How long to let rod finish set up before use ?

Weather starting from scratch or just a repair how long after initial set up until first use ? I am usually not in a big hurry after a day on the dryer . Most of the time 5-7 days just to make sure . What is everyone elses game plan .

I've used repaired rods the next morning( within 8 hours) after a thick coat of high build flex coat and not had problems. Not ideal but gives you an idea

I always say 48 hours

I always say 48 hours.

I've used one 36 hours after applying...It spent the night on the dryer, was moved to standing in the corner the next morning, packed into a rod case that night (24 hours after application), and was pulling walleye through the ice on Lake of the Woods the following morning.

I think most of the common finishes are fully cured by 24 hours as long as they're kept at the proper temperature. I've watched Flex Coat videos where the old man is showing how he does something and talks about taking them out to use them the next morning. More realistically, I personally would wait until the finish doesn't feel tacky anymore (i.e. feels like it will feel if left to sit indefinitely), which is usually 24 hours in my experience with Flex Coat and ProKote as mentioned above.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

I've used em in 24 hours.

7. Member
    How about 2nd coat, assuming everybody else does a 2nd , seems to need 24 - 36 hrs to not have a tacky feel to it, I usually wait 48 or more before 2nd to make sure 1st is dry.
    Roger Ross
    Piedmont Mo.
    Bass Cat / Yamaha

8. Member
    Depends on temps and conditions and what your using, I have good luck with Flex Coat high build and if the temps are right and lack humidity I can do a second coat 24 hours after the first. I usually throw mine on the spinner for 3 hours in the tent with the heater going and I am solid the next day. Too cold and it will take your finish forever to set up.

9. Member
    I've used them the next morning too but usually let it set a couple days. In the summer I'll throw rods I just put finish on the night before in one of the cars in the driveway. They set up pretty quick once that car heats up from the sun.