Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can't upgrade Ultrex transducer!

So rigged the cougar with a new Ultrex back in Feb. Had no Idea that when I bought it that the built in trans isn't down, side or total scan compatible (my fault, shoulda done more research). Took forever to figure out why my Gen 3 wouldn't work. Now Minkota has upgraded the new ultrex with the total scan transducer but cant buy the new trans and install it it on the older ultrex. Kinda pisses me off. I'm sure they could have figured out a way to kit the older models. Is Bill Gates running MinKota now? Sh!* is obsolete before you get it out of the box!

Yep, it's only a 2-D transducer ! I mounted a LSS-1 Ducer and Scan box on my HDS 8 up front and seems to work well. I do have to point the TM forward tho to be the most accurate.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

The down imaging unit only works with humminbird I believe. I have a total scan mounted to mine p
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

4. Member
    Wouldn't do you any good as it would only work with Hummingbird.

5. Member
    The transducer on the new ones is down imaging and works on humminbird only
    Nitro z21

6. Member
    Just get an external with a transducer shield and saver. It’s better anyway for shimming your ducer to get it perfectly straight down. I don’t get the hype for these internal transducers, just one more thing to go wrong in the TM head. I’ve fished in stumps and shallow rocks with an external for years. Never had an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownmaniac View Post
    So rigged the cougar with a new Ultrex back in Feb. Had no Idea that when I bought it that the built in trans isn't down, side or total scan compatible (my fault, shoulda done more research). Took forever to figure out why my Gen 3 wouldn't work. Now Minkota has upgraded the new ultrex with the total scan transducer but cant buy the new trans and install it it on the older ultrex. Kinda pisses me off. I'm sure they could have figured out a way to kit the older models. Is Bill Gates running MinKota now? Sh!* is obsolete before you get it out of the box!
    Seems you are clueless about the built-in MEGA DI transducer just like you were with the US2.
    Minnkota is owned by the same company that owns Humminbird (Johnson Outdoors).
    Some new models of Minnkota motors are available with a built-in Humminbird Down Imaging transducer that does three Down Imaging frequencies (455/800/1200 kHz) also does Dual Spectrum CHIRP 2D sonar in the 140 to 240 kHz range.
    That transducer is compatible with Humminbird units that have MEGA DI Imaging and Dual Spectrum CHIRP 2D sonar capability.

No different that the Minnkota trolling motors with iPilot LINK. ONLY works with compatible Humminbird units. There a still motors with iPilot for those off-brand units.

Your Lowrance is irrelevant with those models. There will still be the same models with the US2 transducer that does 83/200 kHz 2D sonar.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Hang tight... the new Gen 3 transducer will be coming out soon as an accessory added part, which will clamp to the head also.

Great info right here!!!Thanks BCB!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Hang tight... the new Gen 3 transducer will be coming out soon as an accessory added part, which will clamp to the head also.

10. Member
    Yes Wayne... I am clueless as I stated in my original post. I actually work for a living and don't have the time to keep up with all of the technological advances by the hundreds of electronic companies that change daily.
    You actually provided many of us with some useful information, it's a shame you have to be a DICK.

thanks BCB! I appreciate the info. I wanted to buy a new live for my in dash unit and move my existing 12" gen 3 to the front. good to know I can soon.

I am sure those numbers in his signature mean something. I have no idea either.

Yes Wayne... I am clueless as I stated in my original post. I actually work for a living and don't have the time to keep up with all of the technological advances by the hundreds of electronic companies that change daily.
    You actually provided many of us with some useful information, it's a shame you have to be a DICK.

thanks BCB! I appreciate the info. I wanted to buy a new live for my in dash unit and move my existing 12" gen 3 to the front. good to know I can soon.

Get a HDS12-LIVE unit and 3-and-1 Transducer and mount to that Ultrex. You'll be happier.
    2015 Legend V20
    250 ProXS
    Lowrance HDSLIVE 12s/16
    BBC Member since 2003

13. Member
    Yes you did state that : " Had no Idea that when I bought it that the built in trans isn't down, side or total scan compatible (my fault, shoulda done more research)"
    and then came back to bashing MinnKota (Johnson Outdoors) for coming out with something new without doing the research again to find out it wouldn't work with your Lowrance anyway. I think Wayne was just trying to point out that even after purchasing a product without researching or talking to dealer that knows their product, that you still continued to make statements without doing any additional research. We all work for a living, but usually when someone is contemplating a $2200 - $ 2500 purchase, one tends to know what they're buying, or at least when I sell a unit, I make sure the purchaser knows what they are getting.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    Yes you did state that : " Had no Idea that when I bought it that the built in trans isn't down, side or total scan compatible (my fault, shoulda done more research)"
    and then came back to bashing MinnKota (Johnson Outdoors) for coming out with something new without doing the research again to find out it wouldn't work with your Lowrance anyway. I think Wayne was just trying to point out that even after purchasing a product without researching or talking to dealer that knows their product, that you still continued to make statements without doing any additional research. We all work for a living, but usually when someone is contemplating a $2200 - $ 2500 purchase, one tends to know what they're buying, or at least when I sell a unit, I make sure the purchaser knows what they are getting.
    John
    Amen! And see this all to often.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

15. Banned

Hundreds of electronic companies?? We have minn Kota and motor guide for trolling motors. Lowrance, Bird, raymarine, Garmin for graphs. 5 minutes on google and you would have had your answer. We all work for a living, so that’s not an excuse especially when dropping that kind of money. Not saying the mistake couldn’t have been made, but to come on here and bash something that was 100% your fault is not warranted.

16. Member

Well, while I agree Wayne can be a smart @$$ when answering questions that what the forum is here for. Hind sight is 20/20 but its alright to ask questions before you purchase something. Theres plenty of helpful people here.
    The gen 3 transducer BCB is referring to is for humminbird as well. Minnkota wont be putting a lowrance transducers on their trolling motors any time soon. You can still get a total scan and mount on the trolling motor fairly easy.

17. Member
    John
    Exactly!

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

18. Member
    Chris Brown,

Insulting Wayne like you did is very poor taste/class.

Wayne, John and many others spend hours answering questions and helping resolve problems.

19. Banned
    John
    Hit nail on head. Common sense goes along way, some just don't have it.

20. Member
    The way I see it, you (accidentally) did the right thing. I don't think it's possible to buy an Ultrex without a built-in transducer. Since the DI transducer wouldn't have been compatible with your Lowrance units, you didn't waste your money on an "upgraded" transducer that you still couldn't use. In reading Wayne's response, I don't actually see any dickishness, just plain (bolded for emphasis where appropriate) information (except possibly for the adjective "clueless", which I interpret more as an observation than a judgement).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast