Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SHO Oil Change - Need To Change Filters?

Last year when I changed the oil in my 2016 250 SHO I replaced all the filters. Is it necessary to change all the filters this year? I have about 200 hours on the motor since purchased. I can't find the owners manual.

2. Member
    Yes! Treat it right and always change all filters annually

3. Member
    Yes I change mine every year, Oil filter, under cowling fuel filter and the water/fuel separator mounted in the bilge compartment. Also make sure you get the special wrench for the under cowling fuel filter to unscrew the cup that holds the filter element! If not your asking for a cracked one.

4. Member
    Thanks guys!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    Yes I change mine every year, Oil filter, under cowling fuel filter and the water/fuel separator mounted in the bilge compartment. Also make sure you get the special wrench for the under cowling fuel filter to unscrew the cup that holds the filter element! If not your asking for a cracked one.
    Where can you get the special wrench from?
    2021 Boston Whaler Montauk 170 2021 Merc 115 EXLPT EFI CT serial# 2B801590
    2014 Pathfinder 2200T 2014 Yamaha 250 Sho sold 2000 Allison 2003t 2005 Merc 2.5 280 SS sold

6. Member
    Sim Yamaha

7. Member
    Sim Yamaha
    Thanks, I should have known. Ordered it last night.
    2021 Boston Whaler Montauk 170 2021 Merc 115 EXLPT EFI CT serial# 2B801590
    2014 Pathfinder 2200T 2014 Yamaha 250 Sho sold 2000 Allison 2003t 2005 Merc 2.5 280 SS sold

8. Banned
    well you do not need a special wrench. unbolt it from the bracket an put it in the freezer for 40 min. you can then unscrew it with your hand. i do it this way everytime...

9. Banned
    Note: The Yamaha oil filters are exactly the same as that used in a Ford Focus 2.0 engine. High quality filters are universally available at far less than Yamaha OEM filters at dealers.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    Note: The Yamaha oil filters are exactly the same as that used in a Ford Focus 2.0 engine. High quality filters are universally available at far less than Yamaha OEM filters at dealers.
    Do you happen to have the Wix or Napa number for cross reference?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    To be clear, the mounting size and thread pitch are the same, but the filters are not "identical". I assume the motorcraft filter you are talking about is the FL910S. Yes it does work, as does the wix 51348.

For people who are dead set on saving a few dollars on an oil filter, I'd recommend running a factory toyota 90915-YZZD3 filter. Both the toyota and yamaha filters are manufactured by Denso, although they are still not exactly the same.
    David Patten
    Automotive and marine technician.

12. Member
    It doesn't make a bit of sense to me to invest upwards of 18 thousand in a SHO engine and then turn around and try to save two bucks on another brand filter......and usually lower quality. If I was given a lifetime supply for free, I still wouldn't consider this as a viable option.To each his own I guess.

13. Member
    Just like it makes no sense to unbolt the under cowling fuel filter cup and put it in the freezer to remove it instead of just buying the right wrench to do the job as mentioned above.

14. Member
    Just like it makes no sense to unbolt the under cowling fuel filter cup and put it in the freezer to remove it instead of just buying the right wrench to do the job as mentioned above.
    Yeah ! Why would'nt you want to spend $43,12 + tax and shipping for a wrench when you could put it in the freezer for free. Simm Yamaha prices suck!

The first time I did mine I bought the wrench and still had to freeze it.. Now it comes off by hand without the wrench or freezing.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger519VS View Post
    The first time I did mine I bought the wrench and still had to freeze it.. Now it comes off by hand without the wrench or freezing.
    Thank You!!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davesz518 View Post
    It doesn't make a bit of sense to me to invest upwards of 18 thousand in a SHO engine and then turn around and try to save two bucks on another brand filter......and usually lower quality. If I was given a lifetime supply for free, I still wouldn't consider this as a viable option.To each his own I guess.
    This is a huge misconception in the industry... You can pay an extra 15$ for the yamaha name on that junk 5$ denso filter lol. Cut it open next time and let us know how high quality it is. There's plenty of alternatives out there that are much better at half the price. The wix 51348xp is a great choice.
    It's the same scenario for the synthetic 4 stroke oil... 48$ a gallon from Simyamaha... not for me...

18. Member
    [QUOTE=franktank009;9877287]This is a huge misconception in the industry... You can pay an extra 15$ for the yamaha name on that junk 5$ denso filter lol. Cut it open next time and let us know how high quality it is. There's plenty of alternatives out there that are much better at half the price. The wix 51348xp is a great choice.
    It's the same scenario for the synthetic 4 stroke oil... 48$ a gallon from Simyamaha... not for me...[/QUOTE So is that wix filter a replacement for the Yamaha SHO filter 69J-13440-03-00 ? How did you find it? I checked it on Amazon and like the price.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by franktank009 View Post
    This is a huge misconception in the industry... You can pay an extra 15$ for the yamaha name on that junk 5$ denso filter lol. Cut it open next time and let us know how high quality it is. There's plenty of alternatives out there that are much better at half the price. The wix 51348xp is a great choice.
    It's the same scenario for the synthetic 4 stroke oil... 48$ a gallon from Simyamaha... not for me...
    Actually, the Yamaha N26-13440-02-00 isn't the same as a $5 Denso filter. It uses a very unique media design that I've only seen in factory Toyota and Lexus filters that were made in Japan. All the newer Toyota Denso filters that are made in Thailand use a conventional pleated paper media design. I will post some photos if anyone cares to see the difference, I've cut apart about every filter brand out there.

That being said, if I was going to run an aftermarket filter the Wix 51348XP would be high on my list. It is a high quality filter with excellent synthetic glass fiber media.
    David Patten
    Automotive and marine technician.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by franktank009 View Post
    What oil do you use? All the synthetics seem to be pretty pricey! Is the Wix 5134xp a replacement for Yamaha 69j-13440-03-00' How about the fuel fiter any luck with that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast