How do you clean boat cover AND ?

My Ranger boat cover had some water get in, over the last year i would see a few spots, but this time the floor was wet, and it was a lot of rain over 3 days,
    So what is the best way to clean the cover on or off boat? Is detergents ok?
    I see a lot of people use 303 to reseal, how much sealer would I need for a 19.5 ft boat?
    Thanks

2. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I used my electric pressure washer to clean off my cover and I did it on the boat. Made sense to me because it was pulled tight and wasn’t getting dirt and grass on it from being on a wet ground.

I haven’t resealed mine yet, so I’m gonna watch this thread. Water doesn’t get through my cover unless I do something like leave the front seat out, like I did Sunday, and then it rains all night leaving the whole front deck covered in water. I went and put the front seat back on last night and after sitting for 24 hours there was a little moisture starting to come through.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Thompson water seal, two coats, let it dry in between coats. Use a beach ball or poles to be there are no low spots to sag and hold water puddles
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Member
    I have cleaned my cover both on and off the boat. I have found it to be easier to do it on the boat using a soft bristle brush on a long handle, like a broom handle. If you have some extremely dirty areas that are going to require firmer scrubbing then it my help to be off the boat and on a hard surface. Or for a small area hold a board or something up under your cover to provide a firm backing to scrub against. You can use a weak detergent solution, a prime concern is to make sure that whatever you use is thoroughly rinsed out, not leaving any suds or residue which can later affect the water repellent treatment effectiveness. 303 makes a cleaner that is low sudsing/low residue that is good.
    As far as the recommendation of Thompsons Water Seal, if you use that make sure to get the Thompsons Water Seal Fabric Seal. Any of the other Thompsons dry 'hard' or stiff and when applied to fabric can crack when the fabric is moved or flexed. The 'cracking' my not be visible but it can allow leaks thereby wasting the effort of treating. I personally have used the 303 Fabric Guard a couple times and I have been very happy with the results.
    I also have a 19.5 foot boat and it takes me a gallon of 303 to treat my cover. One of the easiest ways to apply it is to use a pump-up garden sprayer. Use it to apply a even coat over the cover. This definitely is done easiest with the cover stretched on the boat.

I used a boat wash detergent and a soft brush to clean mine. Sprayed it down with "Scotchgard Water Shield" a couple years ago and it is still holding up.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

6. Banned
    Same here, cleaned cover on boat. I used mild dish soap and warm water with soft brush. Rinsed it off and trowel dry the best I could. Once nice and dry I used the 303 stuff, it's not cheap but worked very well. Sprayed on cover small areas at a time let it sit for a few minutes and buffed off with clean micro fiber towel. The cover looked brand new ( it kinda is anyway) deep black and water beeded right off. Did this at end of summer and it still looked good when I stored boat for season in mid November. Even when it did get some road grime, it washed right off. I will add another coat this spring.

This is what I use to reseal my cover. Get a gallon and a cheap hand sprayer and go for it. I leave it on the boat for ease.
    https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass...fing-with-ptef
    Pat Leach

USAF MSgt Retired

1992 Procraft 180 Pro
    2016 Mercury 150 Four Stroke
    2018 Minn Kota Ulterra
    Helix 7 SI/GPS
    Helix 7 Sonar/GPS

8. Member
    Silicone Waterproof spray