Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Garmin downview imaging L/R view video

At the end of this video he drills two holes in the ice and then shows how the PS22 can show which side of the center hole the bait is on. This is exactly how I expected the Livescope to show two jigs on each side of my trolling motor. Instead the seem to be one on top of the other. Thoughts on this?

Pfish

2. Member
    I'm speculating. Sounds like its the orientation of the transducer. Had he turned the transducer 90 degrees if his lures were within the cone they would have looked like you described.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Member
    There should be two modes, LiveScope Forward, and LiveScope Down. At the end of the video he is using PanOptix down.
    2018 Ranger Z185
    Yamaha 150 SHO w/ Tempest 23P
    Ultrex 80 Link
    Helix 10MDI & 12MSI G2N at console
    Helix 10 M+DI G4N w/ M360 and Garmin 93 w/ LiveScope at bow
    Atlas Jackplate
    12' Talons

4. Member
    There should be two modes, LiveScope Forward, and LiveScope Down. At the end of the video he is using PanOptix down.
    I think you are confusing LiveVU and Livescope.

4:32 shows the PS22 transducer.

That is not the new Livescope transducer

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    I think you are confusing LiveVU and Livescope.

4:32 shows the PS22 transducer.

That is not the new Livescope transducer
    From what I can tell, both PanOptix LiveVu (PS22) and LiveScope (LVS32) have down modes and forward modes. https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/panoptix/
    2018 Ranger Z185
    Ultrex 80 Link
    Atlas Jackplate
    12' Talons

6. Member
    The whole video is about using the PS22. Part of it is about LiveVu Forward and part of it is about LiveVu Down. There's nothing confusing in the video.

pfisher asked a question about LiveScope and used this video to make his point. I didn't do a good job trying to provide an explanation as to the circumstance when LiveScope would and would not show the lure like the video does towards the end. I'll try again. When the LiveScope transducer is oriented to do LiveScope Down it will perform similar to what you saw in this video of the PS22. It will be more detailed. When a lure is dropped down to the left and another lure is dropped down to the right they will show on screen as being left and right of center if the transducer is pointed Left to Right. If the transdcuer is pointed Forward, you lose the left right discrimnation and they can appear over top each other. That's on both the PS22 and LiveScope.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    The whole video is about using the PS22. Part of it is about LiveVu Forward and part of it is about LiveVu Down. There's nothing confusing in the video.

pfisher asked a question about LiveScope and used this video to make his point. I didn't do a good job trying to provide an explanation as to the circumstance when LiveScope would and would not show the lure like the video does towards the end. I'll try again. When the LiveScope transducer is oriented to do LiveScope Down it will perform similar to what you saw in this video of the PS22. It will be more detailed. When a lure is dropped down to the left and another lure is dropped down to the right they will show on screen as being left and right of center if the transducer is pointed Left to Right. If the transdcuer is pointed Forward, you lose the left right discrimnation and they can appear over top each other. That's on both the PS22 and LiveScope.
    That's the point I was trying to make as well. But you described it much clearer. Thanks.
    2018 Ranger Z185
    Ultrex 80 Link
    Atlas Jackplate
    12' Talons

8. Member
    LiveScope version:

He is using a metal bait though. Plastic may not be seen so clearly.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post

You are correct but mine, and a buddies, won't show them that way. Both of ours show the baits on top of each other and not at all if we move them to the right side of the trolling motor. So for example if we had a spider rig set our it would show all are baits in one clump and not spread across the screen from left to right.

I thought we should be seeing the same image as the PS22 in the video on down? Does yours show that image as the video shows it?

This thing is deadly on crappie but I use it on forward 99% of the time simply because I can't understand what I am seeing on the down.

10. Member
    I have to admit that over 90% of the time I use mine on Forward too. I can see in front of me and behind at the same time and that's a big plus. I'm stuck for a while as we are about to get snowed in. But next time out I'll get a screenshot of what mine shows.

You situation is tough for me to imagine. Never would I be in shallow enough water to have the range small enough for the individual baits of a spider rig to show individually. I'd like to see a screenshot of you doing this.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pfisher View Post
    You are correct but mine, and a buddies, won't show them that way. Both of ours show the baits on top of each other and not at all if we move them to the right side of the trolling motor. So for example if we had a spider rig set our it would show all are baits in one clump and not spread across the screen from left to right.

I thought we should be seeing the same image as the PS22 in the video on down? Does yours show that image as the video shows it?

This thing is deadly on crappie but I use it on forward 99% of the time simply because I can't understand what I am seeing on the down.
    To see left and right, wouldn't you need to rotate the transducer where it was perpendicular to the boat? As opposed to parallel to the boat for forward view?
    2018 Ranger Z185
    Ultrex 80 Link
    Atlas Jackplate
    12' Talons

12. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    The more I see videos ,like these,it really starts to make sense even the Panoptix is very cool .My thought on Garmin has been they went a different direction instead of showing you awesome tree pics you get real time video of fish and your lure which is what I want

13. Banned
    Thanks for the responses folks. I'll try some different stuff next time on the water.

14. Banned
    If you have it on forward and set the range to 25-30 feet you will see your baits just fine. You will have to turn it to see the ones on the opposite side cause of the cone angle not being wide enough.

If I’m understand what you’re asking....to see batis side by side...you have to turn the trolling motor to the left or right depending on what side the other bait is on.

16. Member
    I'm not sure myself of the question. I thought he was talking about having the LiveScope transducer oriented for LiveScope Down. Then having one lure on the left side of of the boat and one lure on the right side but seeing them together. That would mean to me that he had the transducer pointed in line with the boat instead of perpendicular.

17. Member
    I made a professional, exactly to scale drawing to show the relationship between transducer orientation (black) and signal area (red).

2018 Ranger Z185
    Ultrex 80 Link
    Atlas Jackplate
    12' Talons

18. Member
    Panoptix and Livescope are still a 2d representation

You won't see two side by side lures show up left to right in frontvu. But you will in downvu.

19. Banned
    But I don't see my lures side-by-side in down. A friend doesn't either. If the "professional drawing" above is correct I should be seeing that in down?

20. Member
    But I don't see my lures side-by-side in down. A friend doesn't either. If the "professional drawing" above is correct I should be seeing that in down?

In a boat?

I have noticed that lures are much easier to see when ice fishing vs in a boat.

The ice does not move much, so the lure is straight down, in the sonar longer.

Next time tie a 2-3oz weight 2ft above the lure and see if they show up on the down image.

You will probably see both the weight and the lure below it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast