Thread: Ice rods

Ice rods

What are some high end ice rods?

Also what action do you guys like for all around, trout, crappie, etc.

Oh, one other question, I see a lot of rods that don't have rod seats and would prefer not to use tape, what else is
    there to attach a reel to the rod?

Thanks.

2. Member
    Google Thorne Bros, they have some of the best ice rods on the market! You can call them and they will guide you through what your looking for! 763-572-3782 tell them Shane S sent you

3. Member
    Yep, Thorne Brothers

4. Member
    I also have a couple St.Croix Custom Panfish rods that are very nice. For me the 28” Medium light handles jumbo perch, gills, and crappie very nicely. I put a spring tip on for jigging to catch the reall light bites where they almost pick up the lure. As for reel mounting, if it doesn’t have a reel seat I use the handle wrap from Mudhole Rod building.... buy a couple feet of 1” and cut it in 1” long pieces and heat it tight, very clean and comfortable.

Tuned Up Custom Rods- TUCR have a stellar reputation.

6. Member
    Thorne Bros, JT, Tuned Up, and St Croix are all good.

A lot of good options, many of the ones listed above are really overpriced for what you get though. Those options mentioned above all have really nice rods....Thorne Brothers, DH Custom, TUCR, JT, etc. Alternatively, you can have a truly custom one made by Bass Khang for less than those and will end up with exactly what you want...that's the way to go if you want something high end, in my opinion: http://www.basskhang.com

Off the shelf, the Frabill Quick Tip rods are really good. The newer generations of 13 Tickle Sticks are good as well. I like these types as you can get rods with enough backbone for bigger fish, but that are still sensitive enough for panfish.

I like a reel seat. For those rods that don't have it, self fusing tape is the best option in my opinion. Works like electrical tape, but only sticks to itself so no sticky residue. A lot of people like castration bands as an alternative, those work as well but generally require a tool for putting them on. You can find the self fusing tape in any big box hardware store, usually near the painters tape: https://www.menards.com/main/electri...0154523&ipos=1
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

How are the St Croix legend black ice rods.
    Last edited by Flex; 12-12-2018 at 03:31 AM.