Anyone what to share there Ultrex (or Xi5) experience?

I have read a bunch of stuff on line and some of it is a bit disturbing about the Ultrex quality control. Some people have had it in the shop for repairs more then they have it out on the water, this seems to include the newest models.
    I have a couple of new Helixs and now am thinking of upgrading my tm. My only experience with bow mounted tms is my present 24v Maxxum Pro 80. Me and my 1994 Rick Clunn Nitro 16 ft like to fish for smallies on the bigger lakes and rivers.
    My main interest is the gps assist nav.
    I've only glanced at the MotorGuide Xi5 w/gps...info overload!!!!
    Last edited by steelebob; 12-07-2018 at 07:21 AM.

The Xi5 compares to the Terrova. Motor Guide has nothing to compare with the Ultrex. The Ultrex will operate somewhat like your Maxxum--foot control cable steer.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Banned
    For every problem you see online there are many that have zero issues. Mine has not been trouble free but there in no way I'm going back :-)

I do have an authorized repair center 20 miles from the house so that helps.

FWIW you there are two models. One that links to the HB units and one that doesn't. Make sure the person you are talking to has the knowledge to answer your questions.

4. Member
    I have two fishing buddies that have an Ultrex with Spot-Lock. One is on a new boat, the other a year or so old. They both have been trouble free and they love it. Gave it serious consideration when my 2007 Maxxum 80 had a problem about a month ago. But, with help from John Jones, we got it fixed and didn’t cost me a penny.

5. Member
    I had one of the earlier models of Ultrex and did have a known problem with the control board after close to a year of use. It was repaired under warranty at no cost and has worked error free since. They just extended the warranty period from two years to three in November. Not sure if that is common with any other model or brand but sure they wouldn't be offering it if there were major issues with quality control. It definitely has made fishing easier for me. Would recommend giving it serious consideration and maybe give one of the board sponsors a call that can answer any questions you might have.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

6. Member
    Wondering if the Ultrex pedal will fit I'm my R & R tray that I have now. How much bigger is the ultrex pedal compared to my Maxxum pedal?

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger62 View Post
    Wondering if the Ultrex pedal will fit I'm my R & R tray that I have now. How much bigger is the ultrex pedal compared to my Maxxum pedal?
    The size is posted in the Trolling motor forum:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=769477
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    I traded the Maxxum 70 that came on my boat out for an Ultrex 80 with Link when I bought the boat in May. Haven't had the first bit of trouble and the Ultrex is worth every penny. Spot lock is awesome, hold course is great, and the link capability with Humminbirds to follow contour lines is pretty nice as well.
    2018 Ranger Z185
    Yamaha 150 SHO w/ Tempest 23P
    Ultrex 80 Link
    Helix 10MDI & 12MSI G2N at console
    Helix 10 M+DI G4N w/ M360 and Garmin 93 w/ LiveScope at bow
    Atlas Jackplate
    12' Talons

9. Member
    I had an Xi5. Couldn't wait to get rid of that thing. IMHO, it is junk. Worst purchase I've ever made. I've been running an Ultrex since they first came out. On my second one now. No issues with either. Built like a tank, the other is built like a cheap knock off. There is a reason you've never seen one on a pro's boat.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger62 View Post
    It fits in mine.....

11. Member
    I have had my Ultrex for almost two years without any issues. I have the 80lb 45” link model. I fish small electric lakes so it also serves as an emergency motor to get me back to ramp. Had to do that once with a 12 volt motor!! 5 hours back to ramp makes a long day. Love the spot lock! The main reason that I bought it was,it is cable steer! It took about 15 minutes to get used too.