Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Blood, the uni uni fails me
    Then you aren't tying it right. Never a broken knot in over twenty years,

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    Then you aren't tying it right. Never a broken knot in over twenty years,
    Yup,I catch big Redfish,and Snook with that knot..never a issue

The only trouble with a Uni that I ever have is when I try to tie a single Uni to a hook or something. I can not figure out what I do wrong but it will pull out on me almost every time. Double Uni, no problems ever.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    I like Shinn's knot. I practiced it in the garage until I got pretty good with it. However, I never do think to use it when out on the water. When in a hurry, I always choose the Uni/Uni.

I watched the video many times and came to realize that basically what it is, is a start of Allbright that finishes like a Uni. Other than the wraps inside the second loop, it's exactly an Albright Special....just take the tag and pinch it instead of looping it before the 10 wraps. I don't see anything wrong with either method. I always preferred the Albright to the Alberto because it's 10 wraps in one direction instead of 5 up and 5 down, which makes it twice as thick to my thinking.

My frustration with either of those knots is the part where you're coming out of the loop in the same direction as you went in. When using fine line in windy conditions, that's the part I'll get wrong every time and it will fur sur pull out if not done correctly. Another reason I like old Uni/Uni, it doesn't care which direction the tag goes.
    I always stick my ring finger through the loop while tying it. Then you can make sure the loop isn't spinning while you're wrapping, come up through the loop to start then back down through to finish. It helps keep everything else together as well. Brent Ehrler demonstrating his "RP" knot (Albright) is what taught me that trick. He explains it at about 1:20 in this video, though of course I'm using it for Shin's knot:

2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

5. Member
    No offense to BE but is that not an Alberto knot?
    2004 Triton TR21X * 2021 Mercury 250 4 stroke

Quote Originally Posted by trenthamp View Post
    No offense to BE but is that not an Alberto knot?
    How so? It's exactly like the how to.... https://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/alberto-knot .
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    ALBERTO, easy to tie and vey dependable
    +1

8. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I’ll say this fellas, I learn something on here every day. I’ve always used the uni to uni when saltwater fishing. Never have I used a leader when freshwater fishing, just haven’t seen a reason.

Anyway, I got my first Megabass lures this week and after tying the Alberto knot all week I added about 16” of leader to the topwater, 110 & flapslap just to allow a little “give” since I’ve been a little too quick on the draw the last few weeks.

I have been using a #1 Norman’s Speed Clip and that came off but the leader went on for this weekend so I can try it. I definitely don’t want to lose my new baits but that knot is strong and easy to tie!

Thanks for this discussion!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

9. Member
    Glad i could help

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    I’ll say this fellas, I learn something on here every day. I’ve always used the uni to uni when saltwater fishing. Never have I used a leader when freshwater fishing, just haven’t seen a reason.

Anyway, I got my first Megabass lures this week and after tying the Alberto knot all week I added about 16” of leader to the topwater, 110 & flapslap just to allow a little “give” since I’ve been a little too quick on the draw the last few weeks.

I have been using a #1 Norman’s Speed Clip and that came off but the leader went on for this weekend so I can try it. I definitely don’t want to lose my new baits but that knot is strong and easy to tie!

Thanks for this discussion!
    I seriously doubt you get much "give" from 16" of leader, but you know saltwater fish are much harder on knots than bass so the uni/uni is good.

11. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    16-20” gives about an inch of stretch when I grab the lure and braid and pull them apart. I’ve always wanted to try a leader on braid because the limp braid gets caught in my front hook so much it drives me nuts. I went and threw some casts in my golf course pond between storms and it worked well.

I just wanted to take a little bit of that anchor rope feeling out of my braid. Always tinkering.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

12. Member
    Geez, makes me wonder whats wrong. The Alberto and Uni to Uni have failed me so many times. Usually on a hard hookset, where they break. Have had zero problems since switching to an FG, finished with a Rizzuto knot and drop of super glue. Good on those who never break off on Alberto and Uni to Uni knots. You must be living right!

Quote Originally Posted by brianf. View Post
    Geez, makes me wonder whats wrong. The Alberto and Uni to Uni have failed me so many times. Usually on a hard hookset, where they break. Have had zero problems since switching to an FG, finished with a Rizzuto knot and drop of super glue. Good on those who never break off on Alberto and Uni to Uni knots. You must be living right!
    Regardless of what knot you go with, there are rules that must be followed ... 1) There is no such thing as "close enough". If the knot isn't perfect and symmetrical and looking like it should be on a magazine cover, it will fail. No overlaps or odd wraps. 2) Always wet the loose knot with water, spit, whatever before pulling it tight. It can't be wet enough. Even if it looks perfect, if you cinched it up dry it got weakened through the heat of friction and will be the weak link.
    Ranting incoherently

14. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I put 3 leaders on, went outside and hooked my lures to the back of my boat trailer and I set the hook as hard as possible multiple times. No stretch, no slippage.

I agree, you can’t be fast, it can’t be wet enough, and you have to help cinch it down sometimes to make sure there’s no overlaps.

15. Member
    Been using Alberto and not had any issues.
    Dustin Davis
    Fish the days no one else wants to!!

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

16. Member
    Depends on my line. If I'm adding a heavy fluoro leader to 30lb braid or higher, I use a surgeons knot.
    On my dropshot rods with 8-10lb nanofil and 8lb fluoro leader, at home I use an FG, on the boat double uni.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

17. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    for you all running braid for your main line. what knot are you using to tie your floro leader on to the braid.

thinking of switching some of mine around to Braid for the mainline this year.

18. Member
    I have been using the Alberto--no issues. May try Shin's Knot for grins tho
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

Quote Originally Posted by okiebass View Post
    I have been using the Alberto--no issues. May try Shin's Knot for grins tho
    The Alberto is probably stronger, but the Fukae is quick and easy to tie on the boat, and when done correctly is thinner as well. If you let it bunch up it will get thick though, pretty much like any knot. I haven't had any problems with it but really only use this type of knot on one setup - 15lb braid to 8lb tatsu - which is really hard to tie the FG on, the lines are so small/thin.

I tested Alberto vs. "Lazy Alberto" (aka Fukae) knot relatively recently with fishing on the brain and nothing better to do. Made several half fluoro/half braid loops with an Alberto joining one side and the Fukae joining the other side. Put one side of the loop around my trailer ball, put the other around a fence post, then drove forward. This was what I had to do because neither one would break by setting up a braid-fluoro-braid "rig" and tying the ends to the fence post and truck respectively - in hindsight that shouldn't have been surprising as I've broken my leader knot exactly once before my lure knot using either of these knots. The "lure" knot broke in all those tries.

Anyhow, despite the fact that it's the one I use, I figured the Fukae would always break first. Turns out that in 5 tests the Alberto broke first twice and the Fukae broke first three times. Put another way, the Alberto was stronger in 3/5 or 60% of my tests. This could've been entirely due to something specific to my tests like how I tied the knots or something else, but to whatever extent you take those findings as scientific, that sort of weakly supports the opinion that I think we all carry that the Alberto is a stronger knot. For me, that also cemented the fact that I would not be messing around with the Alberto anymore. The Fukae knot is close enough in strength (and as mentioned, never breaks for me before my lure knot anyhow), is much easier for me to tie, and is thinner. Done deal. Of course his is all worth the price you paid for it, but there it is.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast