Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Grass Carp in Harris

Saw a whole flat bed trailer of aeration tanks w/ grass carp unloaded at Hollemans today. Thousands and Thousands. They just won't leave well enough alone. We'll have us a Kentucky Lake mess in a few years.
    Last edited by bbbill; 12-05-2018 at 08:50 AM.

2. Banned
    That sux.....

Ohh the good ole days....

Hope they chow down on all that damn black snot grass.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

Past few years I have seen a lot of common carp rooting around in the primrose.

Those carp gonna put them where I like em :)

Grass carp are way better in your lake than chemicals...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

6. Banned
    This doesn't surprise me a bit. Here in North Carolina we specialize in destroying great Fisheries. In every other state they do their best to keep grass and here in North Carolina we do our best to kill it. Three of the finest Fisheries that this world has ever seen have been destroyed due to the loss of grass here in NC. Keep it up North Carolina. and as a side note there is no killing the blacks notgrass. The cart don't touch it at all as evidence by the cart that live in tuckertown. it's still just as bad as ever in that late and the grass carp have been in there for quite a while. And it does not matter whether it is chemicals or cart, when the grass leaves the fish leave. it breaks my heart to see what has happened to this Fishery as I remember the good old days growing up.

7. Member

The LOAD

painful..................
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Member
    I've fished Harris since 1982 and it's terrible what they have done to it. Kerr and Gaston are in the same situation, they just won't leave the lake alone. What a shame

Quote Originally Posted by bbbill View Post
    Saw a whole flat bed trailer of aeration tanks w/ grass carp unloaded at Hollemans today. Thousands and Thousands. They just won't leave well enough alone. We'll have us a Kentucky Lake mess in a few years.
    While I don’t like it, it’s not the same as KY lake. They don’t breed like that or jump. They also don’t filter feed on plankton and destroy the base of the food chain. Not sure about these, but in other stockings they used a sterile variety. We all love the hydrilla but is is an invasive species. We can’t grip about one invasive not being eradicated while gripping that another is.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

10. Member
    As soon as the carp are done with the Hydrilla and get hungry then they go to the reeds and whatever else. Texas destroys lakes too, Conroe and Lake Austin to name 2 that had trophy fish in them and then a major downturn in bass fishing once grass carp were introduced. Yes, hydrilla is invasive but Carp eat native aquatic vegetation too....
    Kyle

2010 Nitro Z-7

PB: 11 lbs, 1 oz

11. Member
    It really is unfortunate. Rarely does introducing or artificially inflating a species' population to control grass achieve the desired effect without the rest of the ecosystem and food chain being affected. I've really been able to tell a big difference in how the larger fish are setting up without the presence of grass the past few years. Guess we need to start carp fishing, eh?
    2008 Ranger Z21 (Red/Black) w/ 2008 Yamaha 250 HP VMAX Series 2

12. Member
    Can you bowfish at Harris?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joshd2 View Post
    Can you bowfish at Harris?

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    While I don’t like it, it’s not the same as KY lake. They don’t breed like that or jump. They also don’t filter feed on plankton and destroy the base of the food chain. Not sure about these, but in other stockings they used a sterile variety. We all love the hydrilla but is is an invasive species. We can’t grip about one invasive not being eradicated while gripping that another is.
    And why not?you don't hear anyone up north griping about gobies or zebra mussels do you? Of course not because they're the greatest thing that ever happened to any of those lakes. you don't see them trying to eradicate either of those things do you? I don't care how invasive something is, if it helps why mess with it? Hydrilla has never hurt any late that it got into. But taking it away sure has killed a lot of water.

Quote Originally Posted by kb_rn View Post
    And why not?you don't hear anyone up north griping about gobies or zebra mussels do you? Of course not because they're the greatest thing that ever happened to any of those lakes. you don't see them trying to eradicate either of those things do you? I don't care how invasive something is, if it helps why mess with it? Hydrilla has never hurt any late that it got into. But taking it away sure has killed a lot of water.

It helps bass fishing, they may not make the overall ecosystem better. There may be instances where it does but that's not typical. Why mess with it? Well, because the law of unintended consequences has a way of coming up and biting us on the ass. And removing hydrilla for a lake where it is not a native species does not "kill" the lake. It returns it to its natural state. It might have a big negative effect on bass fishing we is bad for us, but to say it kills the lake is a very self-centered and short sighted approach. That said, I wish they would leave it alone in Harris as well but I can understand why taking it out is a priority. It does not seem to hurt Harris but what if it spreads. I'm kinda surprised it hasn't to be honest. While it makes fishing in Harris better what if it got establish down stream and screwed up some other forum of fishing down there? Those are the unknowns that come with invasive species. Kudzu was introduced for erosion control and I've seen it wipe out huge areas of native vegetation.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

16. Member
    Harris is not a natural lake it is a man made reservoir. So saying that wanting the grass there is no more self centered than wanting it gone since both the lake and grass are unnatural in ecosystem.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropshotter View Post
    Harris is not a natural lake it is a man made reservoir. So saying that wanting the grass there is no more self centered than wanting it gone since both the lake and grass are unnatural in ecosystem.
    Meh, I see where you are going with that and it's not wrong but still not the same. That reservoir won't pick itself up and go inundated some other area. Hydrilla can, and has in many instances, spread to other bodies of water. Hydrilla is not native to North America. Asian Carp started off in contained, man-made ponds as well and that didn't turn out so well.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

18. Banned
    Bruce... While I think you are correct on invasive species but in this case the veg has been in harris since I came to State in the 80's. The dam was complete in 1981 so Harris has had veg in it far more years than it has not and I have little doubt any shakeout in the ecosystem is long past and everything has adapted I would say at this point.

I think what we are going to find out is what a major eco change will do to a lake that has been adjusted to it for years without any huge issues at the lake or down stream in buckhorn creek that dumps into the cape fear river. Time, I think, trumps the non native species in this case. We don't see any veg like what is in Harris in Jordan or Falls and it would be there by now if it were to spread.

I think Harris maintains the hydrilla because it has a more stable water level where as Falls and Jordan can very greatly.
    Last edited by imbatman; 12-13-2018 at 06:05 PM.

19. Member
    "NC Wildlife Resources Commission held an informal meeting yesterday concerning the Shearon Harris Habitat Grant. They are set to install 700 features and hundreds of native plants in the lake to help with the loss of habitat."

on FB yesterday...

20. Member
    Maybe they will put in some floating astro turf so I can frog fish. LOL!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast