2000 200hp EFI...2.5L or 3.0L

Posted this in the other Mercury forums but sharing here as well

Looking at a 2001 BassCat with a 2000 200HP EFI motor on it....buyer isn't sure if it is a 2.5L or 3.0L block can anyone help me with this?

He said the serial number IS OT101680

Also is this motor able to record hours ?

Thanks,
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

2. Member
    If it is a EFI it will record hours.

3. Member

4. Member
    i was told by a small dealership that it takes a special tool to read the hours on early model efi engines(i have a 2000 175 efi and they could not read the hours) said they dont have the right tool,you might ask in the merc 2.5 form,i think it needs to be a optimax to be a 3.0 engine

Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    Out of curiosity how did you come to that conclusion? Certain number or letter in the serial number signify that? I would like to know just for future identification. Thanks!

6. Member
    That’s a 2.5 liter motor and it does not record the hours. If it was a year newer with the down draft intake like the optis it would store hours but according to the S/N it has the old style laser injection and those ecu’s do not record the engine hours.

7. Member
    2.5 as per merc product history ,no run time for this ecu ,dealer access to web site , also reply in merc motor section one up
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

thanks all!

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buster502 View Post
    i was told by a small dealership that it takes a special tool to read the hours on early model efi engines(i have a 2000 175 efi and they could not read the hours) said they dont have the right tool,you might ask in the merc 2.5 form,i think it needs to be a optimax to be a 3.0 engine
    Neither of those are accurate.

B*******51... believe you've gotten answers in a couple of threads now (one of which has been moved to this forum also). One post will prevent confusion in the future.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    thanks