Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First Ride in an L boat with the new Merc 4 stroke

Spent the day on Rayburn in a 2019 Ranger Z521L...2019 merc 4 stroke Pro XS on a Bobs 10 inch Hydraulic...wow what a motor. Starts up with a nasty growl. The first time I shifted into gear was amazed at how smooth it was. Instant throttle response. Did I say smooth...I swear the lack of vibration and smoothness of this engine will make any boat a more enjoyable experience. Hole shot was excellent, midrange punch was very good..we didn't get any top end report due to conditions. Everytime I looked back at the motor..there was like zero movement...just running and smooth as hell.

The 2019 Ranger Z521L it was mated to was was so tight and smooth...I quickly figured out maybe why some guys are claiming that the L boat rides better than the C boat even though they share the same hull..its the DAMN 4 stroke...so smooth and vibration free. This boat also had 2 16 inch new HDS Live displays...WOW...sonar has com a long way boys...super impressed with the 4 stroke...anybody worried about Ranger Quality since the BP buyout..don't worry..this boat was absolutely beautiful and the fit and finish was excellent. I didn't think I was in the new engine/boat market having a 16 with 130 hours...but that may be changing!

IMG_2592 by dean c, on Flickr

IMG_2591 by dean c, on Flickr

IMG_2590 by dean c, on Flickr

IMG_2589 by dean c, on Flickr

2. Moderator
    Fast Ride eh? How fast? Missed that detail :)

Quote Originally Posted by bassburch View Post
    Read a bit slower...since you missed the part where I said conditions prevented a top end report

4. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar

I didn't buy my Ranger for speed. All these bass boats today with 250's and similar length hulls are all within 10 +/- mph of each other, who cares if my Ranger will do 73 mph and your "brand X" does 77 mph?!?!?

If I was worried about speed I would have left my rods at home, picked up boat racing and bought a cigar boat.

I'm more concerned about what the bass are doing under the water than with you "blowing" by me at 77 mph when I'm doing 73 mph (I normally cruise at the blistering speed of 30-35 mph 99% of the time anyway)..........

Quote Originally Posted by bassburch View Post

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

5. Member
    beautiful!

6. Member
    That is about the best color combination I've seen and I'm not typically impressed by black boats. Man that's sweet!
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by ericm View Post
    That is about the best color combination I've seen and I'm not typically impressed by black boats. Man that's sweet!
    The white part was like a pearly color..beautiful! The seats and the grey sea dek cockpit floor just tied all together. BTW the L boat seats are a little more comfortable than my C boat..that little bit of bolstering on the sides is nice.

8. Member
    Good looking Ranger.
    2006 Z21 Ranger
    2006 Mercury Racing 250XS

9. Member
    Beautiful Rig!! I was wondering how the new Mercury v8 pushes these boats.. I just sold my Legend and I'm thinking about buying a 520L or possibly a 521L Ranger.. Does anyone know what size hydraulic jackplate is recommended on these rigs? I had a 12" bobs hydraulic on my v20 and loved it.. just curious on what size is recommended for the C and the L series boats?

10. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IDCI07 View Post
    Beautiful Rig!! I was wondering how the new Mercury v8 pushes these boats.. I just sold my Legend and I'm thinking about buying a 520L or possibly a 521L Ranger.. Does anyone know what size hydraulic jackplate is recommended on these rigs? I had a 12" bobs hydraulic on my v20 and loved it.. just curious on what size is recommended for the C and the L series boats?
    If you go to the Ranger home page, scroll all the way to the bottom and click on “my warranty.” Then on that page, again at the bottom, click on “fiberglass warranty.” The details of what setback plate is acceptable for each boat and each motor appear in that document.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

11. Member
    thats a beauty !

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    If you go to the Ranger home page, scroll all the way to the bottom and click on “my warranty.” Then on that page, again at the bottom, click on “fiberglass warranty.” The details of what setback plate is acceptable for each boat and each motor appear in that document.
    Ill check it out. Thank you!

That's a good looking rig. Thanks for the report out.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

14. Member
    Great looking boat for sure...

15. Member
    That is a sweet ride! Great report!

16. Member
    Good looking boat!! Not to be a downer but isn't it a bad idea to trailer with the plate all the way up?

Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    Good looking boat!! Not to be a downer but isn't it a bad idea to trailer with the plate all the way up?
    Yeah..I meant to mention that to him..but forgot. I know atlas recommends against that, but not sure about Bob's.

18. Member
    ....awesome post

19. Member
    Doesn't get any better than that rig
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

20. Member
    Nice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast