Tandem trailer actuator

My last 2 trips out the disc brakes on my 2011 Ranger trailer have been locking up. Had to stop a number of times and use the push rod release bracket on the actuator to get the brakes to release. Is there something I can trouble shoot to fix or do I just need to replace the entire actuator? How hard is it to replace?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

When you unhook your trailer, do you make sure that your actuator is pulled all the way out? And, when you hook-up, do you reach under the actuator and make sure that the brake release lever is free? If not, it could just be that the pads are sticking.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    When you unhook your trailer, do you make sure that your actuator is pulled all the way out? And, when you hook-up, do you reach under the actuator and make sure that the brake release lever is free? If not, it could just be that the pads are sticking.
    Yes, I pull the actuator out when I unhook the trailer. I also check the to make sure the brake release lever is free. Brakes seem to lock up when I am going down a hill and tap on the brakes. It’s like the actuator moves forward but won’t move back to release brakes. When I stop to check, the release lever is activated, push it free(little hard to push in), then I’m good until I have to stop again or go down a hill.

Quote Originally Posted by vmax View Post
    Yes, I pull the actuator out when I unhook the trailer. I also check the to make sure the brake release lever is free. Brakes seem to lock up when I am going down a hill and tap on the brakes. It’s like the actuator moves forward but won’t move back to release brakes. When I stop to check, the release lever is activated, push it free(little hard to push in), then I’m good until I have to stop again or go down a hill.
    That's an inherent problem with surge brakes. Try your best to avoid touching the brakes when going down hill. When you do, the momentum of the boat moves the actuator forward, applying the brakes. If you can not avoid hitting the brakes when going down hill, when you do take your foot off of the brake, hit the accelerator sharply. This should pull the actuator forward and release the brakes. If you just ease on the gas, the actuator will still be in a rearward position applying pressure tot he brakes.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

That's an inherent problem with surge brakes. Try your best to avoid touching the brakes when going down hill. When you do, the momentum of the boat moves the actuator forward, applying the brakes. If you can not avoid hitting the brakes when going down hill, when you do take your foot off of the brake, hit the accelerator sharply. This should pull the actuator forward and release the brakes. If you just ease on the gas, the actuator will still be in a rearward position applying pressure tot he brakes.
    Thanks Jeff.

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    So the trailer brakes are on, the tow vehicle is accelerating, yet somehow the trailer goes just as fast as the tow vehicle with no pulling on the ball?

This is a myth. The brakes will pull the actuator out no matter how you accelerate.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    So the trailer brakes are on, the tow vehicle is accelerating, yet somehow the trailer goes just as fast as the tow vehicle with no pulling on the ball?

This is a myth. The brakes will pull the actuator out no matter how you accelerate.
    I see what you're saying now. But, then why would his brakes stick going down hill? It seems that they are working fine, otherwise.

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I see what you're saying now. But, then why would his brakes stick going down hill? It seems that they are working fine, otherwise.
    My guess would be a sticky actuator.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

9. mikesxpress
    The actuators are limited life components. Yours is a 2011 and while the actual time in use does play into the longevity, if you get 5 years out of them before they start failing your fortunate. Replace the actuator. If you have a swing away tounge it's much easier to remove it and the actuator and then R&R it upside down. Note: Look for any corresponding wear on the actual housing the actuator fits in. Primarily the areas where the pins go thru. If these holes/slots are worn, replace it. If you have a fixed trailer tounge, that's a whole different can of worms.

10. Member
    Exactly what Mike posted. Additionally inspect the entire system. Bleed the system with fresh fluid.

11. mikesxpress