Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    TJNYSNP

Panoptix questions ....

I'm trying to understand how you all use your TM when you have panoptix....

Seems to me that if i were to get/install the PS31 with the custom bracket on my TM and use it to see where the fish are as related to where i am casting, it sounds like if my boat is moving forward and i'm casting to the right or left bank.. that if i want to watch my lure come in and fish reaction around it and fish out in that direction and contour.... . i would need to (a) stop forward motion, (b) 'turn' my TM head to point to where i'm casting without engaging motion.

Also spot lock will have my TM head be going nuts in all directions and it may not be helpful to have this technology with spotlock engaged due to that.

Can someone explain how you point panoptix around when being efficient in your casting and motion ?

Sounds like great technology but not 360 degrees so you need to be pointing your TM around.. yes ?

thank you

2. Member
    Yes you have to point the transducer to what you want to see. It doesn't take much practice to be moving forward and turn the head without engaging the trolling motor. Spot lock would be another story. I'm sure you would have to disengage it so you could manually point the transducer in the right direction. Casting and pointing the trolling motor toward your cast is not difficult. The only issue would be if it is extremely windy or in a fast current.

SE Kansas grass grower

ROCK CHALK

3. Member
    I have the same concern. I plan on mounting my PanOptix transducer separate from my trolling motor so I can control where it is pointing while I am on Spot-Lock. After searching I have found several companies that make mounts that allow the transducer to be separate from the trolling motor, and saw a few people who made their own using PVC pipe.
    2018 Ranger Z185
    Yamaha 150 SHO w/ Tempest 23P
    Ultrex 80 Link
    Helix 10MDI & 12MSI G2N at console
    Helix 10 M+DI G4N w/ M360 and Garmin 93 w/ LiveScope at bow
    Atlas Jackplate
    12' Talons

4. Member
    2018 Ranger Z185
    Ultrex 80 Link
    Atlas Jackplate
    12' Talons

5. TJNYSNP
    thanks guys..... what LCD do you recommend with it for good size but best price point for size for boat front ? i'm have an older boat.. not hollywood technology

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mohawkman View Post
    thanks guys..... what LCD do you recommend with it for good size but best price point for size for boat front ? i'm have an older boat.. not hollywood technology
    Don't have mine yet, but several places currently have good deals on the 93sv Plus unit. I paid $599 during black Friday. It is a 9" screen.
    2018 Ranger Z185
    Ultrex 80 Link
    Atlas Jackplate
    12' Talons

7. Member
    panoptix and live scope are different correct ? Can you have live scope without panoptix? I just got the 93sv plus- and looks like the livescope will run me another $1500 for transducer and black box- for that do I get the panoptix as well?

8. Member
    From what I understand, they are completely different. Livescope is an upgraded version of Panoptix. Each one uses a different transducer, so if you buy the $1400 livescope transducer, you will not have panoptix.
    2018 Ranger Z185
    Ultrex 80 Link
    Atlas Jackplate
    12' Talons

9. TJNYSNP
    I want the ability to see the matter in in front of my transducer >>>> the bottom contour ahead of me.. the fish objects out there in front of me and around my lure..., my lure coming in....

Is all i need the 93sv along with the paniptix transducer and special bracket ?

I'll be broke but just ensuring i got it

10. Member
    I suggest you look at the screen shots posted here and under the Garmin interpretation section so you will know the difference before you buy.
    The panoptix ps22,31 and 30 give completely different images than the Livescope.

11. Member
    See Leonard's link
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=945401

I have Panoptix PS22TR and know you will like the forward and down capabilities for contour. I am looking at Livescope for the detail capabilities of fish and structure. I have learned how to identify fish and structure but detail is limited to the blob which has served me well to date. And the PS22 is less cost new and much less cost used. Worth considering to see if you will like the style of fishing.

Do NOT expect to see a casted lure on Panoptix.

13. Member
    go livescope, no doubt

14. Member
    MonteSS - do you mean Livescope or Panoptix? On my PS22 I see my casted lure on 80% of my casts the way I normally fish. I would also say that it is rare that if I set out to see my lure on a given cast that I am not able to see it descend and then retrieve it through the water solemn ( moving bait) or on the bottom (dragging jig or worm) I have seen fish move and bite lure on the screen. I fish normally 30-50’ cast and anywhere from 4-25’ normally and pretty good in that range.

Actually this is the main reason I am considering running both PS22 and Livescope. Have or others that have used both Panoptix and Livescope experienced better ease of lure / fish identification with Livescope? Or no difference on the water? Once identified after searching clearly Livescope is far superior for details and ease of determining species, quantity etc from what I have seen from videos posted.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MonteSS View Post
    Do NOT expect to see a casted lure on Panoptix.
    I strongly disagree. I've watched lures on Panoptix with the PS21 and currently watch them with LiveScope.

SE Kansas grass grower

ROCK CHALK

16. Member
    Does the PS 21 not have a wider cone angle than the PS22.

Quote Originally Posted by ring fry View Post
    I strongly disagree. I've watched lures on Panoptix with the PS21 and currently watch them with LiveScope.

SE Kansas grass grower
    yeap! See them all the time. Like anything else the target must be in the beam.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

18. Member

Seems to me that if i were to get/install the PS31 with the custom bracket on my TM and use it to see where the fish are as related to where i am casting, it sounds like if my boat is moving forward and i'm casting to the right or left bank.. that if i want to watch my lure come in and fish reaction around it and fish out in that direction and contour.... . i would need to (a) stop forward motion, (b) 'turn' my TM head to point to where i'm casting without engaging motion.

Also spot lock will have my TM head be going nuts in all directions and it may not be helpful to have this technology with spotlock engaged due to that.

Can someone explain how you point panoptix around when being efficient in your casting and motion ?

Sounds like great technology but not 360 degrees so you need to be pointing your TM around.. yes ?

thank you
    With spot lock, you will see where your xdcr is pointed. If it’s moving constantly, you will want a separate mount for your transducer so you can isolate the direction you want. Separately, if you normally cruise parallel to the bank and fish towards the bank, you might try mounting the xdcr on the shaft of the trolling motor pointed towards the bank ( 90 degrees to your direction of travel and you would need to know that you are limited to fish that direction ..ie right side of boat if turned 90 degrees to right)

i tried it it and decided Forward is best with old school trolling motor. (no Ultrex) . Not a problem unless you are pedal to the metal 24/7. Best to coast a little while rotating if you are not fishing forward with forward facing mount.

19. Member

thank you
    With spot lock, you will see where your xdcr is pointed. If it’s moving constantly, you will want a separate mount for your transducer so you can isolate the direction you want. Separately, if you normally cruise parallel to the bank and fish towards the bank, you might try mounting the xdcr on the shaft of the trolling motor pointed towards the bank ( 90 degrees to your direction of travel and you would need to know that you are limited to fish that direction ..ie right side of boat if turned 90 degrees to right)

i tried it it and decided Forward is best with old school trolling motor. (no Ultrex) . Not a problem unless you are pedal to the metal 24/7. Best to coast a little while rotating if you are not fishing forward with forward facing mount.

20. Member
    ive had a hard time seeing crankbaits with my PS21, but slower jigs are not a problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast