Lake Kenansville ?

Looking for any recommendations for a guide and where to stay for a few days in March on Lake Kenansville ?

Thanks

2. Banned
    I do not think there is anyplace close to stay. Keanansville is pretty rural.
    And sorry, don't know of any guides that go there.. Look at the area on Google and you will see what I mean.

3. Member
    There is a fish camp on Lake Marion in Kenansville that has rooms. It looked pretty clean and secure. It is about five miles from the dirt road turn off to Lake Kenansville.

4. Member
    Not really worth going out of your way to go there anymore. Too many irresponsible fishermen have ruined that lake.

5. Member
    I stay in vero or palm bay. bout an hr drive to the lake. Place is getting fished hard to and is way to small to handle the pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMarkszx250 View Post
    I stay in vero or palm bay. bout an hr drive to the lake. Place is getting fished hard to and is way to small to handle the pressure.
    Thanks for all the replies, that doesn't sound very encouraging. I have been fishing The Big O for almost 10 years for a couple of several days stays over the late Jan to march time frame and was just there the weekend before Thanksgiving and was shocked at how bad the fishing was and just how defoliated the lake has become from the FWC spraying efforts and high water. My buddy took me up to Kissimmee for a day but it was rough there and the water was very low.
    I'm just looking for a good alternative to fishing at the Big O in Feb or March and everywhere I go or hear about FWC has destroyed the place. I'd like to fly into Ft Lauderdale and drive from there but flying into West Palm beach would be OK too.
    It seems so bad all over the state and I really want to do anything I can to help stop the spraying and mismanagement by FWC. If anyone has some lake suggestions in South/Central Florida and some contacts to fish with please PM me if you don't feel comfortable discussing what few places might be a good lake to flip a matt ???? Thanks

7. Member
    If you stay in Vero beach you can fish 3 different impoundments. Kenansville, Stick Marsh, Garcia. I went to Kenansville a couple months back and it was tough due to the vegetation overgrowth especially in the main canal to get out. It was clogged with hyacinths and was shallow getting over berm to get out, but we caught some big ones just not a lot of them. Plan on going back soon as some of the vegetation dies off during winter and navigation is easier. Very shallow impoundment .

8. Banned
    Unless we get some decent rain, Garcia will be tough to navigate in due to low water and vegetation.

Quote Originally Posted by gambler1 View Post
    If you stay in Vero beach you can fish 3 different impoundments. Kenansville, Stick Marsh, Garcia. I went to Kenansville a couple months back and it was tough due to the vegetation overgrowth especially in the main canal to get out. It was clogged with hyacinths and was shallow getting over berm to get out, but we caught some big ones just not a lot of them. Plan on going back soon as some of the vegetation dies off during winter and navigation is easier. Very shallow impoundment .
    From what I hear, Kenasnville was sprayed two weeks before Thanksgiving. Have you been their since? Any contacts for guides etc would be appreciated

I went the end of October which was before spraying and have not been back since. I don't see the need for a guide as it is relatively small. I'm a flipper so it suits my style but guys do well with swimbaits and topwater too. But one thing I can tell you is that 12 mile limerock road will have your vehicle and boat powdercoated white and a pia to get off. Make sure your rods are put up. I remember a guide that went there if I remember I will text info.
    That would be great about the guide info. I won't have my boat so TIA.

I went the end of October which was before spraying and have not been back since. I don't see the need for a guide as it is relatively small. I'm a flipper so it suits my style but guys do well with swimbaits and topwater too. But one thing I can tell you is that 12 mile limerock road will have your vehicle and boat powdercoated white and a pia to get off. Make sure your rods are put up. I remember a guide that went there if I remember I will text info.
    I won't have my boat so that guide info would be appreciated ! TIA

12. Member

There is a hotel in Kenansville called Heartbreak Hotel. It looks refurbished from the outside and I think it is open because there are cars around it. I heard it was nice but I have never been there... And as someone said, Lake Marian Fish Camp on Lake Marian about 5 miles away has cabins they rent and they are nice. If you want to fish the area and won't have a boat, call the Marian fish camp and ask about a guide. I bet they can help you out. At Lake Marian camp, you would also be about 15 miles or so from Joe Overstreet Ramp and Fish Camp area which is on Lake Kissimmee. You could fish there as well and there are area guides there I know.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

14. Member
    I would skip Kenansville. It’s not a good lake at all. Big O is hard to beat.

15. Member
    It used to be good, but it's was over-fished. I gave it another shot in mid oct in hopes something changed but it was worse. Lake was was so low you had to get out and push to get over the berm, sprayed like I have never seen anything sprayed, and water clarity was 6" due to all the dead hydrilla dissolving. They had to have lowered it to spray as I have never imagined it could even get that low.

16. Member
    We were in there today. The water is the lowest I have seen it. Most areas the water was dirty and it looked like two spray boats on the other side from us. Ten bites between two of us in five hours.

17. Member
    You may want to consider Vero Beach, mentioned above.
    Stay on the beach, it's nice. Try your luck on Blue Cypress.
    They've mostly left it alone. Spring fed, nice fishery.
    Is it the best and hottest? Nope, but it's good and pretty.
    Lots of good food in Vero, plenty to do as well.
    Classy little town, beaches and downtown. Hope this helps.

18. Manatee zones SUCK!!! FL Dell's Avatar
    Gatorbass.com...Dean or "Gator" goes to K-ville and has tabs on everything around here. Eli...can't hurt to ask him about any FL lake.
    20XRD

19. Member
    How is that water level on blue cypress?