Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Winch replacement

2014 Ranger Trail for 520C. Winch showing some real wear. Anyone replace w/ Fulton F2 or up graded winch?

I want it to bolt up to existing mounts w/ no modifications.

Thanks,

Bill

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    There have been 3 or 4 threads on this exact question this year. Yes, the F2 should fit perfectly as a replacement, and yes, it is a significant upgrade over the factory winch. I had one added to my 2018 Z519 before I picked it up from the dealer, and it bolted right on. I got the 3200 pound model with 2 speeds and would never again consider a winch without the lower gear option. While others are trying to brace their feet and get a better grip to get their boats that last 6 inches up to the bow stop, I pop my Fulton into low gear and walk it right up there. I also changed out the winch strap to a heavy duty 5000 pound model. I’d broken 4 Ranger winch straps on my Z520s in the last 3 years, but I don’t think I’ll be breaking the new, stronger one (the Ranger factory strap is rated for 1400 pounds, and it’s always the reinforcing thread that lets go).
    Last edited by jc2bg; 12-11-2018 at 07:03 AM.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    JC, thanks for the details. Broke several straps myself. Where did you get the #5000 to fit the F2?

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Every decent sized boat dealer will have winch straps of various strengths. I got mine from my dealer in central Ohio, but I’ve seen them on Amazon and at West Marine as well. The replacement straps don’t have the attached “emergency” strap that Rangers come with, however, so I added a separate strap and hook arrangement for that purpose. The only trick to that is a limited amount of space for a second hook inside the bow eye. Smaller hooks have lower break-strength ratings, but that didn’t bother me. I don’t intend to tow long distances using only the emergency hook and strap. It’s just nice to have the backup—although I’m beginning to believe that with a 5000 pound strap, I may never need a backup. To sum up, it might be a good idea to purchase the stronger strap either off the shelf, so that you can visually confirm that it is the right size, or from a dealer who will exchange it if it doesn’t fit to suit you. Width is not commonly an issue, but heavier straps could possibly be thicker, which also possibly would not spool up as well. For me, easy peasy.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Every decent sized boat dealer will have winch straps of various strengths. I got mine from my dealer in central Ohio, but I’ve seen them on Amazon and at West Marine as well. The replacement straps don’t have the attached “emergency” strap that Rangers come with, however, so I added a separate strap and hook arrangement for that purpose. The only trick to that is a limited amount of space for a second hook inside the bow eye. Smaller hooks have lower break-strength ratings, but that didn’t bother me. I don’t intend to tow long distances using only the emergency hook and strap. It’s just nice to have the backup—although I’m beginning to believe that with a 5000 pound strap, I may never need a backup. To sum up, it might be a good idea to purchase the stronger strap either off the shelf, so that you can visually confirm that it is the right size, or from a dealer who will exchange it if it doesn’t fit to suit you. Width is not commonly an issue, but heavier straps could possibly be thicker, which also possibly would not spool up as well. For me, easy peasy.

Trying to figure out how you guys are breaking the strap on your winches. No power loading where you are?

6. Member
    Breaking on launching. JC I use a separate emergency strap and well and snug it into the bow eye.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
    Trying to figure out how you guys are breaking the strap on your winches. No power loading where you are?
    The thread is the weak point which is where the strap breaks, not the strap itself. Exposure to sun will degrade the thread/stitching.

8. Member
    Will the F2 fit onto an 05 ranger trail? Anyone do itt without modification?
    2005 Ranger 520DVX w/ 225 Yamaha SHO

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rfdong View Post
    Watching.

10. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I have heard that they will. But if mod is necessary, it most likely would be expanding one hole. We have some launches so steep that power loading does not work well (complicated). We also launch in Michigan and at some private launches where power loading is prohibited. I’ve broken factory straps both launching and loading. Broke one factory strap the first time out! Some very poor stitching there.... Not a big deal, until it is, but I avoid those problems where I can. And with the 2-speed winch, it actually is super easy to retrieve the boat by winching, so long as the strap holds.

11. Member
    I have an 06 and it bolted right up, no mods necessary.

12. Scraps
    I wanna do this too. I'm worried about dropping a nut or worse while winching.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

13. Member
    It fit on my ‘99 trailer. It’s snug, but it fits and works great.

14. Member
    I installed a F2 on my 05 trailer with no problems. Big upgrade for sure!u

15. Member
    Which F2 are you guys installing, there are several models/load ratings?
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

16. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    3200 pound for me, and 2-speed. Pic below.
    Last edited by jc2bg; 12-10-2018 at 12:27 PM.

17. Member
    TW has two models listed. #1600 and #2000.

18. Member
    Not all F2 are 2 stage/speed models correct? Are the 2 speeds larger? Just curious since I don’t have anywhere close to see one
    2005 Ranger 520DVX w/ 225 Yamaha SHO

19. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar

20. Member
    John/ jc2bq:

Did you go w/ the #2600 or #3200? in post #2 I see 2600.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast