189 trx purchase.. 150L 4 stroke or 150 pro xs 2 stroke?

Hey all, purchasing new 2018 trx 189 but have the option of 4 stroke merc 150L or 150 pro xs 2 stroke. After all the issues I’ve had with two strokes in the past I swore I’d never own another 2 stroke and would be a 4 stroke guy from here on out but wanted opinions from those that may know both motors. I’m not a tournament guy and 100% fish crappie in Ohio River tributaries and smaller lakes so we idle around quite a bit (my old 200efi HATES this type of running, gets loaded up tries to fowl plugs). We run some also though. Thoughts and do you all think one is the better pick over the other?? The pro xs is $1,000 cheaper. Thank you all!!

Get the pro xs four stroke , you will love it

2019 RANGER Z518 - Mercury ProXS 150 4 Stroke

·...¸><((((º>
    .··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
    ·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianFLA View Post
    Get the pro xs four stroke , you will love it
    Unfortunately the discounted 2018s I’m looking at don’t have the new pro xs 4 stroke on them. They have the 2019s with them but if I go with a 2018 clearance model I’m saving 5k$ so it’s either the pro xs 2 stroke or 150l mercury 4 stroke.

4. Member
    Both engines are great motors, saving 5K will buy a lot of oil, and extra warranty. T=You should also be able to find a few closeouts with the 4 stroke.

5. Member
    I have lots of time driving both motors. I have a 189TRX with the 150 ProXS 2 Stroke, and a 6” jack plate. My brother has a 150 (non-Pro-XS) 4 Stroke on his Nitro. I like both. His motor is very quiet and runs smoother. Idling and graphing the 4 Stroke is pretty sweet and if you’re idling a lot you may like the 4 Stroke too. We have the same prop, a 21 Tempest plus. I am faster, even loaded down, and accelerate better but that may be the different makes of hull or the jack plate on mine. I really like his 4s, and I like my Pro XS. The 4 Stroke will have more area in back for batteries, power pole pumps or storage because there’s no oil tank. If your dealer doesn’t have the 2 Stroke oil reservoir rigged, it’ll go right in the center back there.
    I would ask your local dealer’s mechanics what they are most comfortable working on...just in case. Maybe tell the mechanic how you’ll be driving it and ask what motor he recommends. Also is the extended warranty the same for each motor?, there’s more parts in the 4s.
    I haven’t had the pleasure of riding in a boat powered by the new Mercs, so could only advise reading other threads on them. (If I did it over, I’d get the 18TRX with a 200 XS 4Stroke, but that’s not your question)

6. Banned
    Get the 4 stroke.

7. Member
    I have the 2019 trx w/a 150 pro xs f/s. So far its an outstanding motor and very powerful, from hole shot to top end. If you scroll down a few posts. It's titled my new toy. With a couple of pics.

I have the 189 TRX with the 150 four stroke. It’s not as fast as a Pro XS two stroke, but will get me to around 54 mph. As described in your circumstances that’s plenty fast enough. I think a four stroke shines at idle speed graphing and has a reputation as being a very reliable motor. I would definitely stay with the four stroke if I was to do it again.

9. Member
    pm sent

10. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    For how YOU fish and your description about how you use your outboard I would think the 4 stroke would be the choice. If I were trying to get every last mph out of the boat, it would be the 2 stroke Pro XS but the “plain” 4 stroke would suit your needs perfectly I believe.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

11. Member
    Get the 4 stroke I wish I did to many problems with the 2 stroke.
    2015 189 trx

12. Member
    Buddy had a 2015 189TRX. It came with a Merc 4 stroke. He saw 54mph. In the hot summer months his hole shot was horrible. His dealer gave him a smoking trade on the motor. He traded it for a 150 Pro XS 2 stroke. His hole shot improved a ton and get now gets about 58mph. He is happy.
    Brad Krone

I idle my 2008 150 Optimax a lot with no issues. I think the latest iteration of the Optimax is pretty solid. That said I'd always choose the 4 stroke. I trust that engine design better and I hate adding oil. Changing oil once is year is OK with me. Also, the 150 Fourstroke is proving to be one of the most reliable outboard available.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by TritonBrad View Post
    Buddy had a 2015 189TRX. It came with a Merc 4 stroke. He saw 54mph. In the hot summer months his hole shot was horrible. His dealer gave him a smoking trade on the motor. He traded it for a 150 Pro XS 2 stroke. His hole shot improved a ton and get now gets about 58mph. He is happy.
    Unless he got the very rare, faulty fourstroke I would bet that was due to improper setup.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

15. Member

USA

A 4-stroke every time.

16. Member
    I have a 2017 189trx with the 150L 4S. Set up properly, it will run right with the 2 stroke. I have the 8" z-lock jack plate set at 3" prop to pad and my best mph is 61.4 gps. These are heavy boats that need added set back and the motor set high to really perform well. I'm in Charleston SC, so I'm pretty close to sea level. That also makes my numbers slightly better than others at higher elevations.

17. Member
    I have a question for you guys that own a trx189. I looked at one yesterday (leftover 2018) and really like it. I have a 2015 Ranger RT188 with Yamaha 115 4stroke. I love my Ranger but as I get older, a softer ride is becoming more important. The main reason I went aluminum was the tow weight. I live on a mountain in Tenn and don't need to be pulling a bunch of weight up and down the mtn. In your opinion...what kind of weight are you guys pulling (boat, motor, trailer, fuel, gear) with your trx189? Thanks for any info or advice given.

18. Member
    Pull mine with 1/2 ton pickup with no problems, I am sure you could look the weights up on the Triton website.... Not near as heavy as the dual wheel trailers and bigger boats but still give that ride on the water your looking for...
    Quote Originally Posted by wjay62 View Post
    I have a question for you guys that own a trx189. I looked at one yesterday (leftover 2018) and really like it. I have a 2015 Ranger RT188 with Yamaha 115 4stroke. I love my Ranger but as I get older, a softer ride is becoming more important. The main reason I went aluminum was the tow weight. I live on a mountain in Tenn and don't need to be pulling a bunch of weight up and down the mtn. In your opinion...what kind of weight are you guys pulling (boat, motor, trailer, fuel, gear) with your trx189? Thanks for any info or advice given.

Quote Originally Posted by wjay62 View Post
    3500 lbs give or take depending on fuel and gear.