Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Where to go in Maine.

Hey guys,
    Wife has always wanted to go to Maine. Well 2019 will be the year. I see that Maine has 3 lakes on Bassmasters top 100, but I know that it may not be quite accurate, as I fish Shearon Harris, and 40# bags are not as common as they described. My intentions are to bring my boat, and fish alot. I want quantity over quality as I just want my wife to get wore out from all the fish she catches, she has not really experienced that. We have never fished for smallies, so we need to experience that, but also want largemouth also. So when and where would you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Where will you be staying ?? The best advice I can give of up in the Augusta area .. hit a lake and if it’s not lights out action throw the boat on the trailer and drive 10 minutes to the next lake .. there are literally lakes everywhere !!

www.lakesidelodging.com is where we stay for the Northern Rally the first week of June. Puts you in the epicenter of some great fishing. Come on up and join the crew then. Some stay and fish Cobbie all week, others trailer up and head to a different body of water everyday.

4. Member
    Hey guys,

Thanks for the information. I could stay anywhere in Maine, as I am still in the planning stages of this. Probably going to stay a few places some south then moving futher north, I want to go into Canada while we are there. Thinking about post-spawn, around May, would this good?

Quote Originally Posted by Need5fish View Post
    Hey guys,

Thanks for the information. I could stay anywhere in Maine, as I am still in the planning stages of this. Probably going to stay a few places some south then moving futher north, I want to go into Canada while we are there. Thinking about post-spawn, around May, would this good?
    \
    Post spawn isn’t until June around here-mid June is what I would call post spawn, really. You want non stop smallies? Last part of May/first part of June. Which happens to be right around our rally by some odd chance. Take a look at East Winthrop, Maine on Google Maps. All those ponds and lakes you see are loaded with smallies. Need I say more?

Hey guys,

\
    Post spawn isn’t until June around here-mid June is what I would call post spawn, really. You want non stop smallies? Last part of May/first part of June. Which happens to be right around our rally by some odd chance. Take a look at East Winthrop, Maine on Google Maps. All those ponds and lakes you see are loaded with smallies. Need I say more?

7. Moderator
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just call and get a room for the Rally. We will show ya all the lakes and you would never regret being there for that time of year

9. Member
    There are some great lakes up here. I live here and fish most of them. If you start in the south and head north, here is what I would suggest that is reasonably close to the Maine turnpike.

Little sebago in Windham or Panther Pond in Raymond. Great largemouth. Pleasant Lake in Casco has giant smallmouth. Stay away from Sebago - its on the top 100 list but shouldn't be. I like fishing it but it is very, very difficult and not consistent. Its only on the list because of the lodging.

As you head north, the Androscoggin River in Turner is very good for both smallmouth and largemouth. Then as you get towards the center of the state near Augusta, just take your pick. To the west of the city is Cobbossee, Andro Lake, Great Pond. To the east try China Lake (I think on the top 100), 3 Mile Pond or Webber Pond (on the top 100).

There are many, many more. Just grab a map. Mostly you cant go wrong.

10. Member
    Don’t go to Webber!
    Red Sox in 6!

11. Member
    Hey, I live at the very top end of maine, just inside Canada. If your thinking may for smallies in Canada its lights out all of may.

These guys know the lakes up there for sure and a bit further up from Augusta area is the Belgrade Lakes area. As Jerry says, you'd be 5-10 min from the next lake.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

13. Member
    Thanks Guys,

Thanks for all the help. How about Moosehead lake around May 10? Anything good or bad.

May 10 is pushing it up around those parts...could be some good fishing with jerkbaits and Ned rigs. Could be iced in. Weather not exactly primo, can get some nasty days around then.

15. Member
    If May is too early would Aug. 24 be better?

If May is too early would Aug. 24 be better?
    Way better...there will be some people around but the kiddies go back to school then, so it won’t exactly be crowded.

17. Member
    The middle of June would be the best for consistent fishing. All of the bodies of water that have been listed are great. Also a lot of smaller ones around the area that are just as good.

18. Member
    May is prespawn/early spawn in most of Maine. I live in Maine and would vacation for fishing in the Belgrades in May or August with China, Webber and Cobbosee thrown in.
    With the family I would chose Damariscotta, Pemiqid and Megunticook so as to enjoy the Maine coast as well.
    Washington county lakes are fun too if you are headed to New Brunswick. Big Lake, Grand Falls, Pocomoonshine...fun. Moosehead is on my bucket list.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rosuallu View Post
    There are some great lakes up here. I live here and fish most of them. If you start in the south and head north, here is what I would suggest that is reasonably close to the Maine turnpike.

Little sebago in Windham or Panther Pond in Raymond. Great largemouth. Pleasant Lake in Casco has giant smallmouth. Stay away from Sebago - its on the top 100 list but shouldn't be. I like fishing it but it is very, very difficult and not consistent. Its only on the list because of the lodging.

As you head north, the Androscoggin River in Turner is very good for both smallmouth and largemouth. Then as you get towards the center of the state near Augusta, just take your pick. To the west of the city is Cobbossee, Andro Lake, Great Pond. To the east try China Lake (I think on the top 100), 3 Mile Pond or Webber Pond (on the top 100).

There are many, many more. Just grab a map. Mostly you cant go wrong.
    Interested to hear more about the southern lakes, I used to rent a place to Crystal lake and never had much luck, I have a place now on Long lake and have caught some small mouth but nothing with any size, have you ever fished Long lake?

20. Member
    Long is worth the trip.
    Red Sox in 6!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast