

10. Member
    Added a cup to my livewell overflow and ran for a few hours today. It seems to work well and increased the depth by a few inches. That should take me from 23 to at least 26-27 gallons.