Cockpit Mystery Hairline Cracks

I am getting hairline cracks on my 2002 Pro175 cockpit and can't figure out why. I have always kept it wiped down with marine vinyl protector when I do my seats and although the boat is stored outdoors, it has always been double covered (boat cover and a silver tarp over the cover). I sent an email to G3 last week, but have not heard from them. Anyone experience this with this model year? I am the original owner. I am concerned about the structural integrity.

I am experiencing the same on my 2002 HP 180. It's uv sun damage and age I've had others tell me.
    G3 HP180
    Yamaha 115 4 Stroke

3. Member
    I emailed G3 and asked if there would be a structural integrity problem, or just looks strange, but no response from a week ago. I have been wondering about two solutions if it is cosmetic only. First is to tape it off and spray it with PlastiCoat, or have a wrap made to apply to the cockpit. If it only a cosmetic issue I am thinking having it wrapped is a better solution. I wonder what a new cockpit would cost for a dealer to swap it out. No doubt a lot.

4. Member
    Finally heard from the G3 Quality Control Manager who says the cracks are cosmetic only and the console for that year G3 is not available anymore, so it looks like I will pursue a wrap to cover it.

5. Member
    More bad news. Now I have found real stress cracks on the console from rough water running I guess. Just a few on the bends, but real tiny 2" cracks. G3 says the console is fiberglass with a plastic like cover. Anyone experienced this? My plan now is to fill the cracks with MarineTec and sand them smooth. MarineTec dries white, so my next move is either to spray paint the whole console exterior, or just have a wrap made to put over the console. Too cold now to do anything. My concern is if the console is a plastic material, what king of paint to put over it?

6. Member
    I found a product called Magic EZY Hairline Fix for hairline crack repair. It comes in differrent colors to match where it is going and Amazon sells it. First you have to score the cracks, then apply it to fill. As soon as it warms I am going to give it a try, then may paint it, or put on a wrap.

7. Member
    Sounds good. Its online adv. says it flexes. That would be important.

I wonder what material it actually is? Probably some form of caulk/epoxy/super-glue. Doesn't matter as long as you are happy with the results. Good luck.

8. Member
    I heard from a fellow on Bass Restoration , who has used it to repair his jelcoat and said it works on hairline cracks, but not for fiber glass repait. MagicEZY also makes a product for cracks up to 6mm deep. Amazon sells both and they come in colors to match the surface being repaired. When it warms I will go for it.

9. Member
    I have a Port side console for a HP170, HP180, HP190, HP200