Thread: Costco gas

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by e-tec View Post
    It's all the same gas. The only difference is the additive package.
    Yep, all the gas comes from the same area distributor.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain,CT.
    2000 R-81 Ranger, 2015 175 Pro-XS
    Disabled American Veterans, Life Member
    Vietnam Veterans of America, Life Member
    An Khe Vietnam, 66-67

2. Member
    Four years truck and boat, no problems here.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Quality of fuel is directly related to the price you pay for it.

4. Member
    I only buy gas at Sam's for my truck, when I am at home. It's .60-.70 cents cheaper than the other gas stations in town. Costco is the same price, I just don't have a membership. I've noticed no difference. The boat only gets non-ethanol gas. It's about $1.25 more a gallon at the moment.

5. Member
    Costco doesn't refine or blend that gasoline, probably the same fuel as other stations around the area.

I would not take a chance on it in my vehicles, damn sure not the boat, Chevron, Union or Shell only for me, then I know I have done the best I can regarding fuel. I am of the firm belief that lower prices means you will give up something. Profit margins are less than .20 cents per gallon and they are not going to sell it at cost! I see the results almost daily of increased repair cost of consumers so called saving money on gas. In the long they always pay a lot in total expenses. Not worth the risk. This is just an not so humble opinion of a old Auto tech with 50 years of experience. I guess I shouldn't say these things as the cheap fuels really do provide a lot more work and job security for me. Yea go ahead and run it and tell all your friends how great it is...….
    PS: Most of the time you get what you paid for when spending a little more, you almost always get exactly what you paid for when you take the cheap way
    Most fuel related issues connected to getting a bad tank of gas are from stations that have fuel sitting in the tanks too long. Costco sells a ton of gas daily so its gonna be fresh which is probly the most critical thing. Our loca pilot has the fuel tanker deliver twice daily for gas and 3 times daily for diesel its amazing how much fuel flows through that place. Thats where we get all of our fuel for everything. Zero issues.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

7. Member
    I have used Costco gas for years with no problems(both regular and hitest). Best part for me is its on the way to my favorite lake and they open the pumps at 6am=no lines. In my case the pumps are perfectly spaced so that when I pull up my vehicle is positioned perfectly at one pump and my boat at the 2nd pump so I can fill up both. Quick, easy and the 4% rebate on top of their already low price makes it as economical as it is going to get.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Mercury Spitfire X7 19” prop
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    4.2 second Hole Shot (measured using Vessel View Mobile)
    Engine mounted in 3rd hole
    Minn Kota Ulterra-Link w/built in MDI 80 lb thrust 60” shaft
    Humminbird Helix 12si Gen1 chirp on console
    Humminbird Helix 15si Gen4 cho on bow
    Humminbird Mega360

Dotline two step transom boarding ladder
    Tracker trailer bow boarding step

8. Member
    Justfishing
    Well stated, however even ARCO is on the list as top tier and in my opinion based on a lot of years and thousands of emissions test results and motor tear downs, it is not an acceptable fuel for me for anything. Top tier is minimum requirements. There are far superior fuels out there. There are also a lot of oils that meet minimums specs as well, but they do not get ran in my motors. You are also correct in that it is long term degradation in most cases not short term. Quality of fuel is directly related to the price you pay for it.
    There are no published reports on the amount of detergents in different brands of gas. At least top tier adds more detergents to gas the the EPA requirement. The top tier guidelines were arrived at in conjunction with the automakers. At a minimum I feel comfortable using top tier. Are some top tier better than others, could be but how would you know

9. Member
    It's as good as any I suppose. They all come out of the same pipe....

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Justfishing View Post
    Are some top tier better than others, could be but how would you know
    He knows by the price! lol

11. Member
    I run Costco fuel in my Toyota for the last 2 years. Pulling a enclosed trailer 80% of the time for work. I average 50-60k a year in milage. Absolutely zero issues here to date. My tundra just rolled over 230k in miles. Save some money and run their fuel 

12. Member
    Costco gas no different then any other gas I buy and I buy it frequently. When I went to HI on vacation this past summer I was not prepared for the line. not worth it. In KY, the cost is a bit better then other stations but we have zero line. It was like $1 a gallon savings in HI over the summer but honestly not worth it
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

13. Member
    I would not take a chance on it in my vehicles, damn sure not the boat, Chevron, Union or Shell only for me, then I know I have done the best I can regarding fuel. I am of the firm belief that lower prices means you will give up something. Profit margins are less than .20 cents per gallon and they are not going to sell it at cost! I see the results almost daily of increased repair cost of consumers so called saving money on gas. In the long they always pay a lot in total expenses. Not worth the risk. This is just an not so humble opinion of a old Auto tech with 50 years of experience. I guess I shouldn't say these things as the cheap fuels really do provide a lot more work and job security for me. Yea go ahead and run it and tell all your friends how great it is...….
    PS: Most of the time you get what you paid for when spending a little more, you almost always get exactly what you paid for when you take the cheap way
    you ain't got a clue and that goes for some of you other guy's also! I deliver product to gas stations every day and have seen multiple different companies/refineries delivering to the same stations! I have even asked the fuel guy's and you never know what your going to get besides octane levels or diesel!

Costco adds more additives than most great gas

I run sams fuel through the vehicles but I’m particular with what I run through my efi. I’ll pay the extra for the boat engine elsewhere.
    Larry Eby, 2004 ChampioN 188 Elite/2003 200 Hp Vmax OX66
    "Romans 10:9"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123