Thread: Costco gas

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. mikesxpress
    This is the decal you should see at the pumps for Top Tier Detergent fuel.
    And Shell stations carry it too.

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I have seen the same tanker filling the tanks at a Murphy, Sam's, Circle K, etc......i'd say its pretty much close to the same.....i use Murphy 98% of the time, no issues....now for the boat, its non ethanol fuel that goes in it unless i'm in an area that does not have it.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. mikesxpress
    Fuel delivery trucks usually have separate compartments allowing them to carry different fuels on the same load to various customers.

4. Member
    Go with the pure gas in the boat if possible. Around louisville all gas is marathon, comes out of the same tank. Probably true in most places.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tajchauvin View Post
    Costco meets the same requirements as other Top Tier gas brands. If is economical for you to drive to a Costco for gas I would say to use it in your car/truck.

As far as the boat goes I only use non ethonal gas and as far as I know this is not sold at Costco.

https://www.toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/

^

Here is you answer.

I use it in my car and truck and save an addition 4 % by using my Costco credit card.

I use non ethanol in my outboard and small engines.

6. Member
    Last three boats and never had fuel related a problem.

7. Member
    Costco may be Shell or Marathon Gas....Kroger gas is Shell gas..I've seen the Shell gas truck at Kroger filling the tanks..
    I've ran Costco for around 10 years in my truck with no issues..
    Speedway gas in our region is manufactured by Marathon..
    Costco isnt rhat big of a company...They probably just buy it from a local preferred distrubutor..I've never seen a Costco labeled fuel truck on the Hwy..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

I've run Costco gas in my truck for years, no issues. Haven't used it in my boat because my Costco location is located in a traffic nightmare area.
    G3 HP180
    Yamaha 115 4 Stroke

9. Member
    In my area the non Top Tier stations sell their fuel for the same price as Top Tier fuel, most people do not know the difference.

10. Member
    Anything Costco puts their name on, especially Kirkland products is better than most other stuff including "brand names". Especially for the price.

11. Member
    Everyday! Truck, SUV, boats, jet skis, mowers, tractor, lawn equipment.
    2005 Triton TR20X-Mercury Pro XS 4.6L V-8 250 HP Serial # 3B378953
    2016 Harris Cruiser 24-2016 Mercury150XL-Serial # 2B232319

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    The few times we used it, our car ran fine; but damn the lines were atrocious! Almost not worth the wait, unless you have nothing else to do.
    Same here at our Costco

13. Member
    i live about 20 miles from an Independent refinery that has been in business for many years and I have several friends who work there. Almost all gasoline in this area regardless of the brand name comes from this refinery. I have one friend who works at the tanker loading dock and he tells me all gas is the same except for a few additives that certain brands have added as its being loaded. In my area I buy it wherever its cheaper and feel confident I am getting the same fuel that I would get if it were priced higher.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by retiredmechanic View Post
    Been using Costco fuel about two years. Haven't had any trouble with their gas. Wife has a diesel and all she uses is Costco diesel.
    Darn! Our local Costco doesn't have diesel. I have to pay 3.99.

Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Does anyone think the gas at costco is that much different then others? Guarantee there tankers get filled at the same place chevron, exxon, valero and others do.
    Yep, i go by a pipeline station and all different company tankers are lined up for 1/4 mile on the frontage road going in. There is nothing in Costco's fuel that will destroy a engine, I have met a few mechanics I can't say the samething about

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Anything Costco puts their name on, especially Kirkland products is better than most other stuff including "brand names". Especially for the price.
    This ^^^^^^^^

Wife just brought home another brisket PRIME $2.99 a lb.

17. Member
    I have never heard anything negative on Costco gas. I’ve been using it for years with zero issues.

18. Member
    The detergents put in to the gas are what counts. Top tier is a voluntary program that sets standards for detergents above the EPA minimums.

Your car should run fine on any gas you buy. The long term health of the engine may be affected by deposits. This is where high detergent gas factors in.

Factors that affect the gas after it's delivered are a separate issue. Dirty storage tanks with contaminants or old gas. But those are not related to brand.

My advice is to buy gas from a high volume location that sells top tier fuel.

https://clark.com/cars/top-tier-fuel-detergent-gas/

https://clark.com/cars/top-tier-gas-...an-engine-aaa/

Justfishing
    Well stated, however even ARCO is on the list as top tier and in my opinion based on a lot of years and thousands of emissions test results and motor tear downs, it is not an acceptable fuel for me for anything. Top tier is minimum requirements. There are far superior fuels out there. There are also a lot of oils that meet minimums specs as well, but they do not get ran in my motors. You are also correct in that it is long term degradation in most cases not short term. Quality of fuel is directly related to the price you pay for it.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    I would not take a chance on it in my vehicles, damn sure not the boat, Chevron, Union or Shell only for me, then I know I have done the best I can regarding fuel. I am of the firm belief that lower prices means you will give up something. Profit margins are less than .20 cents per gallon and they are not going to sell it at cost! I see the results almost daily of increased repair cost of consumers so called saving money on gas. In the long they always pay a lot in total expenses. Not worth the risk. This is just an not so humble opinion of a old Auto tech with 50 years of experience. I guess I shouldn't say these things as the cheap fuels really do provide a lot more work and job security for me. Yea go ahead and run it and tell all your friends how great it is...….
    PS: Most of the time you get what you paid for when spending a little more, you almost always get exactly what you paid for when you take the cheap way
    Lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast