Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Braid to leader knot

for you all running braid for your main line. what knot are you using to tie your floro leader on to the braid.

thinking of switching some of mine around to Braid for the mainline this year.

2. Member
    ALBERTO, easy to tie and vey dependable

Recent discussion about 6 posts below this one: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=945444
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

Uni to uni, never had an issue with it

5. Member
    alberto
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

6. Member
    Alberto 10 wraps down and 8 wraps up haven’t had any issues.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogchunker View Post
    Uni to uni, never had an issue with it
    THIS

8. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I did try the Alberto after watching the video and it’s really easy to tie once you get past doubling the leader line. It’s actually easier than the uni to uni and I’ve only tied it a few times...couldn’t hurt it hooked to the door doing crazy hooksets!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

9. Member
    Alberto. It’s thinner than the uni knots
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

10. Member
    I use Uni to uni. I try to keep my knots to the Paloma’s or the uni.

I’ve gotten really good at tying them and don’t have any issues with either.

11. Member
    Blood knot. Been using it for years without a failure

12. Member
    Pete Gluszek knot is the easiest to tie for me,plus never had one break and its the thinest

Blood knot or Uni Uni. I'm faster and more successful with the Uni Uni. Once you get the hang of using all ten fingers at the same time, it's pretty easy to tie on the run.

I prefer the Blood knot because the tag ends terminate in the middle of the knot so they don't catch the guides as bad as other knots. It will also slip out if not tied 100% correctly and with the right amount of wraps.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Ranting incoherently

15. Member
    I prefer the FG knot. Its aggravating to tie but it's the smallest I've found for the eyes on the rods with the smaller eyes.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by plastics man View Post
    Pete Gluszek knot is the easiest to tie for me,plus never had one break and its the thinest
    Didn't find a written example and the video with Ike on youtube was not close enough. By chance is this the same ? Thanks

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deadadrift89 View Post
    Didn't find a written example and the video with Ike on youtube was not close enough. By chance is this the same ? Thanks
    Shin's knot has made me a lot of money this fall. Tried FG and Alberto both failed on hooksets. Tied them both off water and tried on chair leg with no problems. Then first time on both knots and shakey head worm, both broke in the knot. Shin's knot hasn't in a bunch of hooksets.
    2013 X19 F200LB Yamaha

I think the great thing about Shin's knot is that not only is it thinner than all except the FG (and it's much shorter), it's easier to tie than the Albright or Alberto and in my experience just as strong (comparing correctly tied knots to each other). The problem with the difficult knots, especially the FG but also with the Albright and Alberto, is that you can end up making a mistake which signficantly weakens it. The FG can slip out after several hundred casts if it's not locked down well and the tag is cut too close, or it catches if the tag is cut too long.

The Albright and Alberto are more forgiving, but both can cut into themselves and/or roll up when cinching them down if the wraps aren't precise - especially the Alberto where you need to lay the up wraps in between the down wraps. There is a possibility of getting wraps rolled up on each other with Shin's knot as well, but it's so much easier to do correctly that it's never been a concern for me and I'm not exactly a "graceful" or dextrous person. You also don't have the braid being wrapped over itself, which in my mind means there's less risk of having it cut into itself. Just love that knot. Thank you to whoever shared it this past spring!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

I like Shinn's knot. I practiced it in the garage until I got pretty good with it. However, I never do think to use it when out on the water. When in a hurry, I always choose the Uni/Uni.

I watched the video many times and came to realize that basically what it is, is a start of Allbright that finishes like a Uni. Other than the wraps inside the second loop, it's exactly an Albright Special....just take the tag and pinch it instead of looping it before the 10 wraps. I don't see anything wrong with either method. I always preferred the Albright to the Alberto because it's 10 wraps in one direction instead of 5 up and 5 down, which makes it twice as thick to my thinking.

My frustration with either of those knots is the part where you're coming out of the loop in the same direction as you went in. When using fine line in windy conditions, that's the part I'll get wrong every time and it will fur sur pull out if not done correctly. Another reason I like old Uni/Uni, it doesn't care which direction the tag goes.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Blood, the uni uni fails me
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast