Trailer brake question

While on my snowbird trip to FL I pulled into the Hotel parking lot and went to back up and the brakes were locked. Checked the fuse in the truck and yes it was blown. Replaced the fuse and problem solved or so I thought. Fast forward 3 weeks of multiple trips to the lakes and yesterday I was backing into my driveway after fishing and brakes locked. 2 nickles and some electrical tape got me into the driveway (easy redneck fix). Now, I was looking at the blue wires in the trailer tongue and noticed that 1 blue wire goes to the brake solenoid (as expected) and then it appears 2 blue wires (1 on each side) run to the back. Not sure why that is. Any Ideas?

I was really looking for a broken wire that is causing the short.

Any places to search would be greatly appreciated.

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

2. Member
    Could be bad connection from the metal prongs inside the actual plug. Mine did same thing few weeks ago. put a little dielectric grease on the plug and has worked fine since.

3. Member
    I would think those blue wires go to your reverse lights.

4. Member
    Ran into an simialr issue last month. Checked my fuses in the truck they were good, started looking for a broken wire on the trailer tongue. Didn't find any, looked behind the bumper of my truck where the 7pin connector is and it was unplugged from the backside. Don't know why it would just come loose like it did.
    2017 921proxp 250 SHO

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trrydev35 View Post
    I would think those blue wires go to your reverse lights.
    That makes sense.....

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

6. Scraps
    At least on mine, there is a plug inside the tongue, in the section behind the tongue knuckle. It' just a stock flat plug like everyone used to use on their trailers, one side goes to the trailer, the other side goes through the front of the tongue to the plug. I had mine taken apart last year while fixing a brake problem. I got angry when I saw how they put the wiring together thinking it was sort of a bush league way of wiring a trailer. Anyway, you can pull all that stuff out through the bottom of the trailer and check it all out. Otherwise it just sounds like you've got a bare wire somewhere making contact with the trailer frame somewhere or a bad ground connection.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

7. Member
    If your trailer connection to your vehicle is loose, ie the little gate not locked down over the nub on the plug, it will cause a sort and blow the fuse. It took me a while to figure this out on my old Trailblazer

Ed