water pressure gauge

250 SHO.....Not showing anything on my WP gauge. The line from the telltale to the gauge is unclogged. Telltale has a decent stream for a Sho that is. Any where else I can check for the problem?

2. Member
    Take an air nozzle and lightly, very lightly put air though it and see if the guage moves. If it doesn't than it's got debris in the line and needs cleaned. If gauge doesn't move than disconnect the line from guage and make sure you feel the air coming through. If you do than bad gauge

This is a new faria gauge I just installed. The old one would not work with any air from my compressor. Didn't try this one since it was new, was just hoping it would work. I will take the ling off at the telltale and blow a puff of air from the compressor to see if the new one works. By chance if it does work, where would I look next for the cause of not working.
    Thanks

4. Member
    Does the back of your guage have wires or just a tube?

be careful with the air hose, if you have a reg on your air hose turn it down to about 25 pounds. You could blow up the new gauge

12 lbs 9 oz caught on 4/28/1975 Lake Eufaula

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kk4iz View Post
    be careful with the air hose, if you have a reg on your air hose turn it down to about 25 pounds. You could blow up the new gauge
    This is good advise. See lots of destroyed gauges in my business. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

It has just the tube. I turn down the compressor to just a light "puff" ( for lack of a better word right now). Just enough to see it the needle is affected, same setting I use to blow the dust out of my Mac computer. So I was asking if the line to the gauge is clear, where would I check to see if any thing is clogged before that tube. The one thing I don't like about the SHO is the telltale stream. It's very weak compared to the 250 Pro XS I had before. But everyone says that it is normal. With the telltale that weak I definitely want my WP gauge to work. In the 100 ( seems like it ) years of running a bass boat, 2 gauges I really rely on is the WP & RPM gauge. Will eventually put the digital WP connection on it but for now just have the regular WP gauge. So trying to get it to work but not that familiar with the SHO & where the connections run. Sorry for my ignorance on this.

8. Member
    No prob, I like it to be working also! Stream may seem weak but as you pick up speed it should get stronger. When was the last time you changed the impeller? Did you change just the impeller or put the whole kit on? Maybe it's got a weak seal and could be effecting the flow also. As for the water tube that runs to the guage, I've always checked the tube when I pulled the lower unit off, I think that's the easiest way to get to the tube on motor end. I'd take that tube off the back of the gauge and loose from the motor and blow air from guage back to the motor. You have checked to make sure no debris in the pickup hole on the lower correct? Just making sure. Take a small drill bit and push it in there and make sure it's clear.

The motor was completely serviced this summer. Complete water pump ( impeller, housing, etc), lower unit oil, motor oil changed, etc. The wp gauge was working fine, then just suddenly stopped. I really dislike the telltale on the SHO. It is so weak (compared to a Merc) it's hard to tell anything from it and I hate to pull the lower unit. Seems like nobody really knows the SHO motors or they keep it a mystery. Talked to 3 different Yamaha mechanics & you would think they are giving away ancient secrets. For instance, " is it peeing ok" well yeah, "then it's OK. Another...."Any alarms", well no, "then it's OK". Another....."did it blow up yet". well no, "Then don't worry about it". WHAT. My motor has around 350 hrs & would like to get a few more on it and don't want to buy another gauge especially if I'm not doing something correct to check it. I guess I will pull the lower if their is no other way to check it.
    Thanks

10. Member
    If your guage just suddenly stopped than it had to of gotten debris in it. Did you put a small drill bit in the peto hole and clean it out? I would do that before I ever dropped the lower. I'm personally a Yamaha certified tech and I understand what your saying about the flow compared to Merc. That said though, as long as it is peeing than don't worry about it, it's good! I know it doesn't seem as strong but it's getting the water it needs. Did you put air to it and feel air coming out of the tube at the guage?

Is this thread talking about the water pressure gauge or the speedometer? The small hole on the front part of the lower unit is NOT a pickup for water pressure. That is for the useless Analog Speedometer. The water pressure gauge tube should be hooked up to a push/pull fitting on the BLOCK of the engine, or it could be a ferule fitting, depending on what kind of fitting was used in the block. On my 2016 Yamaha 175 SHO, the fitting is located on the right side of the block (looking at the front of the engine). There is a bolt there that is removed to gain access to the water jacket that cools the engine. On mine, I ordered the digital sender from Yamaha (the harness is already on the engine, it's plug and play)...it comes with two different fittings. One is longer than the other. Remove bolt from engine, screw in fitting, screw in sender, then plug in wiring harness. I wanted a digital readout on my Hummingbird Helix 10 Mega SI gauge page, plus I wanted the analog gauge to work as well, so I took the long fitting that came with the sender and drilled and tapped it for a 1/8 NPT, used the connection that came with the analog gauge tap fitting, so I now have both readings available. I do not think teeing into the pee tube is a good choice for reading the water pressure that goes into and through the water jackets from the impeller. If you order the digital sending unit, it comes with an instruction manual for hooking it up to the SHO engines of every size. That information is fed into the ECM, and with the correct wiring connections CAN feed a digital gauge array, or it will feed a NMEA backbone that can be tapped for all kinds of information on either a Bird or a Lowrance (it's actually easier on the Lowrance finders...the Bird takes a dongle to convert the NMEA 2K signal to an ethernet signal).
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

12. Member
    That is for the useless Analog Speedometer.
    Just a side note..... I generally agree that the water pressure type speedometers are inaccurate.
    After replacing the lower unit on my motor my H20 water pressure speedo started working again......I've checked it several time against my GPS and it is always with 1 mph !
    2007 Skeeter 21i 300HDPI

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ken1okie View Post
    Just a side note..... I generally agree that the water pressure type speedometers are inaccurate.
    After replacing the lower unit on my motor my H20 water pressure speedo started working again......I've checked it several time against my GPS and it is always with 1 mph !
    Everybody seems to have a hate for them but it is not rocket science to adjust one on a hpdi/sho lower. If it reads low open the hole up a bit. Too fast close the edge of the hole up a bit. Lite taps from a body hammer will close it up. Surface area is equal to pressure. I messed with mine until it very accurate. Another one of my OCD's cj

14. Member
    A water pressure type speedometer should not be compared with a GPS speedometer. They are measuring different speeds. In some (many) instances the water pressure speedometer will be more accurate.

One is measuring speed through the water. The other is measuring speed between two points.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    A water pressure type speedometer should not be compared with a GPS speedometer. They are measuring different speeds. In some (many) instances the water pressure speedometer will be more accurate.

One is measuring speed through the water. The other is measuring speed between two points.
    Say what????.....The unit of measure is MPH....... either speedo ultimately comes up with the same result....Miles Per Hour.
    2007 Skeeter 21i 300HDPI

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ken1okie View Post
    Say what????.....The unit of measure is MPH....... either speedo ultimately comes up with the same result....Miles Per Hour.
    Unless you happen to be traveling on a body of water that is moving. CJ