ULTREX AUTO PILOT BUTTON STICKING

I have an Ultrex 112 and the auto pilot button (button with the "N" ) on the foot pedal is sticking. How do I fix this? I'm hoping it is an easy fix. I have no service centers around me. Thanks for the help!

2. Member
    First, flip the footpedal over and take the plate off to see if any debris is around the spring. If not, button it up and take to a service center. The control board will need replacing. The switch is magnet activated with the receiver part of the magnet inside the control board.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    What a poor design. Replace the control board to replace one switch? I have no service centers around me and would be a disaster to take it off the boat and package it up and send it to one. I have already had Minn Kota replace the motor when the steering cables broke on the first one. This isn't right. It just seems like the spring isn't strong enough to push the button up? Can I just replace the spring?

4. Member
    If that is what is wrong. Usually debris is the culprit. However, there is a magnet on the bottom of this switch. It is aligned with a sensor that is built into the control board. When the magnet and sensor meet, the switch it on, when separated, it's off. If the spring isn't pushing the switch up away from the sensor, that could be the problem. Without looking at it, all I can tell you is what to check to keep from taking it to a service center.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

5. Member
    Its diffidently the spring action. Its not the function of the button sticking (on -off) it is the actual plastic button physically sticking and not popping up like it should. Is the spring replaceable?

6. Member
    They are replaceable. I don't have them in stock at this time (as I said before we've not had a problem with them). They will sell for apx $1.00 each
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

7. Member
    Ok I am not around boat until next week. I will pull the plate off the back of the foot pedal and look for debris around the button and try to check the spring out. Like I said it just seems like the spring isn't strong enough to bring button up fully. Is the button easy to get off? Is it similar to taking the Momentary button off? Like tabs that press in from underneath?

8. Member
    The button removes from the bottom
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

9. Member
    ok thank you I will let you know what I find so others can learn as well.

10. Member
    UPDATE so I pulled the back off the foot pedal to get at the auto pilot button. There is just 1 screw holding the button at the bottom. I unscrewed it slid button off and removed the spring. No trash (grass, debris) that I could see but button was hanging up in the slot it fits into. I cleaned the button shaft that slides into its pocket with a fingernail and a cloth and applied white lithium grease to the button shaft. I also stretched the spring just a little bit to get a little more spring action. I put it back together and it works great now no sticking at all. So for anyone that runs into this problem just pull the button clean and lubricate with white lithium grease! I researched lubricants for plastics and this is what I found.

11. Member
    Thanks for the update... thats good info.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    UPDATE so I pulled the back off the foot pedal to get at the auto pilot button. There is just 1 screw holding the button at the bottom. I unscrewed it slid button off and removed the spring. No trash (grass, debris) that I could see but button was hanging up in the slot it fits into. I cleaned the button shaft that slides into its pocket with a fingernail and a cloth and applied white lithium grease to the button shaft. I also stretched the spring just a little bit to get a little more spring action. I put it back together and it works great now no sticking at all. So for anyone that runs into this problem just pull the button clean and lubricate with white lithium grease! I researched lubricants for plastics and this is what I found.
    I just had this happen to mine. I will go to ace for the white lithium grease hopefully they have it.

13. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Good info here.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."