My other gun question.

I started a thread about gun trust for suppressors and SBRs. I'm thinking of building a AR pistol for starters and then looking at turning it into a SBR or a two stamp gun with suppressor. It seems it's easier to build the pistol then convert it into a SBR once you receive the stamp then apply for a suppressor stamp. Should I build a 10.5" 300 blackout or 5.56 or build an upper for both? I have a civilian Colt M4 in 5.56 just wondering if building a pistol should I go 300 blackout as it was designed for shot barrels and does well suppressed if I decide to go suppressed. Obviously I will build my pistol first then deside on SBR or suppressor stamp as the take a while to receive. Ideally I would like to have a suppressed SBR but for the time being I should just build a pistol. So 5.56 or 300 blackout? I know the "what are your intended use questions will arise" but I just want to build a gun even though it's going to cost a lot of $$ I'll be piecing it all together and it's not something I plan on going out and starting tomorrow. Thanks.

2. Member
    For SBR, I would recommend going with the 300 BLK. I have SBRs in both 300 BLK and 5.56 and the 300 is just all around better in short barrels. 5.56 was not intended for barrels that short, and will have tremendous gas blowback, loss of velocity, and louder than you can imagine. Also check your suppressor manufacturer for minimum barrel lengths to prevent baffle erosion.

But the nice thing about an AR-15 SBR stamp, is you can easily change uppers. Build it as a pistol and submit SBR Form 1, when form is approved you can install a stock on it. Then buy all the short uppers in whatever calibers you want. I have 5.56 uppers, 300 BLK uppers, 9mm upper, and 45 ACP upper.
    2018 Ranger Z185
    Yamaha 150 SHO w/ Tempest 23P
    Ultrex 80 Link
    Helix 10MDI & 12MSI G2N at console
    Helix 10 M+DI G4N w/ M360 and Garmin 93 w/ LiveScope at bow
    Atlas Jackplate
    12' Talons

5.56 will still be uncomfortably loud, even with a suppressor. 300 BLK with subsonics will be much quieter. If you go 300, consider an 8 inch barrel. No real loss in performance vs 10.5 and smaller package.
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

4. Member
    Bought and assembled an Aero Precision upper and lower yesterday using Spikes lpk. I've ordered KAK blade brace with their adjustable buffer tube. Now the decision of barrel, rail, BCG, and sights. I'd like to eventually have an Aimpoint Pro. For now once I get finished it'll be a pistol then I'll look into getting a stamp.

5. Member
    Thinking now the possibility of a 7.5 inch with a blast forwarding device. Thought or suggestions are welcome.

6. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    You need to show a picture of the lower with a pistol stock on it!!!

You can not build it as a rifle, then make it a pistol. BS i know but once it is a rifle, you cannot build it into a pistol!!!

You can check the laws on this Or I can find it for you.

Once it is a rifle it must always be a rifle, but if you build a pistol you can go to a rifle and back to a pistol. So I always take a picture of my lowers with serial number with a pistol stock for the record. Just incase it ever comes up!

If Aero sent you the paper work showing it as a rifle lower you are screwed, Once a rifle always a rifle. If the paper work shows as neither then you are good to go.
    Last edited by Hickory Legend; 12-27-2018 at 11:48 PM.

7. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Most stripped lower as sent as nether on the FFL paper work!!
    But if Aero sent you a lower with a rifle stock on it, its a rifle and you better not put a blade on it!! This will make you illegal!!!!

8. Member
    No its a stripped lower and upper, I ordered a KAK blade pistol brace and pistol tube, it will be a pistol unless I decide to file the paperwork to make it a sbr rifle later on down the road. More than likely won't as all my particulars will be in the "beast" system. Lower is built minus tube as it hasn't arrived, upper I've only installed forward assist and dust cover.

https://www.kakindustry.com/shockwave
    Last edited by Cestratton; 12-28-2018 at 06:49 AM.

9. Member
    Well lower and upper are complte with KAK brace and their dimpled buffer tube. I just ordered, against all recommendations, a 7.5" barrel from Ballistics Advantage. Now to figure out what rail system and optic I want. With that short barrel I'll need a flash can or blast forwarding device. My goal is to have the rail stop at the muzzle threads and a fat can .(not suppressor) coming out to give the look of a integrally suppressed weapon. I know it sounds silly but I like the look.