Rough water ride in 721

I finally got my 721 out in some rougher water this weekend and was very impressed. I came out of a 921 into this 721 and driving the 721 is much easier in bigger water. The 721 rides a little lighter in the nose than my 921 due to getting a little more bow lift amd the 921 was smoother. In rough water the bow lift makes it much easier to keep the nose up and over the waves instead of riding so flat. It was interesting listening to other guys in other brands at the ramp talking about how rough of a ride they took while it was fairly easy on us. What sells you on a phoenix is when we got back to the ramp my buddy that was with me looked at me and said "dang, im glad we brought your boat today, mine wouldve beat us to death". Im still just as impressed with Phoenix as i was when i bought my first one
    They aint got hands, set the hook

2. Member
    Same here, I have a 2013 721 and absolutely love the ride, and after 3 back surgeries that is high on my list! Plus they run purty good when it is smooth!
    2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Ser No 2B779353
    Ultrex/Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega/Helix 10 Mega DI/Mega 360
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

3. Member
    Best riding boat I've ever been in. People are always impressed when they take a ride in the rough stuff.

2022 21PHX

Previous boats:
    2017 Phoenix 721 ProXP
    2000 Triton TR186

The ride is what sells Phoenix boats.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    The ride is what sells Phoenix boats.
    Yep. That's why they are popping up all around Rayburn and toledo.

6. Member
    I keep hearing this...and of course as much as the die hards talk about how great Champions are (and I'll admit, it's done pretty well). Makes me comfortable with considering upgrading to a Phoenix in the future when finances come together for it. Everything else seems light years better than my champ on the birds.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Milehibird View Post
    I keep hearing this...and of course as much as the die hards talk about how great Champions are (and I'll admit, it's done pretty well). Makes me comfortable with considering upgrading to a Phoenix in the future when finances come together for it. Everything else seems light years better than my champ on the birds.
    Champ is a great ride. I will be honest, I've been looking around lately and thinking about purchasing next year around this time. We'll have to see if that happens but it's a plan anyway. I started looking at falcon, ranger, and charger(the 210 champ model). Out of those the only one that comes close to what I like about my phoenix is the falcon. Theres just certain things about the phoenix that the charger or ranger dont have that I really like. After checking out the other ones I know I will be getting another phoenix. Speed, ride, and all the little features that make them fishermen friendly you just cant beat.

Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    Champ is a great ride. I will be honest, I've been looking around lately and thinking about purchasing next year around this time. We'll have to see if that happens but it's a plan anyway. I started looking at falcon, ranger, and charger(the 210 champ model). Out of those the only one that comes close to what I like about my phoenix is the falcon. Theres just certain things about the phoenix that the charger or ranger dont have that I really like. After checking out the other ones I know I will be getting another phoenix. Speed, ride, and all the little features that make them fishermen friendly you just cant beat.

You said it ALL!!

Drive a Bird through its paces and let that make a prospective buyers mind up real quick!

10. Member
    That ride did it for me. Waiting for my boat to come in .....

11. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin is life View Post
    I finally got my 721 out in some rougher water this weekend and was very impressed. I came out of a 921 into this 721 and driving the 721 is much easier in bigger water. The 721 rides a little lighter in the nose than my 921 due to getting a little more bow lift amd the 921 was smoother. In rough water the bow lift makes it much easier to keep the nose up and over the waves instead of riding so flat. It was interesting listening to other guys in other brands at the ramp talking about how rough of a ride they took while it was fairly easy on us. What sells you on a phoenix is when we got back to the ramp my buddy that was with me looked at me and said "dang, im glad we brought your boat today, mine wouldve beat us to death". Im still just as impressed with Phoenix as i was when i bought my first one
    That Sunday 12/2 Cumberland tournament would have been brutal on my 18'9" rig. In a way I was sad I missed it because we were leading in points but in a way I am glad I missed it due to conditions. My wife's family had their Christmas get together so I sat that one out. Going into the season I told my wife what five Sunday's I had a tournament but that was the only date they could rent a place big enough to hold everyone so it is what it is. Jacob's dad sub for me and they had 2 small keepers. Best I remember they caught those 2 early and after that the constant 25 mph wind with 35 mph gust kicked in and pretty much kept them from fishing effective. Based on what results he could remember it was brutal for everyone. I am very proud of Jacob. He has a sense and knowledge for fishing that goes well beyond what most 15 year olds have. The guys who were 2nd in points had some fish but Jacob did not recall the weight. Seems like he said you got 2nd but won the side pot. They have yet to load the results on the website. 12/16 is the last event. Looking at the 10 day weather forecast 12/16 is calling for 40* and rain I know you normally don't fish that particular division but you have done the last two events...you fishing the last one on 12/16?

12. Member
    Don't fish a lot of tournaments these days. But what I can tell you about the ride is this. On a windy tournament day my Bird will pass about everyone ahead of me because of the ride and handling. I'm loaded to heavy to be extremely fast. All boats will bounce but the Phoenix re-entry into the water is where its at, the "soft landing" as they say it true.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

13. Member
    That's why I bought a phoenix. I thought the ride on my ranger was pretty good but after watching guys in birds blow by everyone in the rough stuff I went for a test drive and the ranger was gone asap.