Homemade fish attractors

Can anyone point me to the law if it is legal to put your own attractors in Patoka?

2. Member
    I don't believe so, legally, since it's state owned. You'd have to go through the DNR process to get approval. I believe that it's on the list of projects for Bass Unlimited and the DNR to do some habitat projects, but I don't have a firm date on when that's supposed to happen.

I have a few places where the structure that held fish has pretty much went away. Patoka is really loosing its wood. And we all know about the grass.

4. Member
    DNR constructs the PVC cubes (Georgia cubes) and wooden cribs. Pretty inexpensive and easy to mass produce on volunteer days. DNR takes them out and sinks them and publishes the coordinates. Sandy Clark-Kolaks the south region fisheries biologist is a good contact for these types of project requests. If she can't help, she can steer you to who can.

Travis, I read years ago that you need a state issued permit to do it legally. Once you place it the location is listed on dnr maps as a "fish attractor". I don't know where it's listed in any regulations, just remember reading it. Do it at night like the guys on Monroe.

6. Indiana Bass Club Moderator sc419795's Avatar
    I can neither confirm or deny that I have participated in any midnight covert operations putting structure in a lake.
    Steve
    2006 Sylvan Expedition Sport
    2006 Yamaha F150 TXR s/n 63P L 1041829

10 4!

Know in the corps lakes you have to have a permit from them. People do it all the time without the permit of course.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

Will you be adding some fish also, so there will be something to be attracted?
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sc419795 View Post
    I can neither confirm or deny that I have participated in any midnight covert operations putting structure in a lake.
    Maybe...once or twice...

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sc419795 View Post
    Same here. I may or may not have been in a truck that looked like we were in logging business headed to the ramp. Lol

12. Banned
    But I’ll tske offshore “hardspots” over brush any day of the week at Patoka.

13. Member
    I know nothing ......

Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    But I’ll tske offshore “hardspots” over brush any day of the week at Patoka.
    I have access to some huge shale plates....

I spoke to DNR about it 2 years ago. A permit is required per structure item for all DNR managed lakes. Exact coordinates for said structure placement must be provided in advance to receive DNR permit. Cost per permit is $100. The DNR rep I spoke to advised that I be like 'everyone else' and just place my attractors at night when no one was looking...

16. Member
    They should let people put attractors out because they won't do anything for the lakes

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton bass View Post
    They should let people put attractors out because they won't do anything for the lakes
    As long as its natural brush, I don’t see what the problem is. We need all the habitat we can get since it looks like we’re never gonna have grass again

18. Member
    What is the fine? If any, if they catch you placing a fish attractors in the lake? Just curious if anybody knows or it’s as much as a stupid 100 buck permit?