Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar

Release to the grease? Whats your thoughts!??

I know a lot of people who will eat anything they catch. I also know a few guides and tourny guys who say you need to release anything over 2lbs to live another day. I have not always done this but lately if I catch a hawg I will take a few pics and release it. I have eaten them before as well so I am not against that either. Whats your thoughts?

I keep a few bags of crappie, but most I catch get thrown right back. I grew up keeping everything I caught and it was quite the change to throw them back. I definitely return the big females back if I can. I think the 10 to 12" long are the best eating size anyway.

Here on lake Fork, you're required to keep every crappie you catch from Dec 01 thru Feb. Creel limit is 25.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

3. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    I keep a few bags of crappie, but most I catch get thrown right back. I grew up keeping everything I caught and it was quite the change to throw them back. I definitely return the big females back if I can. I think the 10 to 12" long are the best eating size anyway.

Here on lake Fork, you're required to keep every crappie you catch from Dec 01 thru Feb. Creel limit is 25.
    Why is that? Never heard of such a rule!

4. Member
    That’s an interesting rule in Texas, guessing it has to do with mortality rates.

I grew up in a culture of you eat whatever you shoot or catch, there’s a family to feed.
    For me today, I keep a meal of fish to eat if I’ll eat them in the next few days otherwise they go right back. As far as size I never keep the bigger fish to eat, just me. I still fish with guys that want to keep’em all, mine go back, to each their own. I’m blessed to fish often and my family isn’t starving!!

5. Member
    I rarely keep over 10 myself and most times just 3 to 5 as that is a meal at my house unless we have company. I prefer the 10 to 11 inch size. I throw back a lot of bigger ones but if i am going for a meal they are all fair game. Our Biologist say the average life expectancy before dying is 3 to 4 years old. During the Spawn almost all go back but later in the year i see no problem keeping big ones if you want as they are likely close to the end of their lifecycle anyways. I would say keep them if in your area they are near the end of their life.

6. Member
    If the wife and I want some crappie, Ill get 7 or 8 fish in the 11 or 12" size. Big ones go back, rather have them for a tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER*REDNECK View Post
    I know a lot of people who will eat anything they catch. I also know a few guides and tourny guys who say you need to release anything over 2lbs to live another day. I have not always done this but lately if I catch a hawg I will take a few pics and release it. I have eaten them before as well so I am not against that either. Whats your thoughts?
    Keeping up with Josh Jones? Normally, I throw back fish that large. I prefer to clean and fry fish 10-13 inches. They seem to fry more evenly. Plus easier to clean.
    2021 Phoenix 21PHX

8. Member
    Yup those 10-12 inchers are the best eating. I will throw some of the big mommas back too. They aren't the best eating, not that they are bad by any means, but mostly I want to give someone else a chance to catch them again, especially a kid. I caught an 18.5" crappie that was just under 4lbs when I was about 12 years old fishing with my dad. I can remember my dad saying it was the biggest crappie he had ever seen and he was no rookie. I was one happy kid that day and if just one of those really big ones I release ends up making some other kid that happy I think that would be super cool. I'll never know if it happens but it for sure won't happen if I fillet them.

9. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CHECrappie View Post
    Keeping up with Josh Jones? Normally, I throw back fish that large. I prefer to clean and fry fish 10-13 inches. They seem to fry more evenly. Plus easier to clean.
    Yes, I do follow and keep up with Josh. He is not everyones cup of tea but he knows his crappie fishing. LOL

Yes, Josh is obviously a very good fisherman. He knows his stuff.
    2021 Phoenix 21PHX

11. Banned
    In my life I've only caught one 2lb crappie.....

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by slonezp View Post
    In my life I've only caught one 2lb crappie.....
    You need to go to Mississippi.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    Yup, you can cure that problem in MS real fast. You could probably cure it here in Arkansas pretty quick too. Our lakes kinda seem to go in cycles around here some though as far as numbers and big ones go. If this fall is any indication of what the spring is going to be like, I'm excited and expect to catch some really quality crappie in 2019.

14. Banned
    Says the guy from Chicago Heights....
    The one and only 2 pounder I caught was 17" and I caught it at Heidikie when it was still operating as a power plant lake. The 13-14" fish I see here in Chicago don't have shoulders either. Wisconsin River fish are much thicker but not as predictable in their seasonal movements.

15. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    You could cure that problem in NE Oklahoma real fast as well. NE OK lakes are on fire right now and absolute monsters are being caught!

I rarely keep big crappie. Big crappie to me is one 16" or bigger. I don't fish much for bluegill anymore, but I've seen lakes decimated by people keeping all the big fish. Had a lake that was killer on ice for bluegills 8-10" in size, until the masses found out. People keeping 3/4 of a 5 gallon bucket of those one winter. Lake has never been the same since then.

Biggest crappie I've caught was 18 1/2", but my wife caught one 19" on ky lake on a 1/2 ounce spider grub. She always has to catch bigger fish than me though, which is why she doesn't get invited anymore :).
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

17. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cubswin View Post
    I rarely keep big crappie. Big crappie to me is one 16" or bigger. I don't fish much for bluegill anymore, but I've seen lakes decimated by people keeping all the big fish. Had a lake that was killer on ice for bluegills 8-10" in size, until the masses found out. People keeping 3/4 of a 5 gallon bucket of those one winter. Lake has never been the same since then.

Biggest crappie I've caught was 18 1/2", but my wife caught one 19" on ky lake on a 1/2 ounce spider grub. She always has to catch bigger fish than me though, which is why she doesn't get invited anymore :).
    My wife has out fished me a time or two as well.

18. Member
    If your wife or any partner is outfishing you that means you are a good teacher and guide, unless of course she is telling you where to go and what to do!!!! Been there done that myself!! I hate it when she is right!!

19. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    If your wife or any partner is outfishing you that means you are a good teacher and guide, unless of course she is telling you where to go and what to do!!!! Been there done that myself!! I hate it when she is right!!
    I fish a lot with my 84 year old step Grandfather. Use to he spanked me every time no questions asked. In the last few years I can now hang with him and often with beat him on numbers. If he mentions this in conversation it starts out with " I do not get out fished by many, and when I go its because I taught them everything they know to begin with "!

20. Member
    "That’s an interesting rule in Texas, guessing it has to do with mortality rates. "

I believe that to be correct. I recall being told it was largely because many of the crappie caught at this time slot would come from the depths and thereby be more susceptible to perishing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast