LEGEND 199 225 PRO XS

Compressor going out!

Got some good news from my mechanic, my compressor on my 2012 225 PRO XS was leaking oil and getting to go out, my mechanic said well that's goping to be around $1000 to replace. When he called his guy to order one he told him he had rebuild kits. Got lucky and saved a lot of money. This is the first one he has rebuilt so guess I'm the guinnie pig to see if it holds up! Has anybody on here ever rebuilt one and if so did it hold up?
    LEGEND ALPHA 199 225 PRO XS

Man, I would not trust a rebuild kit. If it blows, usually it messes up the injectors and the fuel system must be serviced. That bill is not a friendly one. I would buy a NEW compressor.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    If the compressor goes you will shower the fuel system with metal savings that will score your cylinder walls. You run a fine line between minor damage to major which is a powerhead replacement. This is my past experience. Buy only genuine Mercury parts.
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link
    Helix 12 Mega SI & Garmin Livescope w/ 1242XSV GPSmap

4. Member
    Kit from Mercury?
    Last edited by gehol; 12-05-2018 at 04:42 PM.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please check out the 3L Forum (correct forum for this engine).

Mercury does not offer rebuild kits- and internal parts are all superseded to a complete replacement compressor. Not an area to play around with- as indicated above, fuel rails, hoses, DI's and injectors need to be cleaned and validated, return oil line filters need replaced, possibly belt, and an oil pump prime sequence needs to be done on the Computer Diagnostic System.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. LEGEND 199 225 PRO XS
    Guess I should have checked with you guys before instead of after! It is rebuilt, running very good. I'm going to keep a close eye on it, you guys got me nervous. Mechanic said only thing wrong with compressor was a seal, everything else looked good. Kit came with all new parts, I might get lucky, maybe not. I will let you know if it doesn't hold up!
    LEGEND ALPHA 199 225 PRO XS

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Be interesting to know what part number this "kit" is (and what parts it came with).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor