Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is Ringfree with Yamalube a good pair?

I've been hearing that if I were to run my 2007 250 HPDI with ring free and Yamalube together, that it limits the carbon build up to none/almost none. Is this true? Thanks!

2. Member
    Never heard of Yamalube running clean. Any of the ones I have messed with running it were pretty nasty. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

3. Member
    Not true...i've been running Yamalube and Ringfree + since I got the 200HPDI in 2008....plugs always have carbon buildup on them....but...when I got the engine it only had 25 hrs on it...now it has almost 500 with no major issues (knock on wood)

4. Member
    Would you guys run Yamalube?

5. Member
    No, Pennzoil

6. Member
    Ringfree and yamahalube for me. 800 hrs and still going.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swampshark View Post
    Not true...i've been running Yamalube and Ringfree + since I got the 200HPDI in 2008....plugs always have carbon buildup on them....but...when I got the engine it only had 25 hrs on it...now it has almost 500 with no major issues (knock on wood)
    What is not true? If the plugs have carbon build up on them I will venture an educated guess the Piston tops do also. Along with carbon lines in the bore. Cj

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IABassin View Post
    Would you guys run Yamalube?
    In a stock marine application that is not torn down and cleaned regularly no. Ran nothing but yamalube in our circle track race sleds with great success but they were torn down every race. Never said a engine will not last with yamalube it is a excellent protector, it is just dirty. Cj

I've never used anything but Yamalube and Ringfree in my 1993 Pro-V since I bought it in 2002. Still runs as strong now as it did then, knock on lots of wood!!!

Tom

10. Member
    Yamalube runs comparatively dirty. Compared to other brands of TC-W3 two stroke oil. Many, many, many that have had carbon fouling when using Yamalube have reported that the problem disappears or all but goes away when running a 100% synthetic oil, say Pennzoil.

Now many that use Yamalube won't and don't have a carbon build up issue. With or without the use of Ringfree. Good for them.

It is the folks that have a carbon buildup problem when using Yamalube that can (1) try Ringfree to see if it cures the problem or (2) try another brand of two stroke oil.

Same with the big block HPDI detonation issue. If using gasoline rated at 87 octane and nothing bad happens, well and good. For those that are suffering detonation damage (once, twice, three times) then something different might need to be done.

Remember the adage that the definition of a fool is one who keeps doing the same thing to his detriment while expecting the outcomes to be different.

11. Member
    I have ran nothing but Pennzoil in 14 years and have next to no carbon and don’t see a reason to ever chance Yamalube and pay twice as much.

12. Member
    Yes, its what the factory says to run.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richhat52 View Post
    Yes, its what the factory says to run.
    Factory says to use Yamalube or equivalent TC-W3 oil.

I suspect that Yamaha would rather have a happy VZ owner that uses an equivalent oil than an unhappy VZ owner that uses Yamalube.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    Factory says to use Yamalube or equivalent TC-W3 oil.

I suspect that Yamaha would rather have a happy VZ owner that uses an equivalent oil than an unhappy VZ owner that uses Yamalube.

Would penzoil synthetic work as an equivalent?

15. Member
    Pennzoil full synthetic has been discontinued.
    I've been using Pennzoil Premium Plus ( synthetic blend) with good results and at a decent price.
    2007 Skeeter 21i 300HDPI

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IABassin View Post
    Would penzoil synthetic work as an equivalent?
    If rated TC-W3, yes.

17. Member
    And it is a very good oil. Cj

18. Member
    I switched from using Yamalube to Penzoil 2 years ago. Big difference when I do a tune-up. Everything is much cleaner.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MYRX View Post
    I switched from using Yamalube to Penzoil 2 years ago. Big difference when I do a tune-up. Everything is much cleaner.
    It's hard to argue with facts, seen the same a bunch of times. BUT some will still argue just to do so. CJ

20. Member
    About 25 years ago I bought a new Skeeter (the last one) and it had a Yamaha on it C115. I asked my dealer what 2 stroke oil to use and he said at the time only three companies make all the 2 stroke oil. So today I doubt there are anymore making it and probably more likely only two, with a lot of rebranding of this oil from these mfr's. FYI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast