Thread: Help with Solix

Help with Solix

The web site isn’t very informative to me. I can’t figure out if I should buy two of the more expensive Solix 12 Gen 2s or one expensive one and one of the cheaper CHO models that doesn’t come with side imaging. Im not going to network them because of all the issues I read about in here of them locking up. I will have a need for four things: navigation, 360, Airmar B75M CHIRP, and the transom DI/SI transducer

The CHO does not come with a transducer. It would be useless for anything other than GPS/Mapping if you don't link it to another unit via Ethernet.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    I don't think I need it to come with a transducer. Can't I plug the 360 or B75M I'm buying separately to it? Also, why do they list them on their site as either DI or SI, can't one unit do both?

4. Member
    Get on the HB site. there is a "compare box to check on each unit. See what some do versus others. It's a big purchase. Take your time and ask here with the questions you have. Bob

Quote Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
    I don't think I need it to come with a transducer. Can't I plug the 360 or B75M I'm buying separately to it? Also, why do they list them on their site as either DI or SI, can't one unit do both?
    The CHIRP model comes with a 2D transducer, but can be a 2D/DI unit if you purchase a DI transducer. It cannot do SI on its own. It can share SI from a SI model via Ethernet.

The SI model comes with a SI transducer that does 2D/DI/SI.

Either version can support the 360 and/or a third party 2D transducer if the frequency matches the unit choices.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    What fishing are you doing that the B75M is your top choice? I would get a G2 with SI on one side and a CHO hooked to the B75M on the other side. Run charts/2D on the CHO.
    Nick Garrott
    BOE Marine
    25' C-Hawk
    18' Privateer

7. Member
    That’s what I was thinking but I didn’t want to regret buying something without the capabilities I need later. It’s confusing because I’ve read CHO is only without transducer but then find out it can’t do SI but not sure if that’s only because of transducer or internals? Everything I fish for is to the side or back. I rarely care what’s under me. I wanted good readings at speed and I have a stepped hull so nothing on the transom will be any good. Don’t want a huge hole and don’t go deep so no need for the 175.

That’s what I was thinking but I didn’t want to regret buying something without the capabilities I need later. It’s confusing because I’ve read CHO is only without transducer but then find out it can’t do SI but not sure if that’s only because of transducer or internals? Everything I fish for is to the side or back. I rarely care what’s under me. I wanted good readings at speed and I have a stepped hull so nothing on the transom will be any good. Don’t want a huge hole and don’t go deep so no need for the 175.
    If you pay attention to the whole models names, you will see that the CHO versions are DI+ G2. That means they do DI and 2D with a SOLIX MEGA DI+ transducer or Minnkota MEGA DI transducer attached. As with most Humminbird units, they can be 2D-only if you only connect a 2D transducer.
    They are sold as CHO for use with the Minnkota trolling motor MEGA DI transducer.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    Well why does the SI+ G2 say it will do DI but it's not in the name and the DI+ G2 won't do SI? It seems like the best thing for them to do would be sell SI/DI unit with a transducer and sell a SI/DI CHO unit without a transducer.

Well why does the SI+ G2 say it will do DI but it's not in the name and the DI+ G2 won't do SI? It seems like the best thing for them to do would be sell SI/DI unit with a transducer and sell a SI/DI CHO unit without a transducer.
    ALL Humminbird SI units do Down Imaging or composite Down Imaging as well as 2D sonar. The older number series SI and first generation Helix SI units do not have true Down Imaging, they have DI views by blending the two SI pulses. The G3 and G3N Helix 7 doe not have true Down Imaging either, just composite DI views.

In the Helix models, there are CHIRP models= 2D only
    There are DI models that do Down Imaging and 2D sonar.
    There are SI models that do Side Imaging, Down Imaging, and 2D sonar.

The ONIX and SOLIX models can be the Sonar only version but can be Sonar/DI if a DI transducer is connected.

The SI models do SI/DI/2D with their included SI transducer.
    They can also be limited in sonar functions by using a DI transducer to make them DI/2D units or a Sonar only unit by just using a 2D transducer.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

11. Member
    Thanks Wayne!