Thread: Tire wear issue

Tire wear issue

I have a 20ft tr 20 Triton on a single axel trailer. I’m having issues with my tires wearing on the inside and outside walls on both sides of the trailer. My air pressure is good and I’ve tried different brands. The center tread is fine and not worn hardly at all. Any ideas on what’s causing this? Any help appreciated.

Attached Images Attached Images

3. Member
    What air pressure is “good”? You will want to air the tires up to the max rating of the tire, cold, especially on a 20 ft boat with single axle. You also may need a higher load rated tire for that combo. Hopefully you are running at least 50 psi.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    What tires and what pressure?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Need to know the weight of your rig, brand of tires, hopefully d rated if not running automotive radials, and size?

How many miles do you tow per year, and how often do you check the pressure?

They appear to be under inflated and you’re going to hear a lot of people say to go with a Goodyear Endurance auto tire.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

6. Member
    The tires are Trail Kings 50psi. Thanks for all the input. Where would someone go to get a boat traile aligned?

7. Member
    Since the wear is even on both sides I wouldn't think there is an alignment issue. I think the tire is overloaded or underinflated. Check the accuracy of your gauge. I have some tires that even though perfectly inflated will wear on both sides. This is that brand of tires' habit.
    Torsion axles?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Since the wear is even on both sides I wouldn't think there is an alignment issue. I think the tire is overloaded or underinflated. Check the accuracy of your gauge. I have some tires that even though perfectly inflated will wear on both sides. This is that brand of tires' habit.
    Torsion axles?
    THIS 100% CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinBrian View Post
    The tires are Trail Kings 50psi. Thanks for all the input. Where would someone go to get a boat traile aligned?
    A 50psi tire is probably overloaded carrying a 20ft glass boat on a single axle. I think this might be your problem
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

10. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    A 50psi tire is probably overloaded carrying a 20ft glass boat on a single axle. I think this might be your problem
    I tend to agree, this is what’s under my 18.5’ tin Triton. What size are they?

It really doesn’t sound like an alignment issue to me, at all. This sounds like a tire incapable of holding the weight of your rig. Depending on what size rim you have the fix could be really simple.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

11. Member
    Had same problem, went to a D rated tire 65lb air pressure no more issues.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nitro3847 View Post
    Had same problem, went to a D rated tire 65lb air pressure no more issues.

Same here.

13. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    That’s a C load rated tire, but I think a D rated would be inadequate as well. A D rated tire would be leaps and bounds better but if it’s on a 14” or larger rim a car radial would be much better imo.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    They appear to be under inflated and you’re going to hear a lot of people say to go with a Goodyear Endurance auto tire.
    Does Goodyear offer the Endurance line in anything other than a trailer tire?

15. Member
    Thank you for all the info! I appreciate your time and input. The tire manufacturer made good on tires and is sending another set. Ill take all suggestions you give me and pay attention to air pressure and load weight! At least I have some starting points thanks to y'all.

16. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    From what I’ve seen the Endurance is just a trailer tire, the Assurance is close but I’m not really a Goodyear guy. However if they made my size the tire has been mentioned enough here that I wouldn’t hesitate!

OP, glad they’re getting you straightened out. Just an FYI but at the ramp today I saw a Triton 186 and a 179; they both had D rated tires in them.