Thread: Tracker Valve

Tracker Valve

1B737378
    FEB 2009
    250 PRO XS L

Don a couple of questions on this topic.

I have replaced the tracker valve about a few months ago. What prompted me to do so was that suddenly, I have had to pump the primer bulb so that it would start right up. Never had to do this before as the fuel pressure would hold when the outboard sat for a few weeks at a time and it would crank right up in the morning without pumping the primer. So I pulled the Tracker valve and in fact it had a tiny tear in it. Replaced it with a fresh purple one.

The issue has not gone away. Where else is the most common fuel pressure loss. O-Rings at injectors? Any thoughts?

Also when you replace the tracker valve, is there anything else I need to do?

Tom

2. Member
    Tracker valve is not really related to the primer bulb. First suspect is the bulb itself as it has check valves inside that can fail.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

Quote Originally Posted by tomloans View Post
    1B737378
    FEB 2009
    250 PRO XS L

Don a couple of questions on this topic.

I have replaced the tracker valve about a few months ago. What prompted me to do so was that suddenly, I have had to pump the primer bulb so that it would start right up. Never had to do this before as the fuel pressure would hold when the outboard sat for a few weeks at a time and it would crank right up in the morning without pumping the primer. So I pulled the Tracker valve and in fact it had a tiny tear in it. Replaced it with a fresh purple one.

The issue has not gone away. Where else is the most common fuel pressure loss. O-Rings at injectors? Any thoughts?

Also when you replace the tracker valve, is there anything else I need to do?

Tom
    Hi Tom, Not Don but since has not responded yet I will offer a little insight.
    Keep in mind first off pumps can not pump what they cant get, if the tank is empty there will be no pressure. The vst is the tank that house the fuel pumps and must have proper fuel level for the pumps in order to build pressure, the fact it starts after pumping the bulb tells me that the vst was empty, this is why Don as well as many others will say to always pump the bulb before starting, Like you though I never do unless I have ran out gas or serviced the system. This leads me to believe that the vst has a small leak draining it when it sets. Check the water in fuel sensor, low pressure Schrader valve and the drains very closely for even a minute leak. Even one drop in a couple of hours could cause this. Also look for stains that may be caused by evaporated fuel. The vst will not refill by cranking the motor, it requires the bulb being pumped until firm which indicates the needle valve closed and the bulb is hard. After the motor is running the pulse will then maintain the fuel level in the vst when operating as designed. When bulb gets hard in with only a couple of pumps you can be fairly sure the vst is full, if you need to pump it a dozen times you can also be sure it was very low on fuel, due to leaks, evaporation or poor preforming pulse pump not maintaing fuel level before shutdown
    I am sure if leaks are not spotted you could rig a mighty vac to apply a low pressure to the vent to aid in leak testing, I am only talkin about only 1 or 2 psi
    Last edited by lpugh; 12-03-2018 at 07:19 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Member
    Old Timer, the primer bulb and fuel line is one year old and was working fine. Thank you for the input though. LPugh, this interesting. It will actually fire up and cough dead. Then I will need to crank it for about 10 to 15 seconds while coughing and then it will fire up. There will be a little smoke too. I was thinking that a fuel injector or two are leaking into a cylinder which then floods one cylinder and fuel pressure than decreases. Does that make sense or even possible?

Usually spitback, coughing back thru the intake is caused by a lean mix, though this is set in stone. Verify if it starts well when pumping the bulb and how many pumps before it is firm. Low fuel level in the vst could very well cause the symptom you describe. If injector are leaking you should have poor idle and plug fouling as well, I can see how a direct injector being open could cause your last symptom though. Keep it simple though and just be sure pump the bulb first and lets see where that takes us. I am assuming there are no other performance issue once it has started.

I live in the Sacramento area, call me any time if you like to discuss this on the phone 916 813 0321
    Last edited by lpugh; 12-04-2018 at 11:00 AM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tomloans View Post
    Old Timer, the primer bulb and fuel line is one year old and was working fine. Thank you for the input though. LPugh, this interesting. It will actually fire up and cough dead. Then I will need to crank it for about 10 to 15 seconds while coughing and then it will fire up. There will be a little smoke too. I was thinking that a fuel injector or two are leaking into a cylinder which then floods one cylinder and fuel pressure than decreases. Does that make sense or even possible?
    Was the Pulse Fuel Pump rebuilt at the same exact time those items were done (remember- specific items should ALWAYS be done, ALL at the same time).

Regardless, that is the first place I would be looking. A leaking diaphram in that pump would cause all of your symptoms.

Note: Be sure to pump bulb firm before EVERY engine start.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    yep I bought a brand new one about 9 months ago. May as well try it as what you said makes sense. the old one I rebuilt and will install and see if this makes a difference. I crossed it off the list only because i had just replaced it last year.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Pay very careful attention to the gasket and diaphram stacking order (and orientation). One of the most common problems we see is a gasket that is mis-oriented.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Thank you Don - good point.