Ultrex Heading Sensor

Installing a new Ultrex. Just curious, for those that have an Ultrex, of the installed location of your heading sensor?
    I know it should not be installed near any magnetic fields. Does it make much of a difference in accuracy if installed near the bow or near the console?
    Thanks in advance for responses.

2. Member
    I recently installed my Ultrex. I ask about same question you did and got mixed info.
    Here is my take. The puck it basically a compass. Keeping it away from magnetic fields is important.
    Where puck is located in boat had little if any impact on spot lock. Spot lock will work without puck. Puck is important
    for following a track. Be sure and use remote to calibrate puck and set proper distance from keel centerline.
    Pairing and calibrating are very easy to do and covered well in your installation directions.

3. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Installed mine near the power pole foot switch on front deck left side .....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

4. Member
    It is only a Heading Sensor or basically a compass. Accuracy is not affected by location on the boat as long as you can make the Bluetooth connection and there is no magnetic interference. Can't use Jog function without it. Don't forget the calibration as mentioned.

I mounted my heading sensor at the back of my boat were my old HB gps puck was located. Works like a champ.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175. Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    I mounted my heading sensor at the back of my boat were my old HB gps puck was located. Works like a champ.
    I asked Humminbird where to install and they said your configuration is best.

Dodger123

Precision sonar now had a bracket to mount them in their graph mount
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 1BADAIR; 12-08-2018 at 06:55 PM.
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger123 View Post
    I asked Humminbird where to install and they said your configuration is best.

Dodger123
    I figured that the hole was already were it needed to be. I don't run birds anymore so I had to leave the old gps puck in place or have a cool hole in the rail of my boat. The Minn Kota heading sensor was a perfect match. Its in a place were there is no metal or electronics close by. I see most folks mounting the sensor right next to the trolling motor and electronics. I have had experience with magnetic fields really screwing up a compass in the past. The sensor just needs to be aligned with the keel.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175. Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

9. Member
    Isn't most of the magnetic field created by the lower unit of the TM? and when deployed, if the puck is on the bow (where the old bow running light used to be). be ok? I put mine in a old point one location (since I had 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Lykins Tr21 View Post
    Isn't most of the magnetic field created by the lower unit of the TM? and when deployed, if the puck is on the bow (where the old bow running light used to be). be ok? I put mine in a old point one location (since I had 2)
    Your okay...Magnetic field can be caused by electrical currents from electronics and wiring. Our bass boats stow the wiring under the deck. So long as you don't coil up your trolling motor wires directly under your heading sensor you should fine..Lots of guys doing the installing on the bow with no issues. It just follows the Good, Better and Best rule.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lykins Tr21 View Post
    Yes, the biggest is the lower unit, but don't forget about the steering motor located inside the steering module. It doesn't (we hope) go underwater. On my installs, if possible, I mount the heading sensor under the mount arm when the motor is in the stowed position -- out of the way of the stabilizer, but about even with.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

12. Banned
    For a piece of mind so you don't worry about exact locations I have my head compass sensor on my transom. The important part is to have the sensor unit running parallel to the center line of your boat and away from major EMF interference.
    Enjoy your Ultrex
    I'm off to get the ice fishing gear ready for the weekend.