Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Your old time mechanic did not have the use of modern chargers. Modern chargers start out at high amps with lower voltage and as the battery charges the amps decline and the voltage increases to where the battery cannot accept more charge. Think of filling a pressure tank with water; when the tank is low you can pump in a high volume of water (amps) at a lower pressure (volts) as the tanks fills the pressure in the tank rises co that the filling pressure has to increase and the volume decreases until the tank is full and up to pressure.

Being one of those old mechanics I can say there are lots of old theories and myths about batteries.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    … the bubbling that occurs during higher rate charging is a big help in mixing the electrolyte and allowing charging to move forward more quickly...
    This statement by CatFan I think deserves a little expanding. Short term, incomplete, and low amperage charging causes electrolyte stratification. This is why charging your cranking battery with a charger after every trip just like your trolling batteries is important. Short runs on outboard alternator/stator typically are not adequate to keep a battery fully charged and conditioned. Charging a battery on sufficiently high enough amperage during the first charge phase to cause good hydrogen bubbling helps to agitate and remix the electrolyte.
    Last edited by Skeeterbait; 12-10-2018 at 12:41 PM.

3. Banned
    Pulse Tech Chargers. Never look back.

Quote Originally Posted by howieranger View Post
    Your old time mechanic did not have the use of modern chargers. Modern chargers start out at high amps with lower voltage and as the battery charges the amps decline and the voltage increases to where the battery cannot accept more charge. Think of filling a pressure tank with water; when the tank is low you can pump in a high volume of water (amps) at a lower pressure (volts) as the tanks fills the pressure in the tank rises co that the filling pressure has to increase and the volume decreases until the tank is full and up to pressure.

Being one of those old mechanics I can say there are lots of old theories and myths about batteries.
    The smart charger makes sense the one we have at work works the way you explained. The older ones definitely were not as sophisticated and boiling a battery was easy to do. Thanks catfan for the explaination i learned something new.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

5. Member
    And just to add to Cat Fan's post. The only true accurate way to determine amps for charging is by battery temp and mfg specs. As he stated once you begin to over amp a battery it starts expelling heat. Batteries at different temps will accept different amps also but that is not a issue as much as over temp or cooking a battery. All of my larger chargers or pv systems that I install have a temp sensor. My largest charger is 90 amps into 24v and it is regulated by volts and temp for the amps delivered. When I set these chargers up I set 4 different parameters for voltage and time. Bulk,absorb and float. Also if the manufacturer recommends it a equalize setting. Everything in the settings I do to manufactures specs. Also as cat said too low of amps will detract some life from the batteries but it is way better than over amping and cooking a battery. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by howieranger View Post

Including the one about if you set a battery down on concrete it will loose it's charge.

7. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikez521 View Post
    Including the one about if you set a battery down on concrete it will loose it's charge.
    That's a myth too?
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12