Anyone on here shooting the 450 Bushmaster?

I’ve been looking around for a 45-70 and stumbled on a good deal on a Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 450 Bushmaster. I’m going to take a look at them this evening. Your thoughts?

My brother is shooting one this year for deer hunting in an AR platform. Looks devastating based on pix he sent me.

I have a side business building custom rifles, and I have built a lot of 450's because they are legal for Indiana deer hunting. Ballistically, its pretty close to 45-70. It's a very accurate round. I test fire all of my guns before giving them to the customer, and factory Hornady ammo always shoots under 1" at 100 yards. Good for deer hunting out to 200 yards. One guy told me he killed 3 deer with his 450 and they took a total of 1 step after being shot.
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

4. Member
    I'd be curious to hear a little more about one of your custom rifles. I've been hunting iowa and here in michigan but thinking about buying a 450 to replace my 12ga for shotgun season. If you could reply or send a pm with details that'd be great.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfishrman View Post
    I'd be curious to hear a little more about one of your custom rifles. I've been hunting iowa and here in michigan but thinking about buying a 450 to replace my 12ga for shotgun season. If you could reply or send a pm with details that'd be great.
    PM sent
    Steve Sendelweck

Quote Originally Posted by ss View Post
    PM sent
    PM me some info too if you don’t mind. I like custom rifles

They are legal in Ohio and would love to get one. I seen a deer killed with one over the weekend and the exit hole was huge. I have heard nothing bad about them.

I picked one up last night. Local gun store had some left over from Black Friday. Took home a Ruger American Ranch Rifle for $349.

I've been eyeing them as well, mostly the Ruger as mentioned above, that's a hell of a deal and would be hard to pass up. I think it would make a great short range heavy cover rifle/round. What optics is everyone using?
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
    I've been eyeing them as well, mostly the Ruger as mentioned above, that's a hell of a deal and would be hard to pass up. I think it would make a great short range heavy cover rifle/round. What optics is everyone using?
    I bought a Vortex Crossfire II 2x7x32 for mine. Haven’t got it mounted yet though. I plan to use it for a brush gun.

11. Member
    Leupold Freedom Muzzleloader scope. Just shot a doe with it this weekend and it performed amazing. My 2nd shot out of the gun was hard to find. I thought I missed paper. Nope, it was basically in the same hole. I have a feeling I am going to love this gun.
    Last edited by Jiggumup; 12-11-2018 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggumup View Post
    Leupold Freedom Muzzleloader scope. Just shot a doe with it this weekend and it performed amazing. My 2nd shot out of the gun was hard to find. I thought I missed paper. Nope, it was basically in the same hole. I have a feeling I am going to love this gun.
    How is the recoil?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    How is the recoil?
    I don’t think it’s that bad. I have a slip on Simms pad on my mossberg slug gun to make that manageable and had full intentions of doing that with this gun. I don’t think it is necessary now. Sitting at a bench and going through a box of shells, you’ll notice it towards the end but that could be said with any larger caliber. I’d be more concerned with ear protection. It is LOUD. This is my first ruger, I’m impressed so far.

What’s the drop on it at 200?
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner View Post
    What’s the drop on it at 200?
    Around here, deer hunters typically sight in 3 inches high at 100, and that puts it about 3 inches low at 200. It drops like a rock past 200.
    Steve Sendelweck

16. Member
    I have a Bushmaster AR and it's fabulous. 250FTX @2200fps from 16" and kicks like a 20ga Shotgun. With factory Hornady, shoots one hole groups with Leupold 1x4 Hog Scope.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver