Ultrex cable issue

Was fishing this weekend and when running the ultrex the steering cable popped loose. I assumed it was a broken cable but when i pulled on it it didnt come all the way out like cables ive broken in the past. I tried an on the water repair but was unable to get the end of the cable back in its hole due to too much tension on the cable. I took it apart today and got everything back where it goes but theres still too much slop in the cable to make it work. I can assemble everything and spin the tm head manually then the foot pedal will push forward and move the tm head but then nothing works due to the slop. Have i broken a cable and its just not pulling all the way out or do i have another problem. I can get it to where both cables have slop. Ive played with the tension screw and it doesnt seem to make any difference. I can get all cables back into the correct holes with the tension screw tight, so that tells me theres way too much slop andmakes me think theres a broken cable somewhere. Ive attatched a picture of the cable that initially came loose
    Attached Images Attached Images
    They aint got hands, set the hook

2. Member
    There is two cables. Each is attached at the footpedal and to the cable drum. The cable drum is located under the plastic housing on top of the steering module. If the cable is broke, you should be able to grab the end that was attached to the footpedal and pull that piece of the cable (from the footpedal to the break) out of the sheath. If you pull on the cable at the end that goes in the footpedal and nothing comes out, that usually indicates the cable is not broke. The next step would see if the cable came unwrapped at the cable drum. This would be done by removing the plastic piece where it goes into the steering module. These instructions are in with the installation instructions for setting the "timing" or the orientation of the motor to footpedal. Basically you'll pop the cap off the grommet, remove the plug and unplug, then remove the two screws holding the grommet to the steering conduit and lift the grommet off the top. This will reveal the cable drum to see if the cable has unwrapped from the drum.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    You most likely have a broken cable. Do yourself a favor and replace both of them whether your doing it or having it done. Make sure to get the updated cables when you do. Your ultrex should still be under warranty so it shouldn’t cost you but you have dove into it yourself already. That you should keep under your hat. Just take it to your nearest authorized service center and get er fixed up. OCD as I am I bought a extra set to keep in my garage know that by doing that I will never need to replace em again! At 15 bucks each it seemed like cheap insurance. The tech took the time to show me how to replace them just Incase I ever need to myself.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    There is two cables. Each is attached at the footpedal and to the cable drum. The cable drum is located under the plastic housing on top of the steering module. If the cable is broke, you should be able to grab the end that was attached to the footpedal and pull that piece of the cable (from the footpedal to the break) out of the sheath. If you pull on the cable at the end that goes in the footpedal and nothing comes out, that usually indicates the cable is not broke. The next step would see if the cable came unwrapped at the cable drum. This would be done by removing the plastic piece where it goes into the steering module. These instructions are in with the installation instructions for setting the "timing" or the orientation of the motor to footpedal. Basically you'll pop the cap off the grommet, remove the plug and unplug, then remove the two screws holding the grommet to the steering conduit and lift the grommet off the top. This will reveal the cable drum to see if the cable has unwrapped from the drum.
    John
    Hopefully this is it. When you pull the cable coming from the trolling motor it gets very tight and you cant pull it out. Coming unwrapped from the drum sounds exactly like what i was trying to describe, just didnt know how to say it. Ill open it up tomorrow to see if thats the issue and report back. Nearest authorized repair center is over an hour away so if its something simple id like to fix it myself and im fairly mechanically inclined so it shouldnt be an issue. Thank you so much for your response. The motor was on a used boat i bought so there probably isnt any warranty carrier over to me. If it does wind up being a broken cable roughly how much would i be looking at to get them replaced?

5. Member
    That would also make sense as to why i can get everything put in place and spin the head till everything then gets tight then the foot pedal would work pushing down before it all goes limp

6. Member
    It is in fact a broken cable. Broke about 2-3" from where it attaches to the drum. Now to try to find somebody to fix it or maybe just get the parts and attempt it myself.

7. Member
    Call me Monday if you wish. I have the cables in stock. Putting them on an Ultrex is a higher level of difficulty than putting them on a Maxxum or Fortrex, but is doable.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

8. Member
    Sent you a pm Mr. Jones. Ive got everything apart and the install actually looks very straight forward. I read about indexing the motor to the foot pedal and it seems easy enough. The hardest part it seems to me would be getting the big ends on the ultrex to pull through the rigging

9. Member
    Put the cables in, took about an hour and a half by myself. Hoping i got everything right. Ran into a couple rough patches but it wasnt a bad job at all. The biggest dumb move i made was after i got all the cables put back together and the drum back on i went to try the foot pedal and it wouldnt turn the head. Scratched my head for 10 minutes before i realized i still had the little plug unplugged and wasnt getting any elecytic steer. The cables pulled through the sheath easier than i expected. Its a job anybody with a little ingenuity can do.