Advice on Talons or power poles

Hello all,

I have a 17ft G3 with a 70Hp yamaha. Currently running 36.6 with a 4 in manual jack plate. I am interested in buying either a set of talons or power poles. Just trying to get some feedback from others. My boat gets pushed all over the place when its windy. I just purchased an Ultrex. I guess my concern would be for the talons is the added weight with two talons. I would like for them to be on the jack plate bracket because I wish to remove them whenever I purchase another boat. My concerns for the power poles would be that they only make a 10ft version. Would the extra 2-5ft really make that much of a difference? Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    I ran a terrova with i-Pilot and an 8 foot talon on my old tracker.

I mounted direct so it did add as much weight as your setup will but I did lose about a mph.

My advice? You don’t need dual unless you really want it and 8 or 10 foot models will be fine since you have an ultrex. The only downside is the ultrex does hold you but until you get used to it, you’ll spin around.

If you’re at all concerned with the weight on the transom, go poles as it’s s lighter setup. I went with a single talon on the new boat 8 footer again) because I like the product, it’s easy to take on and off, I don’t have to mess with fluids, and the spike goes straight down.

Both do the job and do it well.

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    With a 70 hp motor you have to be really concerned with weight.. with that said I think we "all" can agree 15 foot talons are out of the question on your rig without serious performance issues. Whatever setup you go with be it Power pole or Talon, I would go for a pair. The issue with using a single talon or pole with the ultrex is the same with the ultrex alone it will always spin you into the wind or current. However with a duel setup.. upwind, downwind, with current, against current it doesnt matter you boat will stay locked in position. It all depends how you fish and what your looking to do, however with that 70 hp and 17 foot rig you need to be concerned with the weight factor of both brands.. Advantage Powerpole in that department IMO as a single talon with brackets on transom weight is about equal to a duel Powerpole setup. Keep in mind that 10 foot blades are the heaviest model in the linup and require the braced bracket setup that also adds a few more pounds. If you have an ultrex do you really need anything more then 8 footers that is what you really have to be asking yourself. IMO i dont see a need for any shallow water anchor be it Talon or Powerpole over 8 foot if running an Ultrex. I have a ultrex setup with 8 foot blades and never find myself never wanting any deeper shallow water anchor. If looking at Talons Bassman25 will be your best bet, and if Power Pole .. I would be happy to continue working with you.

4. Member

Here is a photo of my jack plate. Not sure if I can mount power poles to the side of it.

5. Member
    Good points Sir. I would love to get a quote for 8ft blades then. I appreciate the response Sir.

6. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    you have the surface area and the sidebolts to mount what concerns me is if the adjusment bolts will cause issues due to that design. How many inches is the bolt away from the surface of the jackplate?

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Our and Powerpole records indicate that only 6" and above pro hijackers are sidemountable, may have to go with sandwich brackets. Sidemounts may work however it would be on a trial and error basis with that jackplate. you would be looking at a PKd-m-2-3 for a sandwich mount. 10 footers would require and Mtos adapter and then s-2-2 braced brackets, the Mtos would have to go between the motor and jackplate and would allow you to use the sidemount braced brackets for the 10 foot blades. I believe you would be happier with 8 foot poles on that rig however. The pro series II is a great pole the lightest of all 3 models.
    Last edited by KandKKustomz; 12-06-2018 at 08:27 AM.

8. Member
    Like k&k said, weight will be a big factor. I wouldn't go bigger than 8ft power poles or a 8ft talon mounted on a power pole bracket.

9. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    Like k&k said, weight will be a big factor. I wouldn't go bigger than 8ft power poles or a 8ft talon mounted on a power pole bracket.

10. BBC SPONSOR
    If you are looking for top notch service and great prices on the Power Poles. K&K is the man.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

11. Wren
    Ditto, K and K is the man

12. Member
    I just bought a set of 8 foot Blades to replace my single 12 foot Talon. I also have an Ultrex but got tired of the single Talon twisting me a round in those instances the Ultrex wasn't the right tool. I want to be able to drop the PP and it keeps me in sport regardless of wind or current. I haven't done the math yet outside of some estimation but weight wise, it's pretty much a wash with 2 Blades and brackets versus 1 Talon and Brackets.

13. Member
    I wanted to Bassman25 and kandkkustomzhydrographics a shot out. These guys were more than happy to answer any of my questions about Talons or power poles. In the end I went with a single Talon. Thanks again Tyson!

14. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by G3Ray View Post
    I wanted to Bassman25 and kandkkustomzhydrographics a shot out. These guys were more than happy to answer any of my questions about Talons or power poles. In the end I went with a single Talon. Thanks again Tyson!
    Glad to help Ray, thank you for the business!
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

15. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by G3Ray View Post
    Always glad to help sale or no sale. In the end a customer has to go with what they think is right for there application, boat and style of fishing.

16. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    Always glad to help sale or no sale. In the end a customer has to go with what they think is right for there application, boat and style of fishing.
    Well said
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor