Terrova not turning.....

So other than about half the time I put the motor out it wont steer. I hear the steering motor running but it turns/steers about 5 inches and stops. I can reach down and turn the steering head by hand really easy so its not stuck. Maybe the wheels that steer it are slipping? I tried spot lock a couple of times today but, it would not stay on because the steering wasnt working right. What the hell? This is a brand new trolling motor.
    Last edited by K-DAWG; 12-06-2018 at 10:30 AM.

2. Member
    Are you sure the shear pin is good?

Rajun Cajun
    Johnson 1995 #J130TLEOP
    S# GO3872031

3. Member
    Sounds like you sheered the pin on your prop. Take the prop off. Put a new pin.

4. Member
    The trollingmotor lower unit or the steering motor???
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Steering...…………….The motor with the propeller on it is fine.

6. Member
    Sounds like something inside the steering module. The steering motor has a small gear on it that turns a series of other gears to turn the output shaft.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

Well, I dont think anything is stripped out. I dont hear any odd noise when it is trying to steer. I just steers about 5 inches and stops but, the steering motor continues to run. If i press the foot pedal to steer the other direction it goes the other directions about 180 degrees from where it was and does the same thing stops steering and the steering motor contniues to run. This is a interminet problem. Usually does this when I first deploy it and then after messing with it a couple of times, as in reaching down and turning the head back and forth a few times it starts working right.
    Last edited by K-DAWG; 12-06-2018 at 08:28 AM.

Is the collar lined up, like if the collar isn't there isn't any friction to turn but the motor will turn
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Is the collar lined up, like if the collar isn't there isn't any friction to turn but the motor will turn
    I dont understand. How do I check to see if the collar is lined up?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    Steering...…………….The motor with the propeller on it is fine.
    Thanks for clearing that up. You did not state that in you original statement. John is correct on that. Steering module is bad. Can't be torn down to repair, Must be replaced.
    By the way. Georgia got hosed in the play off bracket. they just didn't want to see an all SEC final.
    And we whopped yall. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up. You did not state that in you original statement. John is correct on that. Steering module is bad. Can't be torn down to repair, Must be replaced.
    By the way. Georgia got hosed in the play off bracket. they just didn't want to see an all SEC final.
    And we whopped yall. LOL
    It brand new....................Just to be clear it is trying to turn it kind of bonuces like it just doesnt have traction then gets traction and turns.
    Last edited by K-DAWG; 12-06-2018 at 11:16 AM.

12. Member
    It brand new....................Just to be clear it is trying to turn it kind of bonuces like it just doesnt have traction then gets traction and turns.
    On the top of the output shaft of the steering module, should be two "ears" (may be only one, can't remember right off) that lock into the ears of the lift assist. If these break off, it will act as you're talking about.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

HA!!! Figured it out! There is a square button on top of the lift assist that the control head pushes down when you deploy it and it goes down. Its so new the button is a little sticky and it isn't pushing it down right away. If I gentle push it down. It drops down about and inch and locks into place.

Good deal
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

15. Member
    Interesting. I have had mine do the same but I would lift it up part way and drop it down again and it would work. I will have to pay attention to the ‘button’.

16. Member
    HA!!! Figured it out! There is a square button on top of the lift assist that the control head pushes down when you deploy it and it goes down. Its so new the button is a little sticky and it isn't pushing it down right away. If I gentle push it down. It drops down about and inch and locks into place.
    Put a liberal amount of pledge or silicon base spray on the latch to see if it frees it you. Most of the time it will. DO NOT USE WD-40 OR PETROLEUM BASED GREASE. This will soften up the plastic and cause it to become brittle.

17. Member
    Mine was doing this same thing. After a couple trips fighting it, I realized the motor was all the way down. After thinking about this, I remembered that when first stating to steer the motor would seem to raise and drop about an inch. I adjusted the depth collar down a couple inches from the head and it works perfect now.