Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dobyns Glass 736

Looking for a chatterbait and squarebill rod. Would this work well?

2. Member
    yes. I have the 735 model and like it a lot. Went with it vs 736 due to only throwing 3/8 oz mostly. haven't tried throwing a square with it, but would work well I think. Has a longer handle, so not the best for roll casting squares

3. Member
    I've got two of them. I use them for chatterbaits and 1/2oz and larger lipless. This is for open water grass applications. I don't feel it would make a good square bill rod where accuracy is needed.

I've got both the 735 and 736 - I haven't decided how much I like them. As mentioned they have longer handles, so can be troublesome for a back boater also. 735 was going to be my 3/8 CB and mid crank rod, 736 1/2 CB, bigger CB, traps, etc... They do the job, but I'm not sure I couldn't do the same with my MBR's. They might be in swap shop soon if anyone looking for the pair...
    Last edited by 78Staff; 12-06-2018 at 05:23 PM.

Might look at the 764cb as well.
    Chris Beverly
    2005 Champion 206 Mercury Verado 275!!!

6. Member
    Good info guys. I have the mbr glx rod too. I was thinking maybe an 843 glx but there seems to be 2 theories on chatterbait rod. Stiff or glass. I also have the dobyns 704cb and 765cb so I guess I should try each before investing in another rod.

7. Member
    Don’t count out the 734c. It is an excellent chatterbait and squarebills rod. I know it isn’t classified as a cb rod, but the 734 has a slower action then the other rods in the line

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris c View Post
    Don’t count out the 734c. It is an excellent chatterbait and squarebills rod. I know it isn’t classified as a cb rod, but the 734 has a slower action then the other rods in the line
    This ^^!! I have a 736 Glass that I bought specifically for chatterbaits. I just recently tried the 734 with a chatterbait and I'm impressed so far. I need to get a little more time with the 734 using a chatterbait before I make my final determination but first impressions are leaning me towards switching to the 734. I had been using the 734 for spinnerbaits, and it's also a great spinnerbait rod. I haven't tried it with squarebills yet though. The 734 has a good delay in the tip that allows the fish to really get the chatterbait before the rod starts putting pressure on them. The 736 has about twice the delay as the 734 but doesn't have the backbone of the 734 when you lean into them. Also, you can feel so much more with the 734, and the 734 does a better job of snapping the chatterbait out of the grass (this is a big deal to me since most of the lakes I fish are slam full of hydrilla year round). Having said all that, I think you would be happy with either. I was satisfied with the 736 before I tried the 734, I just feel that in my case the 734 might end up being a better fit (time will tell).

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow4 View Post
    This ^^!! I have a 736 Glass that I bought specifically for chatterbaits. I just recently tried the 734 with a chatterbait and I'm impressed so far. I need to get a little more time with the 734 using a chatterbait before I make my final determination but first impressions are leaning me towards switching to the 734. I had been using the 734 for spinnerbaits, and it's also a great spinnerbait rod. I haven't tried it with squarebills yet though. The 734 has a good delay in the tip that allows the fish to really get the chatterbait before the rod starts putting pressure on them. The 736 has about twice the delay as the 734 but doesn't have the backbone of the 734 when you lean into them. Also, you can feel so much more with the 734, and the 734 does a better job of snapping the chatterbait out of the grass (this is a big deal to me since most of the lakes I fish are slam full of hydrilla year round). Having said all that, I think you would be happy with either. I was satisfied with the 736 before I tried the 734, I just feel that in my case the 734 might end up being a better fit (time will tell).
    Is yours the split grip? Does it matter if full or split grip?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhard87 View Post
    Good info guys. I have the mbr glx rod too. I was thinking maybe an 843 glx but there seems to be 2 theories on chatterbait rod. Stiff or glass. I also have the dobyns 704cb and 765cb so I guess I should try each before investing in another rod.
    i fish chatterbaits on my 765cb and like it
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

11. Member
    Is yours the split grip? Does it matter if full or split grip?
    Both the 736 and the 734 are full handle. I just bought a 734 split handle a few weeks ago off someone on here in the for sale section, and haven't had a chance to use it yet. I personally prefer a full handle but the split grip I found for sale on this site was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up.

12. Member
    The 736 is a great rod, but not super versatile. Really excels when ripping a chatterbait through grass. Probably too much rod for a squarebill unless you are ripping the crank through grass like a chatterbait. Ive also experimented with this rod and ounce to ounce and a half soft plastic swimbaits with belly trebles. I like it a lot for that used in conjunction with braid

13. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Love the 736 glass so much bought the 735 glass. Both are always rigged on my deck
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

14. Member
    Also, looking at the 7’2” expride glass for Squarebills and chatterbaits. Anybody have any experience with this rod.

15. Member
    736 would be too much rod for squarebills imo unless they are large squarebills. That rod is build to throw chatterbaits, but can also handle spinnerbaits and larger topwaters.

16. Member
    i love the 7'2 med hvy expride glass it handles chatterbaits well and square bills. last year was the first year doing the glass for the chatterbait deal and i can honestly say i i like it for that i ended up buying 2 of the same rod for good measure. also makes a good lipless and topwater rod as well. its a pretty all around moving bait rod. Now all this being said with the expride i was using the jackhammer chatterbait which has a thinner wire hook than the other z man baits. the 736 might be better for the heavier gauge hooks when its all said and done, but the expride is still great in my opinion used it all last spring with a lot of success. what really sold me on the chatterbait glass deal was the fish that hit super close to the boat thats when you are super thankful you have the glass rod . i have missed a lot of fish due to seeing the strike close and yanking it away from the fish.

17. Member
    got the 736 Glass for chatterbait but I am slowing converting for unknown reason. I guess I can throw farther with the chatterbait on the 734.

734C for chatterbait
    736 Glass for Spinnerbait

18. Member
    The 734 Savvy is also a versatile rod for spinnerbaits and chatterbaits if you are wanting a cheaper alternative

19. Member
    I went with the 7'2" glass Expride. Thanks for all the info.

20. Member
    I went with the 7'2" glass Expride. Thanks for all the info.
    Let us know your thoughts on that once you've had a chance to throw with it.I was looking at this rod for chatter baits as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast