Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I originally thought spot lock on my Terrova would be too annoying while trying to use my PS21, so I mounted it on a stick that I could turn manually. I actually found it much more annoying to have to constantly have one hand on stick while I was scanning. I put the transducer on the Terrova and now I can keep fishing while using my feet to scan. The spotlock issue doesn't bother me - or hasn't so far, but everyone fishes differently

2. TJNYSNP
    How i feel about this is how i feel when i bought into Structure Scan HDS Gen 1. As soon as i bought it Gen 2 came out. Its hard to know when to commit to this kind of technology and be out $2K. Anyone know about any new technology coming from any of the sonar companies that is competing with this or is Garmin coming out with a new version soon that i should wait for to consider ? I just don't have $2K of money laying around so i want to make a purchase that is strong for say 4 years of use.

3. Member
    I am waiting for the price to drop as well, but because of patents, I believe Garmin has won the other major brands in this round and is dominating the market now, which will last for several years. So I think price won’t come down easily and soon.

Look back and see how L has treated Garmin/ HB /Raymarine with its DownScan technology! Eventually Garmin and HB and Raymarine have to buy patent licenses from L, as they found no other good way to “re-invent” a technology! I think this is also what motivated Garmin to invent something revolutionary like Panoptix and LiveScope, to beat the competition. Now Garmin will start to sell licenses, in which way it can control the market and the prices, UNLESS others succeed in this in a TOTALLY DIFFERENT WAY.

So far, LiveScope is the best! And personally I think it should be BEST ENOUGH; otherwise, fishing would be no fun any more!

Note: I’m not related to ANY brands or manufacturers!

Quote Originally Posted by mohawkman View Post
    How i feel about this is how i feel when i bought into Structure Scan HDS Gen 1. As soon as i bought it Gen 2 came out. Its hard to know when to commit to this kind of technology and be out $2K. Anyone know about any new technology coming from any of the sonar companies that is competing with this or is Garmin coming out with a new version soon that i should wait for to consider ? I just don't have $2K of money laying around so i want to make a purchase that is strong for say 4 years of use.
    Last edited by BassTracker175; 12-08-2018 at 08:35 AM.

4. Member
    4 years? Thats asking a lot in a technology product.

Heres an idea: buy whatever you want now and ignore everything else for the next 4 years

If you think back 4 years, what was the best thing going that stood up well since?

5. TJNYSNP
    Quote Originally Posted by BassTracker175 View Post
    I am waiting for the price to drop as well, but because of patents, I believe Garmin has won the other major brands in this round and is dominating the market now, which will last for several years. So I think price won’t come down easily and soon.

Look back and see how L has treated Garmin/ HB /Raymarine with its DownScan technology! Eventually Garmin and HB and Raymarine have to buy patent licenses from L, as they found no other good way to “re-invent” a technology! I think this is also what motivated Garmin to invent something revolutionary like Panoptix and LiveScope, to beat the competition. Now Garmin will start to sell licenses, in which way it can control the market and the prices, UNLESS others succeed in this in a TOTALLY DIFFERENT WAY.

So far, LiveScope is the best! And personally I think it should be BEST ENOUGH; otherwise, fishing would be no fun any more!

Note: I’m not related to ANY brands or manufacturers!
    Well said. This might sound odd, but i'm a bit saddened by the innovation of this technology. It's kind of too easy now if it is what its made out to be... to see the fish around your lure so well and know where the school is moving. If you think about it, it is turning fishing into deer hunting in a tree stand. Just put out your scent/bait, get in your stand and watch the deer (fish) come to your lure.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I will probably go commit to a PS21 and a 9" unit but will watch prices over the winter.

Have a great holiday everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by MonteSS View Post
    Do NOT expect to see a casted lure on Panoptix.
    I should have been more specific.

I was using a PS21
    I could see a slow moving bait like a weightless Senko to 30'
    Cranks I could see about 5-10' from the boat

Livescope seems better but to cold to really get out and use it.

Almost all the Livescope vids of lures are vertical jigging

Never saw any vids of Pan/Livescope showing a fish 40-50' away near the bottom and a jig-pig/texas rig bouncing to it. Hopefully I'm wrong

7. Member
    I have no in-hand experience but I think you can try a spinner that has a metal plate first, as metal returns strong echos.

I was using a PS21

Never saw any vids of Pan/Livescope showing a fish 40-50' away near the bottom and a jig-pig/texas rig bouncing to it. Hopefully I'm wrong

8. Member
    Not what you asked for about near the bottom. Watch for the splash at a distance of 48 ft about 15 seconds in. This lure was sold as a 1/8 oz but I weighed it and it was 3/16 oz. Pretty sure a jig-pig would show up. Ok, so I'm not much of a fisherman. Got bit twice and missed both.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xHyafbw3VHck7ZwdEKycbfRuwLFcNtgL

Last edited by LWINCHESTER2; 12-11-2018 at 10:16 PM.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

9. Banned

I was using a PS21

I've messed with the TVG some and can see my 1/32 oz crappie jig at 40 feet when I'm pointing directly at it. Interestingly enough though it seems to have hurt the ability to see it closer to the boat.

I've been to busy fishing to play with the settings much :-)

10. Member
    Well said. This might sound odd, but i'm a bit saddened by the innovation of this technology. It's kind of too easy now if it is what its made out to be... to see the fish around your lure so well and know where the school is moving. If you think about it, it is turning fishing into deer hunting in a tree stand. Just put out your scent/bait, get in your stand and watch the deer (fish) come to your lure.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I will probably go commit to a PS21 and a 9" unit but will watch prices over the winter.

Have a great holiday everyone.
    2 differences to help ease your conscience:
    Fish need not bite.
    Catch and release.
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

11. Member
    LW2- can’t get your vid to work on iPad. “Invalid parameters....”

12. Member
    Probably a Windows/Apple thing that I don't know how to fix. The video was recorded on a LG g7 thinq phone but then I used Windows Medial Player to select and cut the clip for the link. Still mp4 should be mp4. Maybe somebody else will have a suggestion. Gotta go--fishing in the rain today.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12