Anyone what to share there Ultrex (or Xi5) experience?

I have read a bunch of stuff on line and some of it is a bit disturbing about the Ultrex quality control. Some people have had it in the shop for repairs more then they have it out on the water, this seems to include the newest models.
    I have a couple of new Helixs and now am thinking of upgrading my tm. My only experience with bow mounted tms is my present 24v Maxxum Pro 80. Me and my 1994 Rick Clunn Nitro 16 ft like to fish for smallies on the bigger lakes and rivers.
    I've only glanced at the MotorGuide Xi5 w/gps...info overload!!!!

I've had a Xi5 for 3 years. I don't see myself ever going back to cable steer. It does everything the ultrex does. I really like having the remote pedal but most people hate it. They have a hard time controlling it. My only complaint is the mount and overhang. The motor hits my roller so I have to take it off,launch then put it back on. It only take 15 seconds but makes it so my wiring never gets cleand up. It was the best thing I've ever bought for fishing.
    Pm me if you have any questions.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

3. Member
    I got a used boat with Ultrex in September. Probably made it out 12 times and very impressed. The anchor button is awesome. Responds very fast, I wont be hooking up to electronics so I don't know about that but so far motor is great.

4. Member
    Bought an Ultrex in April or June. I died the very first trip out. A washer fell off something and wedged in the armature. Cabela's sent me another right away. That one has been pretty ok. I did accidently cut the US2 cable as most people seem to have also. Also intermittently have an issue with the power switch turning on by itself. Disappointed in build quality but love the functionality when it's working.
    2004 Tracker Avalanche with 150 Mercury XR6

5. Member
    I added an Ultex to my boat this summer. Best money ever spent. No problem what so ever with it. Unboxed, mounted it and ran it for the summer. The best part if you all ready have a Minn Kota trolling motor you won't have to drill any new holes.
    2004 Ranger 521VX with 2019 Evinrude G2 250 H.O.

6. Member
    I just put on new ultrex this spring and its awesome.

7. Member
    Love my Xi5 (connected to my Lowrance Elite Ti 9)

I'll never use a regular trolling motor again.
    I love all the time I get to fish rather than trying to control the boat.
    If you get a fish on just hit the lock button and you stay put.
    Want to dig around in the cooler for a cold beer and not loose your spot?...hit the button..BAM...boat stays put.
    Have to dig a hook out of a fish on a windy day?? Hit the pinpoint button and when you're done with the fish you look up and your in the exact same spot...not banging against the rocks.

Pin-Point is awesome.

Pull up on a flat..... drop a route onto the map..... and let the motor take over. Use the fob to control your speed.

I don't use the foot pedal very often but have figured out how to overcome it's quickness. Use the fob and Lowrance touch screen most of the time.

Very quiet.

Yada Yada Yada

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FTMS View Post
    I added an Ultex to my boat this summer. Best money ever spent. No problem what so ever with it. Unboxed, mounted it and ran it for the summer. The best part if you all ready have a Minn Kota trolling motor you won't have to drill any new holes.
    We did the same thing in July, Fastman 151 from NJ. told my wife Jane that I was getting way too old to be standing on that pedal all day. It's taking us a little bit of time to get use to it but it's all good, love the spot lock !!!!

spot lock?????? maybe tell a no fishin jersey guy how to s actually where to do it.

10. Scraps
    Considering this upgrade, MG vs. Ultrex. The Xi5 looks slightly cheaper but does it have all the features, primarily the spot lock. Would be very helpful fishing rockpiles.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

11. Member
    Spot Lock is a great freature and game changer, but the rest of the motor is pretty good also. It steers very nice and the auto pilot for fishing shore lines is pretty good also. What it really allows you to do is to move around the boat with out worring where the boat is headed. Fishing in high wind situation is actually fun. Hit spot lock and move to the back of the boat and fish instead of fighting with the wind to try and hold on your location.
    2004 Ranger 521VX with 2019 Evinrude G2 250 H.O.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jomo924 View Post
    spot lock?????? maybe tell a no fishin jersey guy how to s actually where to do it.
    Joe, just get some sleep, do you know what time it is ??

Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    Considering this upgrade, MG vs. Ultrex. The Xi5 looks slightly cheaper but does it have all the features, primarily the spot lock. Would be very helpful fishing rockpiles.

The Ultrex has all the features of the XI5.
    The xi5 came out first.
    The difference is the ultrex is more like driving the boat like your used to. It has a pedal with a cable steering feeling. It also stows and deploys the same way.
    The Xi5 is totally wireless. The pedal is difficult to get used to. You also have to really pay attention to the way its mounted. It has quite a overhang. I most cases it requires a slide mount. Launch the boat then move the tm forward so it doesn't hit the roller. Personally the way it's mounted is the only thing I don't like about it. Imo the biggest difference is the pedal. I love being wireless and having a clear deck if I want. That being said alot of people just can't use the pedal.
    It takes time to learn. If your not coordinated and steady on your feet and willing to spend some time with it you will not be happy with pedal.
    In rough water it's almost impossible to use the pedal. The remote works awesome though so to me its no big deal. It's hard to recomend the xi5 over the ultrex because its a totally different tm than most people are used to steering.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

14. BBC SPONSOR BassFishin Electronics's Avatar
    The Ultrex is an amazing tool and worth every penny. I have no idea how Motorguide has even survived at this point. Just look around at a tournament and I bet 80% or more of the guys are running an Ultrex. They are definitely a game changer for anybody who fishes offshore patterns. Yes they have some cheap components but so does everything these days...